Friendship Sloop by ZackP - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:12

Nice start on this kit.  This kit builds into a nice model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nice to see this interesting model being built, Zach. I'll be following along. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

If you can get your hands on a copy of  "The Classic Boat", The Time Life Library of Boating, there is a well done treatment of Jarvis Newman's restoration of Dictator (a Friendship). Pictures and detail to further add to this lovely model.

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Thistle!  I just ordered a copy.

I am having trouble with the deck placement.  no matter what I try F5 overhangs the deck.  F1-F4 lineup perfectly.  With the floor in place, moving F5 forward also changes the placement of F4 and F3 throwing those two out of alignment.  Any tips on the best way to proceed?  I think trimming the excess off of F5 will cause massive problems getting the planking to sit fair.  Maybe I could sister a strip to each deck half making it wider, then reshape the deck to meet the bulkheads?  Really scratching my head on this one.20210424_194355.thumb.jpg.2d8e455c03d883250a9fd51d3af5bf20.jpg

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but it seems like the area between the two red lines is straight rather than an arc.  Is it the same on the other side?  Scarfing on a short piece about 3/16" or so wide between the lines then fairing it would probably solve the issue.

fs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks alross,  It sat in the vice for 3 weeks with me looking at it and toying with it.  I ended up angling the aft-most bulkhead forward almost 1/2" which forced F4 and F3 into nearly perfect position.  I tacked F5-F3 into place, let it dry, then fastened F2, F1, and the stem, then stern. 

What I didn't realize at first is that attaching the deck, IS the stage where the alignment happens.  The deck pieces don't just fall right on top of the bulkheads.  This is the step where the proper spacing is made.

Once the remainder of the bulkheads are secured to the deck, I'll fine tune some of the edges, and fair out the slope on the deck, and fill in the few thousandths gap in between the deck halves.  Starting to look like a boat instead of a pile of sticks now!

186524114_312336503857073_4689433936786518441_n.jpg

186908594_312336540523736_5483421264225352236_n.jpg

187503937_312336630523727_1425473295335894228_n.jpg

• The title was changed to Friendship Sloop by ZackP - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1:12