Vasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Sergal - scale 1:60

I feel for you - seems as though it would not have been that hard for Corel to design them a little better.I will watch to see what approach you take to make them better as I also have the Corel kit also.Maybe you can come up with some kind of jig to make new brackets with your new milling machine. ;)

regards,Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I feel for you - seems as though it would not have been that hard for Corel to design them a little better.I will watch to see what approach you take to make them better as I also have the Corel kit also.Maybe you can come up with some kind of jig to make new brackets with your new milling machine. ;)

regards,Mark

Mark,

It will be a while. I have been in contact with Fred Hocker, and he will be sending me jpg's of the Vasa main mast. He said that it has eleven separate parts. So after I finish that, I will start on the main mast lower top. At that time the milling machine should get a workout. But first I will also need to buy an other attachment for it. After seeing Alexandru using this on his build log, I can see where it will a very useful as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-24264-Dividing-Attachment-MF/dp/B0016KFVVG/ref=pd_sim_hi_4

PS: Buying through Proxxon directly is cheaper and no CA sales tax (but yes shipping $)

I did not remember that you also had the Corel version, do you plan on also building that one next?

Michael

I looked at your tops again, they look SO excellent right out of the box !! Good nice to see that,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I actually started both kits at the same time.I was going to build them side by side but once I got really going on the Sergal kit the other one got put on the back burner.I got as far as the first planking done but seeing all the problems I just set it aside for later.I don`t know if I will continue with it after my current build is done or start something else & come back to it later.

Mark

Mark,

So your first conundrum of 2014?.

After your excellent Sergal project you may not want to again revisit the Corel Wasa. What's the old saying, sort of "too many ships not enough time"?

Michael D

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael - you read my mind,Way too many ships waiting - 9 to be exact  :o.It would be great if you could share the mast pdf.Thanks ahead of time.

Mark

My pleasure, after I receive it I will post it on my build log.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

A small update - have been working on the masts.I tapered them on my lathe & assembled the trees.Built the small pulleys under the trees by chucking a dowel in the lathe & using a very small round needle file formed the groove in the pulleys.Then cut them of & filed a little.Not perfect but I think they look ok.Will be hard to see anyway after the rigging is on.All the parts are in walnut so they are a little darker then I would have preferred.No finish has been applied yet.May not be posting many updates for awhile as I am scheduled to get my ailing shoulder fixed in about a week.

post-4600-0-18859600-1390072486_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-24671200-1390072607_thumb.jpg

/Mark

A small update - have been working on the masts.I tapered them on my lathe & assembled the trees.Built the small pulleys under the trees by chucking a dowel in the lathe & using a very small round needle file formed the groove in the pulleys.Then cut them of & filed a little.Not perfect but I think they look ok.Will be hard to see anyway after the rigging is on.All the parts are in walnut so they are a little darker then I would have preferred.No finish has been applied yet.May not be posting many updates for awhile as I am scheduled to get my ailing shoulder fixed in about a week.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

/Mark

Mark,

Nice work. Your masts look very good. Good luck with your shoulder repair. I know the feeling, I had surgery on mine a year ago. two weeks after the surgery I was able to raise a single malt glass to my lips and I thought I must be healed ....NOT (:-)

Michael D

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks everyone for your generous comments - much appreciated.Still trying to find some good info as to how the top masts are laid out.Looks like I will have plenty of time to do some research.

Michael - looking forward to the shoulder work as I can barely lift a glass as it is now. :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Hola Mark, hoping you get well very soon.

You are doing a nice work with this Sergal Vasa.  It is interesting to see the how the different versions of the same ship deals with some issues: figures, materials, designs and so on.

Saludos, Karl

• 4 weeks later...

Finally able to do some light work on my ship. :) Slowly working on the masts - foremast finished.Not perfect but neither is the rest of the build.Had to make new mast caps as the kit ones were ugly plywood & didn`t show the metal bands holding the upper sections to the caps.The dowels for the masts are walnut so they are probably a little darker than they should be.Got some of Chuck`s blocks - super nice.

post-4600-0-34656100-1396223830_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-28081500-1396223851_thumb.jpg

Mark

Mark,

Welcome back, your masts are looking very good. Nice work

MIchsel

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks everyone - doing much better now.You may have noticed that I built the mast with the topgallant section as on the 1:10 museum model.I see that some people omit this.I don`t know which is correct so I went ahead & added it.

/Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to add a stern lantern since I have never seen a ship of this era without one.I robbed a lantern from an old model of a dutch ship & modified it slightly.It had some red plastic inserts to represent glass so I removed them & made new inserts out of some clear acetate I had left over from my CC Victory.The separate panes were simulated with some fiberglass screen repair material.

post-4600-0-12162400-1397311641_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Hello everyone.Sorry about starting this log in the middle of the build but I was to this point when I joined MSW.The build has gone relatively well to this point.All the laser cut parts fit together with very little adjustments.First & second planking went well - decided not to treenail the hull.I am attempting to paint the ship similar to the model at the Vasa museum.I say similar because many of the castings are not correct - probably due to the kit being designed before all the decorations were known.Please let me know how the pictures come through since I do not have any edit or reply option buttons on this page.

starboard view

attachicon.gif003.JPG

stern view

attachicon.gifVasa (3).JPG

starborad bow

[attachment=72699:Vasa 003.JPG

All of your pictures are not there anymore.

Vince P.