New and Renew

spars

I'm not familiar with the various Vasa (Wasa) kits on the market, but this subject has come up in the past on several occasions, for example here (note: I only searched for "Vasa," not the "Wasa" variant spelling). Hope that helps get you started.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW. If you want good instructions then go with deagostini. I can't speak for the quality of the kit though. Its also the more expensive option.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Welcome to MSW, David.   If you'll go here this sub forum https://modelshipworld.com/forum/133-kit-build-logs-for-subjects-built-from-1501-1750/ and use the search function, you'll get hits on the logs.  You will probably need to do two searches, one for Wasa and the other for Vasa. Those logs will give you a good idea of what's involved as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the kits.

In the past, the Billings kit was considered the most accurate but I've heard that kit mentioned above is excellent as the Billings kit instructions were, shall we say, a bit sparse.  And from what I've heard, the quality of the Billings fittings aren't the best anymore.

As for tools.... for a kit, basic hand tools.  Here's like to the data base where they are discussed:  https://thenrg.org/resource/articles

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I checked the links and understand. Chinese knockoffs are pandemic. I know of them in their auto repair incarnation. I will stick with names I read here.

Thanx for the information. I'd rather buy the kit with the highest quality wood and fittings. As the rigging is so key to the character of the vessel I want to be as certain as possible I'm doing it right.

I checked micro-mark for measuring/cutting tools/angles/squares and so on. They seem to have the best selection I can find. I have many basic tools but fairing the hull requires more than I have at this time.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Billings Vasa was my first wooden shipmodel.

Sometimes difficult, But time and patience is what you need.

Good luck

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanx for the welcome. I appreciate it. Looking at the You Tube videos of the DiAgostini build I can see what you mean. I am retired(I do care for my handicapped adult son) so I have the time and some money enough to get the kit and tools I need. Wondering, setting aside the price and scale difference, DiAgostini vs Billings, which is the more accurate kit? Quality of the wood? The casting? Instructions/plans? For me its all about the journey of the build. I do have Vasa I by Cederlund and Hocker for reference.

Hi

I have both Billings and DiAgostinis Vasa and the difference is hugh, I think its not right to compare them.

DiAgostini-kit price is twice that of Billings, ofcourse the most is better in DiAgostini.

I am a beginner myself so I cant tell if all is ok in DiAgostini kit.

I think its the same kit you could buy from Artesania Latina  https://artesanialatina.net/en/ships-elite/62091-wooden-model-ship-kit-swedish-warship-vasa-1-65-8437021128031.html

One thing I like with the 1/65-kit is the basic construction of the ship. Much more stable than Billings.

The wood I think is better in the 1/65-kit, its really bad in Billings.

Thanx. I, too, noticed the kit price differential and scale differential-twice the price. DiAgostini has the advantage of the online YouTube build videos. The Artesanialatina at $999 is almost as the DiAgostini which is $1299. This may have to do with quality of material or where the company is located. Maybe I'll save up for the DeAgostini. In the meantime I'll stick to You Tube Vasa video and books I can read along with haunting this site.