Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

Dear all,

this is beginning of bringing to life one of most famous and beautiful vessel of American gold era of clipper lineage, last D. McKays clipper.

She materialized same year as British cutty sark, being medium clipper of 2000 something tons, cutty sark should be a little smaller sibling sister :) of distant world comparing to it. But composite not wooden with different buidling philosophy and tradition and innovations far apart of what was going on in new world.

Some brief introduction needed.

Its been one and a half years now of my modeling and joining this great site of maritime interest. This attempt started boldly with enthusiasm and knowledge of few great skilled folks around Rob Wiedderich, (not included myself, im merely just a fan :) ) and  effort has lasted now about for one year of research, It wouldnt have been  without everyone passion to question and doubt every single measurement and photograph thew to the table.

It must be stated that Michael Mjelde , the last authority of Glory subject helped himself to  this effort, providing some rare unpublished photographs to be seen, measured and calculated.

His design of bulkheads was used but reshaped to the point, that bearing in mind there were not merely all photographs available in time of his drawing, various aspects of vessel were significantly redesigned. Mostly speaking of stern and bow profile, sheer line gradients on aft and forwards.

Since I built cutty in almost no shipmodeling skills, I learn a bits from Chucks group installments atm. I helped guys to draw lines in program and knowing folk that can laser cut, challenge rose to have her done.  After hull is completed we intend to continue research and program draw her deck installments, as true as possible. I myself want to have hull completed by end of this year to the milestone of famous McKays launch photography to be able to celebrate with folks interested  around christmas. Thats for this years plan. Work continues lately on designing glorys figurehead , once it is successful we would like her to be 3D printed of some sort. Design of ship will follow model shipways fantastic method of clipper building and drawing followed that method in mind...

My enthusiasm rose with few categories. First, I am truly happy that not another flying fish clipper is to be built, but a NEW vessel. And it wouldnt be without books of Michael Mjelde, and his writing ability to almost personify and breath live to story which itself it so fascinating and true. be it her birth as last McKays attempt to gamble on his debts by putting all effort to make the best of his hands, at the verge of era that finally won against him, but ship herself proved to be so well built and successful throughout her life. and tragic end of course that is sad part of her story. Clippers remain my favourites in ships, and I intend to build her to my very best with some very best of materials ans boxwood for moldings....be it even few years...but when I have window, I can speed up for sure. Thank you everyone interested in advance, I think Rob and Richard are building as well, and everyone is encourage to build one for himself as well.

" An account of the ship in Boston and San Francisco newspapers in 1869 :

This is a magnificent vessel of 2102 tons register, with capacity to carry double that amount of california freight. She has three decks, with all her acxcomodations on the upper deck, and is of a splendid model to carry and sail. Her bow has a bold,  dashy rake, with lightly concave lines below, but convex above and terminates in a full femae classical figure with flowing drapery. The stern is curylinear, finely formed, and the run is long and clean and sets gracefully into fullness of the hull. The stern is tastefully ornamented with gilded carved work on a black ground. viewedd broadside she has all imposing majesty of a ship of war, combined with the airy buyoancy of a clipper. Every seam of her planking harmonizes beautifully with her sheer, everyone who has any idea of nautical beauty and grandeur combined, cannot fail to admire her. Her talented builder Mr.Donald McKay has produced many splendid vessels, but we consider this one an improvement of them all. Not only on account of her matchless beauty, but also on account of her great strength, and completeness of her equipment.

she is 250 ft long, LBP, 265ft LOA, and 44 ft beam, 28 ft 6 inches depoth of hold, with three full decks.

here are some bits from designing....

