Vasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Sergal - scale 1:60

Well,as usual I made a couple of errors on the rigging already.I had the mizzen topmast stay all wrong & re-did it. Also forgot to add the bowsprit mast stay. The crowfeet rigging is a real pain but I got it done - more to do later on the running rigging.I had some nice rigging hooks left over from another build so I used them on the mast tackles (the ropes & pulleys between the lower deadeyes).

post-4600-0-59769300-1404415573_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-78873900-1404415590_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-84312700-1404415609_thumb.jpg

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Excellent work. Your rigging is looking great. Your chain plate lines are perfect. Very very nice.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael. I have been going back & forth between the Corel rigging plans & pictures of Clayton`s model to try & find the differences.The Corel plans seem fairly close but there are some differences. The fore topmast stay is fastened to the bowsprit with a simple block & pulley instead of crowsfeet for one.I also found that there were no pinrails on the inner bulwarks - the belaying pins go right in the caprails so I tore off all my pinrails that were on the inner bulwarks & put the belaying pins right in the caprails. I actually managed to not damage anything while removing them.There are just a few small holes where they were pinned to the bulwarks but they are not noticeable.

/Mark

Mark,

Yes the rigging does have some mysteries. As Matti was saying the rigging did not survive so some of the details would be guess work. At the end of the day, I would not stress too much on some of your conundrums. There is no empirical example for the Vasa rigging. Though Clayton's should be as perfect as it gets. 

----------------

You are way ahead of me so this head-ache is not yet mine. I am falling into an abyss with constant  doses of procrastination. In any case I will follow your lead, your rigging looks so excellent. I also believe, in my case, that the Vasa II book will be in paper-back by the time that I'm ready to attach the first line (:-) I am also patiently waiting for the book.

Did you visit the Vasa specific site? Fred Hocker describes the contents of the book chapter by chapter. It will be a Vasa rigging bible. I also understand that there will be sheet plans for adding sails. Though from your research it is nice to know that you think that Corel more-or-less got That part right. Again, your build is so beautiful.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks again Michael. I am currently trying to decide whether to forge ahead with the rigging or set this ship aside & wait for the book.I`m thinking it may be close to Christmas before the book is out. Like I said before there are so many little errors in the build that a line or two out of place won`t make much difference ;) . I do have the Corel version I could work on although the thought of building two Vasa`s in a row may make me crazy :huh: .I have been to the Vasa sight & Clayton`s site numerous times & think I have most of the rigging figured out.Clayton used the most recent info of the rigging from Fred at the museum so it should be fairly accurate.

/Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work, Mark!!! Will keep an eye on your progress.

Cheers!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Oh, I'm so happy!!! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Mark,

Very nice and cleanly detailed work. 

I have been downloading some of your pics as a reference when I get there. I hope that you don't mind.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the nice comments & likes.I don`t know if the rigging is 100% correct but it is the best I can make out after looking at all the photos I could find - mostly Clayton`s. Lin Feng - I believe I lost a bunch of pictures due to a glitch in the MSW system & can`t re-load them since I didn`t save them. I actually bought new chainplates made by Amati from Ages of Sail & slightly modified them. If you are interested the Amati part numbers are 4092/07 & 4092/05.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Hello all. another little update - fore & main yards mounted & rigged except for the braces - they will be last. Tried to get pictures with a dark background so the light rigging shows up better.The running rigging is a little too light colored but I am not going to re-do it.

post-4600-0-07391000-1406596690_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-41395800-1406596712_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-06199800-1406596735_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-31179100-1406596756_thumb.jpg

/Mark

A little more progress - all yards mounted. just a few more lines left like braces,anchors,flags,& a few misc.items.note the hooks & rings on the lower end of the mizzen lateen yard - I think this is correct.That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter...........

post-4600-0-86979700-1406996887_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-66908900-1406996907_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-75819400-1406996932_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-81586600-1406996957_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Hola Mark,

its getting very nice. :cheers:  Only one question, will you include sails?

Saludos, Karl

FINISHED! I decided to add a stern lantern to finish it off. There are still a number of errors but I am fairly satisfied how it came out. I want to thank everyone for all the loos & likes during the build.The problem now is where to put it - it`s almost 4 ft long. An even bigger problem is deciding what to build next :cheers: I will try to put a few more pics in the gallery.

post-4600-0-33310300-1407425734_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-85133400-1407425765_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-19072700-1407425788_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-63909900-1407425812_thumb.jpg

/Mark

congratulations with this result

once more I see now the differences between the various kits.

I can imagine your problem were to place your perfect Vasa. I can suggest to move to another house with a spare room for all your models :)

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Really gorgeous work Mark.  I was just going through your galleries - you are very skilled, thank you for sharing!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I am speechless. This is truly a masterpiece. Hats off to you. You indeed built something to really be prod of.

My sincere congratulations!!!

Ulises