Bismarck by ChrisLBren - FINISHED - Agora - 1/200 Scale

Greetings everyone !  My son just turned 8 and has an interest in model building - so we have decided to purchase this model in 12 installments.  As a kid I used to love getting packages in the mail - he's so fired up he already checked out books on battleships at his school library.  Time is flying by as he grows up - and dont want to miss out.  My Ancre builds can wait for now.  

The ship has interesting features - working lights, revovling turrets - over 4 feet long.  I will want to weather it a bit to take away from its toy like appearance - so will be looking for suggestions. 

Here's a link to the website.  We ordered the first shipment last night !  I hear great things about this company from some of the members on the forum - its a bit pricy at 129 per month - but totally worth it to teach my son scale modeling skills and have a good time while doing it,.  

https://www.agoramodels.com/us/bismarck/?wmc-currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2rMWHi28rMOlLQINzTNyomjJ7jFdkcC-2RnK9ZNSfDAKdW8YSTwlUxoCW3wQAvD_BwE

As soon as the first shipment arrives we will post photos.  

Looking forward to your build  - I remember being a keen  lad  getting my dad to help me build  my first model ships  - sometimes he got a bit to excited and  stuck into it  - especially with the bigger  builds.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks like a nice compromise between accuracy and fun, with all these revolving turrets and lights.

We will be following with a lot of interest. I am quite confident that this build will give your child the desire to build things with this hands, in the future.

Yves

Thanks guys - I think we will have fun.  I am sure the Trumpeter version is more accurate - but the electronic features sealed the deal for my son.  And its pre painted so no need to break out the airbrush.  Believe it or not - the first shipment may be arriving Friday.  I just ordered on Monday.  Talk about fast service !  Yves - what techniques did you use on your Uboat to weather it.  Im thinking just some oil washes to highlight the panel lines - nothing too much though.  

What a great project to involve your son!  My son is 11 and I’ve had some success building 1/72 ww2 aircraft with him which we hang on his ceiling.  His favourite part is painting and he likes to skip the detail (like the cockpit). It’s a battle between the PS5 and real world hobbies. We talked about doing the titanic 1/200 together but maybe a project like this would appeal because of the electronics and because of the packages coming which generates excitement. Thanks for sharing this idea.  Scott

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

4 hours ago, AllanDobson@Boeing said:

Hi, the Trumpeter 1/200 kit is made for RC. It has a one piece hull and a separate bow tip for placement of a bow thruster.

Thank you for  explaining that for us  - and a warm welcome.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Haliburton said:

What a great project to involve your son!  My son is 11 and I’ve had some success building 1/72 ww2 aircraft with him which we hang on his ceiling.  His favourite part is painting and he likes to skip the detail (like the cockpit). It’s a battle between the PS5 and real world hobbies. We talked about doing the titanic 1/200 together but maybe a project like this would appeal because of the electronics and because of the packages coming which generates excitement. Thanks for sharing this idea.  Scott

Sounds like a Great idea.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The first shipment arrived inside of 4 days - the packaging is impressive and the parts look great - as they should considering the price.  There's motors, wires, screws, plastic and metal components. I would have loved this as a kid - and loving it now as an adult !  There's a poster included and I downloaded the manual for the first stage - its 29 pages.  Also I paid a visit to my hobby store to pick up some sprue nippers, tweezers and glue - there's so many new things for the plastic model world - much more than when I was building these back in the 70s/80s.  Here's some photos.  

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Very nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 4 weeks later...

Update !  Unlike wood ship models - working with multi media is more like a jigsaw puzzle - very relaxing and easy.  Here's the results of the first three packs, forward deck, first of four Arado plans and the "Anton" turret.  I need to install the motor/electronics in the "Anton" forward gun turret next. 

Agora is terrific as far as customer service - if you damage or break a part they will send you a replacement ASAP.  The metal hull parts are terrific - she will be almost 4 feet long when completed.  

Bis Parts 1.jpg

Arado 1.jpg

Anton Turret.jpg

Awesome!

Just lurking in the shadows of MSW.... 🙂

Just a question, not too much "Sweat" but does the detail extend to Turret "Blast Bags" with the kit?

