Bismarck by ChrisLBren - FINISHED - Agora - 1/200 Scale

Greetings !  Pack 4 of the Bismarck is completed.  I have huge admiration for plastic modelers who use photo etch - which is a fiddly pain.  Here are some updated photos - 1/3rd of the ship is complete - and a lot more challenging than I thought. It is fun using different techniques - and the wiring and motors are cool.

After this one will return to the world of wooden ships - probably finishing the Wappen Von Hamburg and then my retirement project - either Le Gros Ventre in 1/36 (the keel parts are already completed) or La Renommee in 1/36 (plans are enlarged and ready to go)

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

On 5/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, ChrisLBren said:

Update !  Unlike wood ship models - working with multi media is more like a jigsaw puzzle - very relaxing and easy.  Here's the results of the first three packs, forward deck, first of four Arado plans and the "Anton" turret.  I need to install the motor/electronics in the "Anton" forward gun turret next. 

Agora is terrific as far as customer service - if you damage or break a part they will send you a replacement ASAP.  The metal hull parts are terrific - she will be almost 4 feet long when completed.  

Bis Parts 1.jpg

Arado 1.jpg

Anton Turret.jpg

I gather you are not going totally realistic by omitting certain decals?

K. Arnold noobie with a LOT to learn

AL "Scottish Maid" renamed "Lady Gina"complete

AL "Virginia"  renamed "Gina Marie"complete

Al Virginia (second build) complete

Corel "Scotland" in progress
OcCre "Corsair" in progress

2 hours ago, ChrisLBren said:

Yes no swastika decals on this one.  

I think, though not sure, it is a law that they can't be on it.  Although I don't know of if it is a German, European, or American law.

I know that the symbol was perverted, but for historical accuracy? 

K. Arnold noobie with a LOT to learn

AL "Scottish Maid" renamed "Lady Gina"complete

AL "Virginia"  renamed "Gina Marie"complete

Al Virginia (second build) complete

Corel "Scotland" in progress
OcCre "Corsair" in progress

• 4 weeks later...

And the monster grows.... and looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, ChrisLBren said:

Pack 5 is completed out of 12 - this model at this stage has more wires than our Christmas Tree.  I should be testing many of the functions in the next Pack.  Forward superstructure complete - second turret "Bruno" added.IMG_0858.thumb.jpg.604576bead7c8eea592c7dfe6fad5b10.jpg

Hi Chris,

Wondering how your going with your Bismarck build?

There are three currently underway, (Four with your example.), that I know about on this site.

Would be interested to see your progress at some stage.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Nice!!

Lots of Servos there....

I guess you have been testing things as you progress, i.e. your Anchor Windlass's.)

Question for you, are your Decks wooden, printed or otherwise?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks HOF - the deck is plastic.  The design nature of this kit makes it necessary as you can see all of the wiring, motors and servos involved you need to screw in to the bottom of the deck.

I have seen some terrific examples of this model weathered - which I may or may not do - I dont have much experience with this technique

https://community.agoramodels.com/topic/340-bismarck-photos/page/2/#comments

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chap,

Coming along nicely!!

(Have you been testing your "Electrics?" 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 4:33 PM, Just an modeller said:

Bought my 11 year old son the trumpeter bismarck 1/200 with alot of detail packs 

This was his first model too! 

And my lord he was good 

I didn't do anything to help him 

Lol

Hope that your son could build some stuff maybe simple stuff on it 

Keep us posted 

20220326_162024.jpg

20220325_135649.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Just wondering how you are getting on with your Bismarck.... 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 5/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, Just an modeller said:

20220326_162024.jpg

20220325_135649.jpg

On 5/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, Just an modeller said:

20220326_162024.jpg

20220325_135649.jpg

hello i saw how no one replied to your son wonderful work how did he do it?

i would be getting glue marks all the time! at that age 

you should give that gentlemen a nice reward 

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Bismarck is completed.  All of the electronics work (turrets rotate, elevate, and make firing noise), as well as props, lights and anchors.  My kids think its the greatest ship ever - so its going in their room !  

It was a fun build but a bit dissapointing considering its price - as you can see - massive fail plastic fail on the main mast while rigging.  I used EZ line - not much tension and it buckled.  This part should have been made out of metal vs plastic that bends.  

I am anxious to get back to working with wood on an Ancre build after this year long project.  The best thing about this one is it got me out of the modeling doldrums - I am now carving out 2 hours a day early morning in the shop before I start my work day.

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Hi Chris,

Very nice indeed!!

As Grant said, your children will appreciate this for many years.... 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. 

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Great build and the idea of things moving remotely is amazing.   I agree that it's something they will treasure.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)