Bell Helicopters HTL-4 (MRC) & H-13H (Revell) 2 for 1 By Egilman - FINISHED - 1/35th scale

hey there bud!  good to see the start of these kits....life can be a problem sometimes........I go thru it too.  very nice start on the engines :)  Revell put out two other kits on the subject of MASH......at one time,  all of them were on the OMK site.  I'm more into Batman though :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

9 hours ago, Danstream said:

Caught up and following you mate.

Dan.

Good deal Brother, welcome aboard...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you Dennis, sometimes one must get on with it... life doesn't stop for anyone...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Aircraft interiors,  H-13 interiors, except for a few specialized birds, the aircraft interiors were Aircraft Grey, with Olive Drab seat cushions... Instrument columns were the same with black faced dials and radios... With these two birds we are dealing with essentially the same column... Some differences in electronics fit due to the date in service but still essentially the same thing...

H-13D/E column...

screenshot_83.thumb.png.ca4a27070a351e66948942d63be2f07a.png

H-13G/H Column...

13k_fm2015_oh-13g-1968wegner_live.jpg.c41d5d6e9db2353a242457d6cca75abb.jpg

A lot of times the radios mounted in the later versions wee painted black, which was pretty standard for a training bird... even though in this one the radios are grey... Although I just might make this image my exemplar, it fits what is in the kit well and has the right colors in the right places....

And here is a "D" model that has been upgraded to the G/H avionics standard....

IMG_9746-15.jpg.355b9670521ef0d646ecf5f70e7fc33e.jpg

Note the bigger black radio outfit on top of the instrument column... This is the outfit the Revell kit carries... still debating on grey or black electronics on the training bird...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Looking great Egilman.  Cool that you can see so much engine detail on these!

I happened to come across some new helicopter resin engines , rotors, and other parts that Reskit is putting out.  They look really fantastic.  Not sure if they have any parts for your particular model, but just wanted to pass that along.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The chrome valve covers were either what Lycoming had in stock at the time or were specified for some reason like "never need to repaint".

Since the radio was right up front and in your face so to speak, I would think that the black would be used as gray could/would cause some "glare" on the windscreen in the right conditions.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great Egilman.  Cool that you can see so much engine detail on these!

I happened to come across some new helicopter resin engines , rotors, and other parts that Reskit is putting out.  They look really fantastic.  Not sure if they have any parts for your particular model, but just wanted to pass that along.

Thanks my friend, I'm trying to make them as authentic as I can...

Interesting stuff there at Reskit, nothing to help here, but they have some very nice stuff for a few others in my stash..... And in the correct scales as well....

Quote:

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The chrome valve covers were either what Lycoming had in stock at the time or were specified for some reason like "never need to repaint".

Since the radio was right up front and in your face so to speak, I would think that the black would be used as gray could/would cause some "glare" on the windscreen in the right conditions.

I suspect your right Mark, the chrome rocker covers come directly from civilian production as the engine was a direct descendent from their four cylinder light commercial aircraft engine...

The black radios, that exact style of electronics package appears to be black in all variants I've come across, retro-fitted to "D"'s up to new installs in "S"'s so since that is what the kit has that is what it will get painted...

One of the problem of researching this aircraft is that there are very very few that are in their original issued condition... 6500 were built over 40 some odd years and when the military were finished with them they were scooped up in the civilian market quickly... Of course having to be type certified and upgraded to get their flying certificate, not very many retain their actual military look... Good military service pics are hard to find... Museum restos are easy to find but then they are restorations...

Hopefully they will be presentable when done and look something like the real in-service machines...

Quote:

I think yours will very presentable.  I do recall talking to someone once about the early Bells back when I was in the Marines.   We noticed some odd things on the Sikorsky's we had and the possibility that from day one, Bell like Sikorsky and even WWII a/c builders were using a lot of subcontractors.  At times, the contractors could use something other than spec items due to shortages.   So it's possible that the radios were farmed out and accepted even with the wrong color.   Come to think of it... the guy was an old Sargent Major, in our squadron for a few months until he retired.   A member of Carlson's Raiders and quickly moved to aircraft after their raid. (Footnote... this was in '68 so he was probably about 45 years old?  But he could tell some stories and had a chest full of medals.  And most of all... he was a good guy who like to hang with us "young" enlisted guys.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Instrument Columns... 

The kits different columns...

IMG_9830.thumb.JPG.39d31c500192649ff9e1c3b13f96e9fe.JPGIMG_9831.thumb.JPG.f0d72eb685ce6c8e2cd342a1bfaabef1.JPG

Of course the H-13H's column is on the left and the H-13D's is on the right....

Now the H13H's has the radio direction finder antenna (the loop on top) which is going to have to come off...  The basic training birds generally didn't have such equipment, the H-13D's I added the battery box, the kit had the shelf but not the box, notice that there is no radio mounted to the column.... The early air ambulances didn't have a radio....

You can easily see as time went on the avionics for this bird were in a constant state of upgrade and retro fitting...

Early 1950's H-13D Bell built Air Ambulance, no radio at all...

oh-13_bell_47_01_of_18.thumb.jpg.d415ab044068eafe4e7634d2b7115b4c.jpg

Below, an early 60's H-13H A USAEU Major Generals taxi.... note everything they could possibly carry as an extra accessory is on this bird....

33160675760_8057f94a09_b.jpg.2ee5065828685830dddf95165bf5b1e2.jpg

And of course below, a Ft Wolters H-13H... It carries the big radio in black with the grey column, (notice no direction finder antenna) avionics box behind the engine and battery installed out on the boom as a balance weight...

Bell13sps.jpg.430888a169bcf4fdeab7b228c1113461.jpg

They did a lot with these birds, constantly upgrading them...

So the columns will be Aircraft Grey with black instruments and one big huge black radio on the "H" model....

Onward..

Quote:

38 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think yours will very presentable.  I do recall talking to someone once about the early Bells back when I was in the Marines.   We noticed some odd things on the Sikorsky's we had and the possibility that from day one, Bell like Sikorsky and even WWII a/c builders were using a lot of subcontractors.  At times, the contractors could use something other than spec items due to shortages.   So it's possible that the radios were farmed out and accepted even with the wrong color.   Come to think of it... the guy was an old Sargent Major, in our squadron for a few months until he retired.   A member of Carlson's Raiders and quickly moved to aircraft after their raid. (Footnote... this was in '68 so he was probably about 45 years old?  But he could tell some stories and had a chest full of medals.  And most of all... he was a good guy who like to hang with us "young" enlisted guys.

Thank you Mark, I certainly hope so... there wasn't a lot of that during WWII or Korea, The WPB was still in effect until 1956 and all military production and procurement went thru them, there wasn't a whole lot of shopping around to fill shortages, they always had at least two suppliers for every critical part... it was required in the contracts... After that was another story though... the WPB was shut down and open bidding was established much like it was prewar... And of course the typical contractor shenanigan's that brought with it...

Those old guys were the best weren't they, they would just love to, as they would put it, bring the young guys along on how it really is.... (and was) a lot of veteran experience was taught and great stories told... (while disposing of prodigious amounts of illegal beer I've been told, gotta teach the young'uns right you know, according to my father)

Quote:

I feel  you're right on the supply thing, though during the Korean War, lots of things got messed up and garbled, cobbled, and generally worked around.  

Illegal beer????  We were stateside.  He'd take off his rank insignia and join us at the enlisted club or just let us know, he'd pick us up at X:XX pm for dinner, beer, and stories.   I have long suspected that we were his therapy for all that he went through.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

There was a lot of field expediency going on that's for sure, substitution was the word for mission critical equipment, whatever it took to keep it going...

Yep, illegal beer, (according to my father) but that was overseas, Korea and Japan... He said there was many a time the seniors got together with some of the more promising young troopers fresh from the states (particularly the young "shavetails" ie. gold bar generals as he called them) to pass a few cases around and "Instruct" them on how the military "Really" functioned out here... {chuckle} great stories even if some of them weren't exactly completely true....

I suspect your right, My father told a lot of stories, but the real serious ones he would get all silent and refuse to talk sometimes...  There was a lot of therapy in those stories...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

14 hours ago, Egilman said:

I suspect your right, My father told a lot of stories, but the real serious ones he would get all silent and refuse to talk sometimes...  There was a lot of therapy in those stories...

More truth to that then many want to believe.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice looking H-13/Bell 47.  One of my greatest regrets was not getting my rotary add-on to my Pilots License.  There was a guy at Prescott AZ (where I was working on my Commercial License) who would for $1000 get you your Rotary Wing Certificate in a Bell 47!  All the ground instruction plus 10 hours stick time.  Sorry I missed out.  Ah, the road not taken... 

8 hours ago, Grayhawk said:

Nice looking H-13/Bell 47.  One of my greatest regrets was not getting my rotary add-on to my Pilots License.  There was a guy at Prescott AZ (where I was working on my Commercial License) who would for $1000 get you your Rotary Wing Certificate in a Bell 47!  All the ground instruction plus 10 hours stick time.  Sorry I missed out.  Ah, the road not taken... 

Thanks Greyhawk...

Yeah there is a lot of those missed roads in everyone's life.... everyone could write a book about them.... {chuckle}

Quote:

Ok Instrument columns....

IMG_9832.thumb.JPG.8e7fc15f651bc909f446d48b8435b1cf.JPGIMG_9833.thumb.JPG.4b7b51b62cdf122a57e1b4ec0027bef5.JPG

I added the battery box to the H-13D column, it was missing from the kit....

Next up, the cockpit floors/cabin interiors....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

OK, nice job with the instrument columns.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

21 hours ago, Danstream said:

OK, nice job with the instrument columns.

Dan

Thanks Dan.... (although I'm a bit rusty with the paint) probably should have used a marker...

Quote:

Part way through the H-13D/E cockpit assembly....

IMG_9834.thumb.JPG.40c13d76749f297916776470a18396a4.JPGIMG_9835.thumb.JPG.f0dc22b45a0e6c9fe47d207caac8f98f.JPGIMG_9837.thumb.JPG.5bbf58ca7f1a0a427f66a56b57b82801.JPG

A little more detail painting some touch ups and some shoulder belts.... It's pretty plain jane...  But that's what they were in the early Korean war.... Essentially they were considered as nothing more than air jeep's, many had only single controls, they would send one out to some coordinates on a map, pick up your passenger, (if you could find them) and come back to base... Radios were quickly added to them as they made the job a lot easier... But for the first ones out there in the first few months of the war, it took a lot of courage to do air evac missions... If you went down, you were on your own...

Quote:

Haven't been able to get a lot done the last day or so... but the H-13D Cockpit is almost done...

IMG_9838.thumb.JPG.824c6d1c8ec803f40f3aadbae889283f.JPGIMG_9839.thumb.JPG.1619c1b9cbd883aaaaa1b80f3f66571c.JPG

Quote:

Good to see you picking these two models back up Egilman and you've made some nice progress as well.  I really like the way the instrument columns turned out - very nice indeed!  Looking forward to more updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Looking great Egilman!  Very intricate work on those harnesses which you pulled off perfectly.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

15 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Good to see you picking these two models back up Egilman and you've made some nice progress as well.  I really like the way the instrument columns turned out - very nice indeed!  Looking forward to more updates.

Gary

Thanks Gary, it was time to get back with building, will keep plugging along... {chuckle} Thank you very much for the support.... (coming from you wow, much appreciated)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

14 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great Egilman!  Very intricate work on those harnesses which you pulled off perfectly.

Thanks Mike, still a bit rusty but they did need something to hang over those bare seats... Perfect? I could only wish, I'll leave the perfection to you guys, still just a plastic hacker... {chuckle}

Thanks for following... and the words of encouragement...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The start of the H-13H cockpit...

This is my exemplar... I know this a Ft Wolters bird on the main apron.. That is the main field control tower in the background with a whole bunch of TH-55's hanging around. I'm not going to put the gap in the middle of the seat like in the pic cause I wouldn't have a way to mount the seat back if I did that so it will be a full red back... but other than that, this is my color pattern...

13k_fm2015_oh-13g-1968wegner_live.jpg.07ce1f49731270d01267b6b50beb2402.jpg

And this is my start....

IMG_9840.thumb.JPG.71984e44ae5f1a7c64eca37419796328.JPG

Rough painting.... But we will get there eventually...

Onwards My Friends...

Quote:

The H-13 H cockpit almost finished....

IMG_9841.thumb.JPG.e1e94242deb3d0a050e93b4330aa4b6c.JPGIMG_9842.thumb.JPG.7da6e15385148776dffd6d3901ba416e.JPGIMG_9843.thumb.JPG.0043d6bcc3f0249d827fb9af1e991e0a.JPG

Seatbelts, a few touchups and waiting for some international orange to paint the outside with....

Onwards..

Quote:

Ok I've decided to put the cockpits aside for now until paint and supplies arrive... This is where they stand at the moment...

IMG_9844.thumb.JPG.98a9aeea2803f56df5af67388be0dae5.JPGIMG_9845.thumb.JPG.64dc99f2f6e4d2fe15d29f930ee5d9ca.JPG

Notice one of the things captured in the different models? The shape of the cockpit... Lower and squatter in the "H", model (on the right) than the "D"/"E" model on the left... And quarter panel door cutouts for the "H"... A lot of design advancement in just a few years represented here... And accurate model design as well...

Next up is the tail booms, first the "D" model then a huge decision on the "H" model boom, do I correct the biggest deficiency of the Revell model or build it as is... (the overscale triangular shaped booms)

A ton of work...

Onwards my friends...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The tail booms on these two aircraft models...

IMG_9846.thumb.JPG.dde730708b79ff84fef2d30eeacdee8b.JPG

Of course the white plastic one in the foreground in four pieces is the MRC/Italieri one and is the Boom for the H-13D/E...

In the background in olive drab plastic is the Revell tail boom essentially a single molded piece... that is an issue with the kit...

Essentially the boom is made of round steel tube on the aircraft to save weight this is easily seen in the MPC/Italeri kit and it appears the same on the Revell kit but it really isn't...

IMG_9847.thumb.JPG.367d83abc9afaac652a77ca65e1deefd.JPGIMG_9848.thumb.JPG.f5d00819acfc1e962aee6afd7426bbb0.JPG

They are really triangular shaped with a pretty substantial flat inside the boom, and it is readily noticeable on the assembled model... Looking thru the online repository of build reports there are three ways to fix this...

First, sand them all round with a needle file.......... right ....

Second, buy a second italieri kit and replace them.... yeah ok for that one as well...

Third, build your own replacement tail boom out of round stock....

Most of the boom was built with 1" welded steel tube, .028" in scale.... Yes, they do make solid round stock styrene that small... Problem is building it in scale would make for a very delicate fragile boom out of 1/32" stock... Looking at the Italieri kit they molded it in .050 size give or take a few thous. Scaling up would make a two inch tube size on the real thing...

IMG_9849.thumb.JPG.9d0edc6f920b23f18224021a803a940b.JPG

I have .020, .025, .050 & .062  so I can do either true scale in .020 & .025 or Italieri scale at .050 & .062.... 

There is one last option, build the Revell out of the box... My common sense tells me to build it OOTB, the easiest way... (which I really didn't intend to do when I started this)

Purchasing another is not applicable here... So the choice would have to be rebuild it either in common with the italieri scale for strength or in true scale for realism....

To be honest I haven't decided yet... I would have to strip off all the specialized parts off the Revell frame and adapt them to any new frame I construct, and figure a way to do it without gluing it all down to the bench... lots of cutting and fitting... I guess I could make the attempt in real scale, just to see if I can do it in that size plastic, and if it doesn't work do it in the larger sized plastic using what I learned from the first...  I would still have the complete untouched Revell frame to fall back on as OOTB if neither of those works out well.....

Gonna think about this for a bit....

Anyways I'll be doing the MRC/Italieri H-13D bird first so that will prepare me a bit for working long hair skinny thin plastic that needs to be kept straight...

Wish me luck...

Quote:

Oy, tough decision. Can you cobble up a fixture to do the vee parts of the boom with the thicker rod, since they look symmetrical. Thicker only because of the strength needed.Then another jig holding the vee sections vertical, so you can attach the top parts.

If it was brass rod, I'd go thinner, but my soldering skills are better employed doing electrical work. 😉 In prior endeavors, years back, I attempted a corrugated engine house and a car kit. Kept unsoldering prior work. Thank the stars for CA.😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild