Beginners Question on Finishes

Hi to all. I am fairly new to building and had a finishing question. I was considering using a clear poly finish especially on the dark woods that come with many kits.

Many kits have the wood connected on “sheets”. Is their a reason why you can not apply a clear finish BEFORE removing from the sheets and assembling? Seems it would be a lot quicker and better coverage.

I realize that some glues will not adhere properly to some finishes, but if the glue is NOT a problem, can you do this?

0CC4CBFB-AFC1-4328-B475-CD4855B3D4F6.jpeg

Edited by My 2 Stars

You can, but there is generally a lot of 'processing' involved to make the pieces fit properly. I also like to round sharp edges to give it a softer feel. All this filing and sanding will destroy the finish, so you will have to reapply the finish. Personally I don't see the benefit, but that is also because for me the glue is a factor.

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

I  agree with Piet and would say do not  apply any type of finish until all parts are removed from the sheet, the char from the laser is removed and it is glued in place.  For just one example, the cheeks of the gun carriages have axles glued to the bottoms.  If you apply a finish, it will go in the cut slots of each piece and have to be removed before gluing.   Also, some parts will be painted.   Same problem, it will get in the cut slots and have to be removed.  

I just don't see how applying a finish before hand will have any benefit, and it definitely could cause problems.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

A finish is applied after the parts are assembled and sanded.  It is a very rare part that isn't processed in some way after being removed from the sheet.  I can't think of any laser cut  part that can be finished prior to sanding to some extent.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

M2S, I hope you start a build log.  We enjoy watching the progress of our new members.