Vasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Sergal - scale 1:60

• 2 weeks later...

A little update - Been working on the gunport lids.Starboard side upper row done.Work on the ship has slowed considerably - blew out something in my shoulder that will require surgery after the first of the year.Can still do some of the small things but not much else. :( Happy Holidays to everyone at MSW & thanks for looking in.

post-4600-0-08418800-1387824134_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-18165900-1387824204_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-83782300-1387824337_thumb.jpg

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

OUCH..sorry to hear that. Get better soon. 

Looks awesome. Nice work on the cannon lids.

PS: regarding tools in general, check out Alexandru's last two pages using the entry level Proxxon DB-250 lathe (if you have not already visited). Genious work /Scratch built section HMS Victory. He is Yoda times 1000.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Another small update.Got the rest of the gunport lids installed.Darkened the shiny brass cannons with a thinned black wash - didn`t want to blacken them as I`m pretty sure they were made of bronze.The wash seems to have given them a somewhat rustic look.

post-4600-0-03103000-1388544646_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-12182100-1388544691_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-35652600-1388544788_thumb.jpg

Mark

Mark,

Super impressive update. You are right your cannon wash looks perfect. You painting details on the figures are also very beautiful. You are very nicely capturing the look of the Vasa. Are those the cannons that Sergal includes in the kit? They look so much better than those Corel's "parts bin" issues.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks Michael.The cannons are the ones that came in the kit  - one of the better parts of the kit.They are cast brass or bronze,not turned.The hull is pretty much done so I`m not sure what I will move on to next - maybe the masts.need to look around & see how close to correct my plans are.I`m pretty sure the rigging is way off so I am planning to use Corel`s rigging plans which seem much better.Any one know what kind of stern lantern this ship may have had?I assume it did have a stern lantern - I haven`t seen a ship of this era yet that didn`t have one.The one in the kit seems a bit out of scale.Also does anyone know if it had a rudder chain or rope?

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Great work Mark.I love the cannons.You get a very similar look blackening them and then brushing with a brass brush,however your way is less work.Every kit seems to depict the lantern as a big 'glitterball' but I am sure the original would have been a little more conservative.I am sure those in the 'know' will be able to shed some light(no pun intended) on the matter.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Vasa indeed had a lantern, but it hasn't been found, or has been found and not reassembled (http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SwedishWarshipWasa/conversations/topics/1449) - one personal guess is that the lantern would be one of the simpler things to salvage even back in the 1600's, if it was still attached as the ship hit the bottom. 

As for the shape, good question. There's a mention of some typical Dutch designs from the era in Old ship figure-heads and sterns - see http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Figure-Heads-Sterns-Dover-Maritime/dp/0486415333 (Click Look Inside, search for Zeelandia. Pages 158 and 159 are your paydirt). They're all simpler than the glitterball. Good book in general, by the looks of it. Nice illustrations of a lot of various bits and bobs. Haven't had time to read through my paper copy yet. 

There's also a lantern depicted in the Vasa documentary, see http://www.dn.se/Images/2011/12/27/TV-vasa1-430.jpg for a still. Not sure how well researched this is, but it seems pretty typical for the period and the dutch, judging by the above book. 

Thanks Michael.The cannons are the ones that came in the kit  - one of the better parts of the kit.They are cast brass or bronze,not turned.The hull is pretty much done so I`m not sure what I will move on to next - maybe the masts.need to look around & see how close to correct my plans are.I`m pretty sure the rigging is way off so I am planning to use Corel`s rigging plans which seem much better.Any one know what kind of stern lantern this ship may have had?I assume it did have a stern lantern - I haven`t seen a ship of this era yet that didn`t have one.The one in the kit seems a bit out of scale.Also does anyone know if it had a rudder chain or rope?

Mark

Mark,

I have some good drawings of how the main mast looked assembled (the Landström book). If you need any pics. I'll be happy to post them.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks for the responses guys.I did find a couple of good photos & 1 drawing on the Wasa Dream website which shows how the upper mast sections were attached.It looks as though they are fastened with metal straps rather than going through holes in the mast caps.Looks like I will have to modify the kit parts again!I do have an idea for a lantern - need to think about it for awhile. B) Michael - if you would like to post a couple of pics that would be great.

regards,Mark

Great looking, and very artistic work. 

- Bug

Some pics of the main mast. 

The "Dream Vasa" site prob. has a more accurate looking main mast. Clayton's Vasa seems to have used that look as well and not Landström's The Royal Warship VASA for the main mast assembly.

Though I asked Clayton how he put it together and he said that he "scored" the mast to make it look as though it was assembled from several pieces. 

Michael

post-735-0-78770300-1388685534_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70127600-1388685544_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-43859700-1388685551_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Started work on the masts - been asssembling the tops.All the parts are laser cut & fit nicely although they are quite fragile until assembled.Didn`t try to file or alter them as I was afraid they would fall apart in my hands.

post-4600-0-39458600-1389030240_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-46370100-1389030400_thumb.jpg

Pictures are extremely slow loading - hope they came through ok.

Mark

Pictures came through fine. Nice patient work, looks great.

- Bug

Started work on the masts - been asssembling the tops.All the parts are laser cut & fit nicely although they are quite fragile until assembled.Didn`t try to file or alter them as I was afraid they would fall apart in my hands.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

Pictures are extremely slow loading - hope they came through ok.

Mark

Mark,

Looking so excellent.

This is a good opportunity to compare kits. Your Sergal mast tops are so easy to work with. The enclosed pic is how Corel approached this part of the kit. As you can see there are several solid pieces of rounded wood, along with all needed "rings" For this Corel includes cast metal rings with small stubs. The wood cross members need to be all individually cut from stock. So needless to say, when I get there I will have to scratch build five of these platforms piece by piece. Grrrr (:-)

Michael

post-735-0-49020900-1389123878_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -