Glenn,

I am going to experiment with using the Canon's ....

Like most things worth doing it takes a fair bit of effort to become competent, so you are doing the right thing in exploring the camera funtions and getting hands-on usage.  And there's lots of websites and YT posters and folks on here that help provide all the know how we'd ever need.

I'm far from competent but know enough to at least know when I'm getting a poor result 😉  And from that I learn.

When cameras were analogue the 'menu system' was pretty much common across all brands of camera makers ie once you learned what the the knobs and buttons did on one brand you could use another brand with minimal learning curve.

But now we have touch screens and software menus, sometime with useful functions hidden way down in a sub-menu....grrr, and that's all compounded in difficulty by each manufacturer using their own software menu systems....it's one of the tricks they use to lock you in to the brand.  From what I understand modern Canon cameras have the best interfaces, followed maybe by Nikon and with Sony at the bottom of the pile.  But all menus are learn'able ...it just takes time.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Nikon all the time all day every day 😁🧐😀😎😂🤣

There are as many opinions on which is best as there are camera owners, really at this point of the digital age there isn’t much difference between one or the other among the top 3: Nikon, Canon, and Sony (other than structure and layout of the menus).

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

22 hours ago, glennard2523 said:

I would welcome any tips from you or any other who tale great pictures such as

Kind of you to include me in this list Glenn, but as I said earlier in this topic I'm a real novice and the best tip I can give is to refer you to the advice I got from others on the forum, eg here. Having said that, you're definitely on the right lines with your new camera and lighting set-up. Digital makes it easy to try out different camera settings and lighting arrangements - I must have taken about 500 shots so far! Thanks again to Richard for the initial inspiration.

Have fun!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks @DelF

With the help already provided by Richard, Tim, Glenn (USA), James, etc. I have made some improvements, but there is still  much more I need to do, so more experimentation needed as I get to grips with it all.

Test Set Up No 1

1229489254_Setup.thumb.jpg.9bd4c95136e535d00c27eb49f16dc3ca.jpg

Some initial pictures

002.thumb.JPG.19c1dfbe5efa8ab2c9a1b537c80e6182.JPG

D.thumb.JPG.517ecc90fe271545dbb13a6f1baef223.JPG

R3.thumb.JPG.edf37ffb83bacd9dbf7bce278c60581b.JPG

Glenn (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent a bit of time trying to get use to using the new camera together with some photo editing software. There is so much to learn and I know I have only scratched the surface but I am amazed at what can be done. Many thanks to Tim and Glenn (USA) for their help.

This was a picture I took and is the standard jpg file direct from the camera

1741555592_001Before.thumb.JPG.5fa183a4b69a969af07f64ac8a7818a9.JPG

With this version of the same photo I have taken the raw file from the camera and applied a few effects. I have added a bit of everything that Adobe Lightroom can offer so I can could get an idea of what each control does. No doubt I have gone a tad overboard with the effects but nonetheless the results are, to a novice like me, staggering.

1981391232_002After.thumb.jpg.67d96bc94be427a55cbafc2228ec89ce.jpg

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)