Vasa by marktiedens - FINISHED - Sergal - scale 1:60

Really a very very nice job, congratulations!!  :dancetl6:

And your comment about  where to put your finished model appears to be a common one, my wife ask me the same question every time: I have ships in living room, dinning room, TV room and now I must to find another one: the bathroom?? jajaja

Saludos, Karl

Mark,

Such a beautifully finished masterpiece. A treat for the eyes, but then ALL of your builds are masterpieces. With the Vasa you also captured all the very difficult and complex details. Especially, and including the almost impossible white scalloping details of the stern galleries. Big congrats to you ...just lovely.....

PS: It would be fun to see what you could do with Corel's Vasa..hmmmmm (:-)

PS2 Your SOS is The one that I aspire to, but not "quite there yet".

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much Michael. I must say much of the work you have done on yours inspired me numerous times to change & fix things on mine.Keep up the good work! By the way the first planking on my Corel kit is already done - just trying to decide whether to continue on with it or start something else.It might be easier to continue on with it while details & fixes are still fresh in my mind.My main concern is the castings - they are awful compared to Sergal`s - which themselves are not great.Ideally I would like to find the figures from the Billings kit without having to buy the whole kit.From what I have seem on Matti`s model they are pretty good even though they are plastic. I would not even dream of trying to carve them.Oh and I am trying to come up with a better way to do the scalloping on the galleries - they look ok from a distance but I`m not that happy with them.For one thing I found out they should be light yellow - not white.

/Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Glad that some of my themes were useful for your build. Our hobby is very symbiotic. You might call these folks.

https://www.billingboatsusa.com/search?orderby=position&controller=search&orderway=desc&search_query=wasa

(Hmmm their Vasa is sure cheap) I had the same idea as you, and I did find a company that sold the plastic bits separately within their plastic frames as single sets. I decided against it and removed the link from my "favs. Nor do I remember the retailer's name.

It could be that Billings sells those, see link. A call might be the answer. You can identify the needed sets by downloading a pdf of the instructions from here. There are two parts located at the first and last row. The plastic bits are noted and numbered easy to see what you may want.

http://www.billingboats.com/download.html

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mark,

Your #213 photo of the shroud seizing three rows are so perfect. As you know this is where I am right now. BUT how did you make your loops SO perfect.

I remember those details. Help (;-( Mine are so weak -so far)

Michael 

post-735-0-52637900-1459636171_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

First let me say your seizings look pretty good to me. It is a bit difficult to explain exactly how I did mine ,but I will try. First i simply held the deadeye at the right distance from the lower one & wrapped the shroud around it,having both sides of the shroud held tightly around the deadeye with two fingers of one hand - in my case my left hand since I am right-handed. The trick I use to keep the shroud in place around the deadeye is a couple of drops of CA. I know it is nasty stuff but it really holds so I can continue to work without waiting an hour or two. With the shroud stuck to the deadeye I can them use both hands to install the seizings. I start with a simple overhand knot as close to the deadeye as I can get,then just wrap the line around any number of turns as I want to & apply a drop of glue to hold it. Same thing for the rest of the seizings. I almost forgot to mention at the beginning is when I am holding the shroud around the deadeye I keep some downward pressure on the deadeye so that when I tension the lanyards the distance between the deadeyes will not change. I hope you can understand my explanation. I will say it would be a lot easier if I had three hands! Also I should mention that each shroud pair should be looped around the mast & tied together before starting so you can put the downward pressure on the shroud without it slipping.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Thanks! I've copied and pasted your technique. I will read it carefully in the a.m. The Admiral tells me that it is time for TV (:-)

PS: Thanks I appreciate your thoughts regarding my same work.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 3 years later...