Screenshot_2021-04-01_20-43-30.thumb.png.be0a9dfb04244d35ad4d02d17cf8d5aa.png

Screenshot_2021-04-01_19-19-41.png.8d069a9d99f8d4491447397913be94a9.png

Chapter 1.

centerline

I tried to make sure keel line is straight, and fastened 2 pine blocks over laser cut joint as it was still a bit wobbly. its 6 mm poplar, amazingly light and breeeze to sand off. Centerline is ready to put rabbet line and stem to be thinned to propriate thickness. 

apology for long post, it was introduction so next it will be very short. hopefully soon

Thanks, Vlad

20210425_111037.jpg

20210425_105817.jpg

20210425_105341.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-01_19-20-57.png

Screenshot_2021-04-11_14-46-49.png

Screenshot_2021-04-11_13-21-05.png

Screenshot_2021-03-20_12-41-41.png

Screenshot_2021-03-25_12-26-34.png

Vladimir....I recall when we first encountered and you had just begun or shortly begun your Cutty Sark build.   I was telling you of my passion for American clippers and especially for Donald McKay clippers.  You became enchanted as much as I .   I had initially begun my own study for my first build of Glory over 14 years ago and started the composite model in 2010.  It is amazing to me to see where it has all come.  I met Richard several years ago and he explained of his own passions for Glory.  It wasn't until Richard and I began a serious study of Glory when you brought your own talents of design and Cad ability to the table.

It probably wouldn't have happened as quickly and proficiently if we hadn't had the expertise of Mike Mjelde and his willingness to accommodate our desire to create the most accurate version of Glory that had been produced thus far.

Now we find ourselves at the beginnings of your own Glory build.  The results of a near year long compilation of many researchers and Glory historian buffs.  What a fantastic journey.   I can't wait.  I will be following this log with great anticipation.

I hope to be creating my own  build log of her soon myself.  We can bounce off one another on construction ideas and material uses.

I have already developed another clamping system and am planning on mods to the framing to accommodate more to scale entrance and exit dimensions.   Your participation in the fulfillment of this next build of Glory of the Seas cannot be underemphasized.  I appreciate your willingness to help myself and Rich in the acquisition of your fine scaled bulkhead frames.    It would be cool if someone like Nic of BlueJacket ship crafters would be interested in making Glory of the Seas a new addition to their fine line of finely crafter model kits.

And here we go.......

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I will follow with interest. 

A quick question. Do you have access to a laser cutter or use a commercial service? If the latter, which one and what did they need to do the cutting?

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

On 4/26/2021 at 6:26 AM, gak1965 said:

A quick question. Do you have access to a laser cutter or use a commercial service? If the latter, which one and what did they need to do the cutting?

George K

George...not to answer for Vladimir...but I believe he has a provider of such services in his own country   Slovakia.  I believe Vladimir provided them with the 2D CAD drawings...then they cut the bulkheads.   All rather nicely done, IMV.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hey Vlad...hows things coming along?  Have you begun planking her yet?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Vlad, glad to see another build from you. Looking forward to following along on another beautiful ship.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

On 4/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, gak1965 said:

George K

George, thanks i follow your fish closely so i try to observe specific caveats of model shipways design as we made it upon their design. i use commertially available cutting service. they usually need only draw in pdf. :) im not sure what laser they have. but ill ask becasue later down the road ill beed to cut miniarures with very thin cut. 

On 4/26/2021 at 2:25 PM, rwiederrich said:

Vladimir....I recall when we first encountered and you had just begun or shortly begun your Cutty Sark build.   I was telling you of my passion for American clippers and especially for Donald McKay clippers.  You became enchanted as much as I .   I had initially begun my own study for my first build of Glory over 14 years ago and started the composite model in 2010.  It is amazing to me to see where it has all come.  I met Richard several years ago and he explained of his own passions for Glory.  It wasn't until Richard and I began a serious study of Glory when you brought your own talents of design and Cad ability to the table.

It probably wouldn't have happened as quickly and proficiently if we hadn't had the expertise of Mike Mjelde and his willingness to accommodate our desire to create the most accurate version of Glory that had been produced thus far.

Now we find ourselves at the beginnings of your own Glory build.  The results of a near year long compilation of many researchers and Glory historian buffs.  What a fantastic journey.   I can't wait.  I will be following this log with great anticipation.

I hope to be creating my own  build log of her soon myself.  We can bounce off one another on construction ideas and material uses.

I have already developed another clamping system and am planning on mods to the framing to accommodate more to scale entrance and exit dimensions.   Your participation in the fulfillment of this next build of Glory of the Seas cannot be underemphasized.  I appreciate your willingness to help myself and Rich in the acquisition of your fine scaled bulkhead frames.    It would be cool if someone like Nic of BlueJacket ship crafters would be interested in making Glory of the Seas a new addition to their fine line of finely crafter model kits.

And here we go.......

Rob

Thanks Rob for nice post. is been no doubt godsend to me the fact i was welcomed here and my passions for clippers by your gratious generosity friendship  and help . and others. its remark of 21 century technology might and human  brain evolution and genetic advantage to cooperate which gives us advantage apart of other living species. my apology for not   following  my own topic lately as im out of time atm. hopefully soon ill be free... 

• 5 weeks later...

Slight progress inhere....

Preparation work for planking is not very exciting works at least for me nothing looking dashy yet it is very important one. I finally kicked myself into it, and glued bulkheads first and than I  had to stiff and rigid the hull as bulkheads are way apart of each other. I cut same cubic pieces of   wood and worked with many leftovers so they fit it the place.  It looks pretty simple but one must check if the centerline is straight all the time and so i glued pieces in three sections

Yet still i managed to derail bow but there is perfect easy way to return the tide. I cut those inpieces parallel in the place of turn and was able to turn it stright i inglued a wedge to one side and voila. Im now getting closer to sanding the hull which is slow important task. I also checked keel timbers assembly rhough i will have to work scarfs ij them.  One disdvantage ship  is quite heavy  now but those big pieces glued give me assurance it is stiff. the skeleton is now very rigid itself which i like Till next, thanks for watching etc...

Vlad. 

20210610_142347.jpg

20210610_120711.jpg

20210610_132553.jpg

20210610_142946.jpg

20210610_132623.jpg

20210610_142953.jpg

20210610_131702.jpg

20210610_141255.jpg

20210610_141300.jpg

20210610_143100.jpg

20210610_142222.jpg

20210610_120655.jpg

20210610_142339.jpg

20210610_131942.jpg

20210610_120706.jpg

Here we go....blocking it up and making its bulkheads true......

Guess the bug bit ya hard Vlad......  Glad you're making a go at it too.  I'll be watchin closely.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

On 6/10/2021 at 8:06 PM, rwiederrich said:

Here we go....blocking it up and making its bulkheads true......

Guess the bug bit ya hard Vlad......  Glad you're making a go at it too.  I'll be watchin closely.

Rob

Rob,i hope  it will be fun and interesting to watch two very different styles and approaches on same model. one for sure , you will be miles ahead though. 

i am about to work waterways out. there is no way i can bend such big timber thus  in this matter with my scale i have to first draw line over hull into some thin plywood to make pattern than appy pattern to some 5 mm thick wood and cut or sand down as bueatiful curve as possible but to make it so narrow it will be challenge. looks like same will go for sheerline. so challenges on every step will hold me back a lot. ...no rush there. :) 

Great start Vlad. Nice job on getting that backbone straight. Looking forward to more updates. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Issues. 

Dear clipper afficionados, 

I had fantastic time today working on glory surprised how much work ive done even it was not planned. 

I was surprised how many issues was with evening bulkheads. Much work - youre correct Rob. first, there is no advantage to have not many bulkheads because every attempt to fasten them misalign centerline. But there is no workaround i guess. Second. These bulkheads were offset from book so it was to be that there will be some issues. What i was suprised those were in middle ! . I was pleased how bow and stern played well. No issue there. But there was quite a lot  i had to add or remove for at least 3 bulkheads . It was slow work as i had to align with plank over entire hull...but  I enjoyed all the process, much easier to sand the poplar. Voila. She is sanded already ! And even im pretty satisfied. I want to build her to my best so there is no time to rush me...only planking will show sharpness of my eyes, and evennes but i intend to plank with thicker as usual so i can even her after planking to extent needed. 

There was issue with bulkhead no 4 as I expected as I derailed from Michael Mjelde and drew it less sharp on the too side so rail and topgalant profike from above is smoither longer arrow - different from his design. There had to be fillup in center of bulkhead however which i issued and corrected. You can see the pic. 

Bulkheads 10 and 11 were pain as well those seemed to me thicker than should be giving hull strange bump so i had to even thst bump. But considering last stern bulkhead curve  is basicaly guess and also bulkhead i am really pleased watching Robs iteration and also eirh mine after alignments and sanding. Cant wait to plank her. 

Another thing was i made pattern for waterway , so i can cut it straight. It alsi shows if curve of bulkheads  is smooth band elegant enough i can go further. 

I added some plywood on the deck fasterned it by two naips and run thin strake along bulkheads so i could draw pencip line to the plywood of that pattern of waterway will be cut basicaly. ...i think line is pleasingly even. Many pics to fillow. Thanks for any comment etc. This time i wleven didnt break bow upper forecastle bulkheads extensions. Strange. New lt i guess i will add keel,  make knightheads ( that will be important fun and stern profile.

Vlad.

20210615_142504.jpg

20210615_142551.jpg

20210615_142554.jpg

20210615_142555.jpg

20210615_153219.jpg

20210615_153226.jpg

20210615_131747.jpg

20210615_153758.jpg

20210615_131750.jpg

20210615_153811.jpg

20210615_132203.jpg

20210615_132216.jpg

20210615_140320.jpg

20210615_142502.jpg

20210615_132438.jpg

20210615_155226.jpg

20210615_132447.jpg

20210615_133019.jpg

20210615_160000.jpg

20210615_133026.jpg

20210615_133029.jpg

20210615_133655.jpg

20210615_133659.jpg

20210615_133743.jpg

20210615_133750.jpg

20210615_154120.jpg

20210615_154125.jpg

20210615_132331.jpg

20210615_154426.jpg

20210615_164703.jpg

20210615_164713.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

Great start Vlad.

I see you are running into the same issues I did with the bulkheads.  some are slightly indented to the curve of the hull....and others are slightly over extended to the curve.

I see you are using plank to bulkhead dead reckoning....good move.  It helps keep the hull fluid and smooth.

I noticed yo had to remove quite a bit of material on the forecastle bulkheads...by way of your internal reinforcing.

I was going to lay a sub deck as you are working up to, but I didn't want the extra added material to impede the height of the deck to bulwark ratio.  So I am going to add the decking directly to the bulkhead headers....much like the Flying Fish model.  The smaller scale will not directly effect the stability of the deck.

Great progress...love it.   I'm so glad you decided to begin.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Looking great so far. Pretty big hull at 1:72. If I'm calculating correctly, it's about 900 mm, right? Going to be an awesome model when you are done!

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

Vlad....you're doing a fantastic job faring out those bulkheads.  Adding and subtracting material to make sure your angles of clination are just right.

Love the attention to detail.    I found myself doing exactly the same thing.....however.....I tend to augment that with the addition of external compounds on the hull that I sand in.     I check...add...sand...check...add...sand....until I'm satisfied.

Much of the hull will be covered in copper tape...treated to look like Muntz metal.....so I feel I can allow some very minor blemishes to remain in those locations.

More unorthodox methods are upon me.  I will add the preassembled bulwarks(Up to the main rail) to the planksheer .  Starting from the aft, moving forward from the poop.  I can easily bend the precut veneer bulwarks with the framing added.....to the planksheer...forming along the hull, easier then if I simple add the framing, then lay strakes, as most kit processes outline.

I've done and gone against my original notion of NOT adding a sub deck and I added one of thin maple veneer.   I gathered there would be too much flex in the deck between bulkheads......so to prevent minimal gapping and flex of these deck timbers....I went for it.

The addition of the thin veneer sub deck is very minimal any way.

I'm prepping for holiday to the coast, so I will not be working on Glory till next week...but I will take a pic of the new additions when I get home from work today.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

16 hours ago, gak1965 said:

Looking great so far. Pretty big hull at 1:72. If I'm calculating correctly, it's about 900 mm, right? Going to be an awesome model when you are done!

Thank you. yes it might be about that size with bowsprit and bobstays even more. I would definitely not want it bigger though. thank for comment. V. im doing it looking at fish plane and watching yours guys. Vlad. 

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Vlad....you're doing a fantastic job faring out those bulkheads.  Adding and subtracting material to make sure your angles of clination are just right.

Love the attention to detail.    I found myself doing exactly the same thing.....however.....I tend to augment that with the addition of external compounds on the hull that I sand in.     I check...add...sand...check...add...sand....until I'm satisfied.

Much of the hull will be covered in copper tape...treated to look like Muntz metal.....so I feel I can allow some very minor blemishes to remain in those locations.

More unorthodox methods are upon me.  I will add the preassembled bulwarks(Up to the main rail) to the planksheer .  Starting from the aft, moving forward from the poop.  I can easily bend the precut veneer bulwarks with the framing added.....to the planksheer...forming along the hull, easier then if I simple add the framing, then lay strakes, as most kit processes outline.

I've done and gone against my original notion of NOT adding a sub deck and I added one of thin maple veneer.   I gathered there would be too much flex in the deck between bulkheads......so to prevent minimal gapping and flex of these deck timbers....I went for it.

The addition of the thin veneer sub deck is very minimal any way.

I'm prepping for holiday to the coast, so I will not be working on Glory till next week...but I will take a pic of the new additions when I get home from work today.

Rob

Yes Rob, all good points there, thank you.  

but to tell the truth, im still not decided on finish and therefore on process. I saw nice brigantine today with all wooden finish that apealed to me not painted at all. I think you liked it as well. I have to think it over again and again. All i know I want to use boxwood for molda and sheers. Im not sure i want to go with coppering this time.... so even without paint it can go pretty if i palnk her with dark wood and light wood for contrast. 

there are basically two ways and aproaches for me. going with true colors or going with wooden contrasts.... Im ready to plank her properly if going with wood . well... i have to think. not decided yet. 

V. 

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Yes Rob, all good points there, thank you.  

but to tell the truth, im still not decided on finish and therefore on process. I saw nice brigantine today with all wooden finish that apealed to me not painted at all. I think you liked it as well. I have to think it over again and again. All i know I want to use boxwood for molda and sheers. Im not sure i want to go with coppering this time.... so even without paint it can go pretty if i palnk her with dark wood and light wood for contrast. 

there are basically two ways and aproaches for me. going with true colors or going with wooden contrasts.... Im ready to plank her properly if going with wood . well... i have to think. not decided yet. 

V. 

I agree.  If you are going to only plank her...your planking job has to be spot on.  And to use several colors to denote the coppering and such is a great idea.

Like I've always said along...I'm pretty much a sloppy hack model builder...preferring to cover my multitude of sins with paint and copper then work hard at making my strake joints perfect.

I'm looking forward to your planking beginnings.

Rob 

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Issues. Issues. 

Well,  im going to paint her. Definite. Finally moved somewhere. There was myriad of issues with bulkheads i would finally not recommend this unprofessional set of bulkheads  to  novice to deal with so much corrections. So many sanding to set waterway properly. Bumps ups and downs etc. Still  yet I  cant imagine shaping this beautiful vessel i without grand help of this  laser cut set. Anyway  lately i had bad day nothing went ok  but today i moved on  brilliantly. I dont have trained eye but i used help of photography as well. There is no point to continue if those most important design lines like waterway / as base for sheer are not of great smooth natural curvature. There are still minor bumps but i am pretty satisfied . I even continued and made bottom of stern - semieliptical with help of my bible- crothers book. So finally waterway and sheer aftwards are set - next time i will move to bow part and continue with keel. Most difficult work done, yay  still some bulkheads to be faired ..i took some pics to show the result of the lines i did my best to form and sand natural curvature of waterway both horizontal curvature and vertical  deck following pattern....no bending there. I cut it off basswood  and  sanded off. Cant speak how much i value baswood for structural building. I dont know of better wood for it.  Stiff yet Beautiful to cut sand and shape.its made of two planks glued up high together... I feel sorry for Rob he had to go thru this pain as well but looking to his outcome he dealt with it naturally and he has great eye for it for sure. Im still new to american clipper / my first/. Feel free to put any comment advice remark etc...thanks for looking. Vlad. Ps. At this point im slightly derailing from model shipways plan design as i wont install sheerline overstretching out hull , it will be  fair with hull - its only mark for me to lead planks atm . I plan to glue sheerline afterwards flmadeo f different wood anyway...

20210625_103859.jpg

20210625_103903.jpg

20210625_101228.jpg

20210625_122124.jpg

20210625_101826.jpg

20210625_103938(0).jpg

20210625_145334.jpg

20210625_131448.jpg

20210625_131508.jpg

20210625_123742.jpg

20210625_150430.jpg

20210625_120818.jpg

20210625_150451.jpg

20210625_125532.jpg

20210625_121259.jpg

20210625_103942.jpg

20210625_145014.jpg

20210625_111651.jpg

20210625_145020.jpg

20210625_111655.jpg

20210625_105452.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

On 6/25/2021 at 1:41 PM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Issues. Issues. 

Well,  im going to paint her. Definite. Finally moved somewhere. There was myriad of issues with bulkheads i would finally not recommend this unprofessional set of bulkheads  to  novice to deal with so much corrections. So many sanding to set waterway properly. Bumps ups and downs etc. Still  yet I  cant imagine shaping this beautiful vessel i without grand help of this  laser cut set. Anyway  lately i had bad day nothing went ok  but today i moved on  brilliantly. I dont have trained eye but i used help of photography as well. There is no point to continue if those most important design lines like waterway / as base for sheer are not of great smooth natural curvature. There are still minor bumps but i am pretty satisfied . I even continued and made bottom of stern - semieliptical with help of my bible- crothers book. So finally waterway and sheer aftwards are set - next time i will move to bow part and continue with keel. Most difficult work done, yay  still some bulkheads to be faired ..i took some pics to show the result of the lines i did my best to form and sand natural curvature of waterway both horizontal curvature and vertical  deck following pattern....no bending there. I cut it off basswood  and  sanded off. Cant speak how much i value baswood for structural building. I dont know of better wood for it.  Stiff yet Beautiful to cut sand and shape.its made of two planks glued up high together... I feel sorry for Rob he had to go thru this pain as well but looking to his outcome he dealt with it naturally and he has great eye for it for sure. Im still new to american clipper / my first/. Feel free to put any comment advice remark etc...thanks for looking. Vlad. Ps. At this point im slightly derailing from model shipways plan design as i wont install sheerline overstretching out hull , it will be  fair with hull - its only mark for me to lead planks atm . I plan to glue sheerline afterwards flmadeo f different wood anyway...

20210625_103859.jpg

20210625_103903.jpg

20210625_101228.jpg

20210625_122124.jpg

20210625_101826.jpg

20210625_103938(0).jpg

20210625_145334.jpg

20210625_131448.jpg

20210625_131508.jpg

20210625_123742.jpg

20210625_150430.jpg

20210625_120818.jpg

20210625_150451.jpg

20210625_125532.jpg

20210625_121259.jpg

20210625_103942.jpg

20210625_145014.jpg

20210625_111651.jpg

20210625_145020.jpg

20210625_111655.jpg

20210625_105452.jpg

It takes a lot of work to fare out the bulkheads doesn’t it?  I did the same thing as you, by adding and sanding.  But then I added lots of compound to the hull to smoothly correct it.   You’re doing a great job Vlad.   Keep it up.  

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Moving forward. 

Rabbet line carved, stem thinned and  Keel, shoe, stem and sternpost  assembled. 

20210701_094800.jpg

20210701_094839.jpg

20210701_094848.jpg

20210701_094857.jpg

Coming along nicely Vlad.  Looks like you are about ready to do some plankin........

