Cutty Sark by Bluntysmodels - Artesania Latina - 1:84

Hi All. This is only my second model ship and I started it in February so a bit of catching up on the log to do. I wasn't going to do a log but another member suggested it could be useful to others so here goes. I want it to look nice rather than be historically accurate in every detail.

I will skip quickly through to where I am now. I will add a few images from the early stages as well.

I made up the frame and put the decking on. I used  a 2B pencil on the edges of the planks for the caulking.

IMG_0874.jpeg

Edited by Bluntysmodels
Typo corrected

Then the hull planking. I did it in quarters and pinned it temporarily. I then removed all the pins before sanding. I have decided I am going to paint below the waterline in copper paint rather than buying plates or leaving as polished mahogany as the AL instructions. Mostly to hide a few sins.

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

Bringing the log up to date now. I have had a significant slow down due to missing a pre-cut sheet. The kit contained 2 of one Walnut deck parts instead of 2 different ones. So I am accumulating many part built fittings waiting for the replacement.

AL are good at replacing for free, but the downside is it is shipped from Hong Kong and they have said the due to Covid it has to be sent by ship, so will not arrive until possibly mid June.

A good example of the vague instruction is for the Latrines on the dec. The instructions just say: With parts 26, 103, 129 and 130 mount the latrine bilge pump. With parts 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 and 136 mount the windlass and with parts 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 and 146 mount the latrines. and a tiny pic in the book.

I am also not happy with my pin rails so have bought some more wood strip and am going to do them again while I wait.

I have been doing a full log/blog on Blogger which has more pics if anyone is interested.

IMG_1053.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 13.53.15.png

As I have time waiting for the missing parts to arrive I have decided I was not happy with the pinrails and lower deadeyes. The instructions were to put a loop in the tail of the chain plates and nail through the bulwark. But this was just not very practical and I could not see how I would thread the eyes.

I have removed the rails and bought some new strip (there was not enough to start again in the kit) This time I am drilling in the edge of the deck and inserting the chain plates into these. I will do this when I do the standing rigging, after threading them so I can get the even lengths.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for the parts from AS to arrive so have started to make up the masts. Foremast and Main mast assembled and ready to mount.

On another side I am struggling with the hand rails on the accommodation ladder. The stanchions are too small to attach and maintain the tension or get the brass wire straight.

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

Go on!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 3 weeks later...

You are doing a nice job. Please keep us posted about your proceedings.

Leo

Edited by LeoM

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

• 1 month later...

At long last  the missing laser cut sheet arrived from HK. So I am now able to resume the deck fittings. Although it is a bit hot at the moment to be sitting inside!.

Still not happy wit the accommodation ladder. Will leave that for now as it can be finished any time and mounted.

I do have another problem though. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The pre-cast boat supports for the life boats and jolly boat are supposed to fit between the gunwhales. But for some reason the width of my model is about 15mm too wide for the forward one and 4mm for the aft one, see pics. It was all built on the frame so not sure why it is too wide. I suspect I will have to make supports out of wood instead to fit.

On a lighter note I have booked a trip to the actual Cutty Sark in August to remind me of what it really looks like and to take some pictures.

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have managed to adapt the boat supports to reach across the ship and have mounted the lifeboats, etc.

I have also fitted the accommodation ladder so all the deck work is complete.

Now to start the rigging! Masts are prepared ready to be put in. Any tips on getting the rake angle correct?

I have also re-painted some parts after my trip to the real thing.

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

DSC00695.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Blunty. Your model looks great! Lots of very nice detailing. As for the rake of the masts they do vary a little. I have Longridge's book and he states that the foremast is raked at 86*, the main mast 85*and the mizzen mast 84*. The angle is measured from the horizontal  to the after side of each mast. Therefore they are angled aft, for clarification,

By the way, I wondered if you could send me a photo of the bow and stern decoration that's included in your kit. The ones from Billing that I have are not ideal, especially, the stern. I am thinking of applying to AL to see if I could purchase a set of theirs.

Anyhoo, great work so far. Good luck with the masting and rigging!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

That's an impressive looking model, Blunty! She looks great so far. I'm familiar as well with how frustrating the vague AL instructions can be but you seem to be doing just fine regardless.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:50 PM, petervisser said:

Hi Blunty. Your model looks great! Lots of very nice detailing. As for the rake of the masts they do vary a little. I have Longridge's book and he states that the foremast is raked at 86*, the main mast 85*and the mizzen mast 84*. The angle is measured from the horizontal  to the after side of each mast. Therefore they are angled aft, for clarification,

By the way, I wondered if you could send me a photo of the bow and stern decoration that's included in your kit. The ones from Billing that I have are not ideal, especially, the stern. I am thinking of applying to AL to see if I could purchase a set of theirs.

Anyhoo, great work so far. Good luck with the masting and rigging!

Peter

Hi Peter

Took a while but here are pics of the decorations. They are reasonable representations.

Pete

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

Thanks for the pic's Pete. I have put in a request to AL for the parts comprising the bow and stern decoration. Fingers crossed that they get back to me...

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I used something very similar on my Cutty Shrouds.

20211101_201649.thumb.jpg.debf28c27c416b79821f09d945d3b168.jpg

The two strips are CA'ed to the jaws of the clamp on the left and then just clamp the other end when its positioned correctly. I found that anything heavier than this dragged on the shrouds and upset the balance and tension of the shroud.

I too would credit the idea to this platform but not to any specific post.

Very nice shrouds, your Cutty is looking very good.

Simon

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello Blunty, I was wondering if you made any further progress, as your Cutty Sark is looking great.

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat