Finally got the time to start model building

Posted (edited)

Hi,... thanks for accepting my registration.

I have a read your introduction and would like to ask advice from the community about starting my ship model building hobby.

My ultimate goal would be to build a RC sailing yacht.

So my main question is:

What would be a good first model to built in order to learn the necessary skills

My many thanks in advance,

Johan Reynaert

Edited by Johan Reynaert
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Johan Reynaert said:

Hi,... thanks for accepting my registration.

I have a read your introduction and would like to ask advice from the community about starting my ship model building hobby.

My ultimate goal would be to build a RC sailing yacht.

So my main question is:

What would be a good first model to built in order to learn necessary skills to built sailing boat models.

My many thanks in advance,

Johan Reynaert

welcome to MSW

i just built this and is suitable for RC By Amati

this is my build log link

Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - FINISHED - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 - Page 5 - - Kit build logs for subjects built from 1901 - Present Day - Model Ship World™

IMG_9176.JPG

Edited by Kevin

Johan,

Welcome to the forum! You may be interested in learning more about Marblehead class model yachts. These are all 50" long and range from vintage (1940s) wooden construction up to modern carbon fiber versions. While they are not models of actual larger boats, they are a lot easier to build for a beginner. Here's a photo of a build I am currently doing for a vintage hard chine model. 

Michael

BEE6EB53-FAFA-4743-8CA4-1047A4D05F40_1_105_c.jpeg.0f71b9d439f5baafc4c55e0dd9d7d51d.jpeg

Johan,

One more bit of advice I forgot to include earlier – don't expect to get any kind of sailing performance from a scaled-down model of a full sized yacht. It will not sail well at all except in the lightest of breezes. If you want an RC sailboat model with any kind of performance, it has to be designed specifically for that purpose with a deep keel, a heavy bulb, and much stronger than scale rigging. Here's an example from the American Model Yachting Association of a Marblehead pond yacht by Biff Martin. Interestingly, the designers of these classic models in the '40s and 50's came up with many of the concepts used in modern sailboat design decades before they were used on full size boats!

AmericanM.jpeg.781d03e2ce144857c1a47bca24d66c93.jpeg

Welcome to Model Ship World Johan.  The Lowell Grand Banks Dory is an excellent choice for your first wooden ship model.  There are several build logs of this kit on MSW that you can refer to.  Building this model will give you the skills to build more complicated ship models.  I hope you will start a build log of this model.