Railings/Ladders/Etc? (Interested but way out of my budget in New Zealand.)

(Got the Trumpeter 1/200 version and Amati 1/200, (Part works), not to mention 1/350 Tamiya....)

(I guess I'm a Bismarck Nut.... One day.... 🙂)

Following with interest. ..

I am sure your son will love the experience. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF00)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

52 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Just a question, not too much "Sweat" but does the detail extend to Turret "Blast Bags" with the kit?

Since the guns are moving up and down, I do not see how you could have blast bags... Unless, they are made of microscopic fabric and stitching.

Turm_A-mod.jpg.9c8df8a5ca033a45dcfe2e41cf3c2f88.jpg

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

• 2 weeks later...

This is a FUN build - here are the results of the first 8 installments. Each chapter is maybe 30 minutes a piece work time which works great for me and the family.   The turret works electronically, the bow is solid metal and very heavy and here are my tools (much different than a wooden ship build) - God Hands - they cut plastic parts perfectly off the sprue, tweezers, screwdrivers and CA.  I have 9-18 next - more electronics and a growing hull. Ill be back at my wooden ships later but for now a nice diversion - and have pretty much taken over for my son on this one for now.  Im teaching him model building on some Airfix 1/72 airplanes which are disposable.  

IMG_0683 (1).jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

6 hours ago, ChrisLBren said:

and have pretty much taken over for my son on this one for now

I think I have used that tactic a couple of times over the years as well.:D Get it in the door telling the wife that it was for the child and then send them into the other room to watch TV.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The fun continues !  Next stages are mostly concerned with gears and motors to work foremost turret - "Anton" and the anchors.  Shes going to be large and heavy.  A little bit bummed about some metal showing where the hull parts are screwed together - I could always use some weather powders or touch ups if needed.  

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

This will be one long beast - already 12 inches long at the first turret.  Next I need to wire the electonrics on the front turret.  I am not going to sweat the small paint chipping - no one will notice as she grows.  Notice I have to use a paint bottle to hold down the deck because of all of the motors mounted in the rear until I permantently install it.  

IMG_0692 (1).jpg

Almost fifty years ago, I built the Bismarck by Lindberg. It had "almost" 😉 the same features than the Agora model, but everything was mechanical and driven by rods and gears. It sailed rather well on calm waters and I later on equipped it with a small combined Kraft RC set, that gave me steering and FWD/Stop/REV positions. It was a lot of fun.

Yves

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 8:19 PM, ChrisLBren said:

LOL - at 130 per month for the next 10 months - I cant leave this build to chance until he earns the skills.  And Im having too much fun with it !!!!!!

Now come on! That was the intention all along, wasn't it?  Don't give us that virtuous nonsense about getting it for your son, we are all grown men (most of us) here and know all the excuses to garnish favour  with those whom must be obeyed :)

I've ordered mine a couple of weeks ago but still waiting for Mr DHL to come a knocking. I will be watching your progress. 

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

I confess - you're right - I wont let him touch it with a ten foot pole.  Im having too much fun.   i think pack 3 arrives any day.  Great tip to simulate portholes - use a black 2mm sharpie followed up with Mirco Crystal Clear - nice effect to simulate glass.  

On 5/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, ChrisLBren said:

I have read that some have used the tips of  surgical gloves for blast bags that are then weathered. I might make a test - again the fun of this project is the working electronics vs complete accuracy.  

World of Wayne has a video on how to make them

Current builds: Colonial Brig Perseverance,   Brigantine Matthew Turner,  Gorch Fock

4 minutes ago, ChrisLBren said:

I confess - you're right - I wont let him touch it with a ten foot pole.  Im having too much fun.   i think pack 3 arrives any day.  Great tip to simulate portholes - use a black 2mm sharpie followed up with Mirco Crystal Clear - nice effect to simulate glass.  

So there are two youtube channels doing the Agora Bismarck build:

John Builds Iconic Military Models

&

World of Wayne  Wayne has two Bismarck builds on the go, the Agora one and the earlier Hachette model and for all intents and purposes, are virtually the same.