marktiedens

Vasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Sergal - scale 1:60

Mark,

Very nice and cleanly detailed work. 

I have been downloading some of your pics as a reference when I get there. I hope that you don't mind.

Regards,

Michael

Looks very nice.

Maybe I missed something from your build log, how did you manage the problem with the chain plates? because in my Sergal-kit they are too short.

Best regards

Lin Feng

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the nice comments & likes.I don`t know if the rigging is 100% correct but it is the best I can make out after looking at all the photos I could find - mostly Clayton`s. Lin Feng - I believe I lost a bunch of pictures due to a glitch in the MSW system & can`t re-load them since I didn`t save them. I actually bought new chainplates made by Amati from Ages of Sail & slightly modified them. If you are interested the Amati part numbers are 4092/07 & 4092/05.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Hello all. another little update - fore & main yards mounted & rigged except for the braces - they will be last. Tried to get pictures with a dark background so the light rigging shows up better.The running rigging is a little too light colored but I am not going to re-do it.

post-4600-0-07391000-1406596690_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-41395800-1406596712_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-06199800-1406596735_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-31179100-1406596756_thumb.jpg

/Mark

A little more progress - all yards mounted. just a few more lines left like braces,anchors,flags,& a few misc.items.note the hooks & rings on the lower end of the mizzen lateen yard - I think this is correct.That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter...........

post-4600-0-86979700-1406996887_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-66908900-1406996907_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-75819400-1406996932_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-81586600-1406996957_thumb.jpg

/Mark

Karl - no sails. I find it very difficult to get them to look right.I might attempt some furled sails on my next build. Thanks also to you & Janos for your nice comments. :)

FINISHED! I decided to add a stern lantern to finish it off. There are still a number of errors but I am fairly satisfied how it came out. I want to thank everyone for all the loos & likes during the build.The problem now is where to put it - it`s almost 4 ft long. An even bigger problem is deciding what to build next :cheers: I will try to put a few more pics in the gallery.

post-4600-0-33310300-1407425734_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-85133400-1407425765_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-19072700-1407425788_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-63909900-1407425812_thumb.jpg

/Mark

congratulations with this result

once more I see now the differences between the various kits.

I can imagine your problem were to place your perfect Vasa. I can suggest to move to another house with a spare room for all your models :)

Thanks Jan V.,Mike,& Ulises :D .I also have the Corel kit & hope to do a better job on it as more info on the structure & rigging comes available.

Thanks Frank,Vince,& Nigel. Well let`s see  - maybe the Nuestra Senora or Royal William  or the MS version of Vanguard  or Constructo Prince or............................

/Mark

Really a very very nice job, congratulations!!  :dancetl6:

And your comment about  where to put your finished model appears to be a common one, my wife ask me the same question every time: I have ships in living room, dinning room, TV room and now I must to find another one: the bathroom?? jajaja

Saludos, Karl

Mark,

Such a beautifully finished masterpiece. A treat for the eyes, but then ALL of your builds are masterpieces. With the Vasa you also captured all the very difficult and complex details. Especially, and including the almost impossible white scalloping details of the stern galleries. Big congrats to you ...just lovely.....

PS: It would be fun to see what you could do with Corel's Vasa..hmmmmm (:-)

PS2 Your SOS is The one that I aspire to, but not "quite there yet".

Michael

Thank you very much Michael. I must say much of the work you have done on yours inspired me numerous times to change & fix things on mine.Keep up the good work! By the way the first planking on my Corel kit is already done - just trying to decide whether to continue on with it or start something else.It might be easier to continue on with it while details & fixes are still fresh in my mind.My main concern is the castings - they are awful compared to Sergal`s - which themselves are not great.Ideally I would like to find the figures from the Billings kit without having to buy the whole kit.From what I have seem on Matti`s model they are pretty good even though they are plastic. I would not even dream of trying to carve them.Oh and I am trying to come up with a better way to do the scalloping on the galleries - they look ok from a distance but I`m not that happy with them.For one thing I found out they should be light yellow - not white.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Mark,

Glad that some of my themes were useful for your build. Our hobby is very symbiotic. You might call these folks.

https://www.billingboatsusa.com/search?orderby=position&controller=search&orderway=desc&search_query=wasa

(Hmmm their Vasa is sure cheap) I had the same idea as you, and I did find a company that sold the plastic bits separately within their plastic frames as single sets. I decided against it and removed the link from my "favs. Nor do I remember the retailer's name.

It could be that Billings sells those, see link. A call might be the answer. You can identify the needed sets by downloading a pdf of the instructions from here. There are two parts located at the first and last row. The plastic bits are noted and numbered easy to see what you may want.

http://www.billingboats.com/download.html

Cheers,

Michael