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Vladimir, like Rob's 1:96th scale efforts your even larger 1:72nd scale  Glory project is progressing beautifully. I'm particularly taken with her lovely counter which now is much more reflective of the actual vessel herself. 

One item which I want to help you refine is the graceful lower curve of Glory's cutwater. Look carefully at the negative space of Glory herself where you overlayed the red lines. It's a continual graceful looping curve going all the way down just beyond her lower Bobstay mount on her prow. The reverse curve of the carved arch can be confusing, as it appears to interfere with that curve but it doesn't, that's an optical illusion. Focus on the edge, you'll see what I mean. Overall, you and Rob both have impressive projects in the works.

20210411_130959.png

20210701_190759.jpg

10 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, like Rob's 1:96th scale efforts your even larger 1:72nd scale  Glory project is progressing beautifully. I'm particularly taken with her lovely counter which now is much more reflective of the actual vessel herself. 

One item which I want to help you refine is the graceful lower curve of Glory's cutwater. Look carefully at the negative space of Glory herself where you overlayed the red lines. It's a continual graceful looping curve going all the way down just beyond her lower Bobstay mount on her prow. The reverse curve of the carved arch can be confusing, as it appears to interfere with that curve but it doesn't, that's an optical illusion. Focus on the edge, you'll see what I mean. Overall, you and Rob both have impressive projects in the works.

20210411_130959.png

20210701_190759.jpg

Thanks Rich for looking in and caring for this build. I exactly understand what you mean and jus worjing on it knighheads are slighly pushed backwards so curve is the same just little bit offset of main curve. Here is the preparatiin how i out took drawing to the wood... it not yet fastened should it be even more back what you think guys?  . I made it little longer so ut can be cut shorter a also sanded/modeled complete stern deb profile for planks as stern is delicate matter i wanted planks  to follow curves as much ad possible. 

20210701_121424.jpg

20210701_140824.jpg

20210701_203115.jpg

20210701_140854.jpg

20210701_123111.jpg

20210701_145451.jpg

20210701_123606.jpg

20210701_151558.jpg

20210701_123850.jpg

20210701_131202.jpg

20210701_203008.jpg

20210701_203058.jpg

Wonderful work Vlad.  You are paying great attention to the nightsheads and the sterns qualities.  Super.

We definitely approach construction differently.  You stick more with the traditional approach...where I slap it together.

It's easy to imagine a technique or a way you wish to go or do...but then again actually translating that into reality can be the biggest challenge. (Either one doesn't know what they are doing, or they lack the necessary disciplined skill).

I've made so many mistakes and made far too many assumptions already.  But I plug away, knowing that a glue or paint or even smoke and mirrors will cover up my many trespasses.

I look forward to your planking and am excited to see your technique

(A Special Note:).......I chose the smaller scale, because within it, I can hide(mistakes), but I can also disguise details...or even omit some, without their lack of presence ever being noticed.  Your extremely large Cutty, did not afford you the option of (Omitting) any details.  this is probably the greatest reason why I cower behind a smaller scale.  I can convince myself I'm doing a good job, while excusing of my sins. 

You're doing a great job.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Vlad,

You are doing a great job building a model of a handsome ship.

If I may, I would like to weigh in on the paint/ natural wood subject.  In my opinion different finishes look better on different types of models.  For example,  a clear wood finish definitely is a must for a 17th-18th Century Dockyard Model.  Likewise, Ed Tosti’s exposed framing with it’s natural wood finish produced striking results for his Young America model.

On the other hand, I believe that fully planked models of these large mid Nineteenth Century sailing vessels look much better painted.  The sailing ships built during the last 75 or so years of the age of sail were powerful vessels that made fast passages by their ability to carry sail in a blow.  An unpainted models these can look like toys instead of miniatures of powerful sailing vessels.

OK, enough of my opinion.  You’re the master shipwright here.  Enjoy what you are doing, and I’m sure that you will achieve stunning results.

Roger