Justifying the purchase of a mill

Bob

It's not done yet,  still have to make the stops on the quill and the lock on the other side.  If it goes into production it's going to be expensive.  The bearings and the ER-16 collet chuck are over 200 bucks.  About 300 bucks just for the store bought stuff + material and time

Jim

Gaetan

Over here in Germany the public electricity network is terminated 3ph 400V, L1 L2 L3 N PE.

I think that it`s the same in the Netherlands, Belgium and France. It just isn`t availiable in all rooms of the buildings.

The outlet for electric stoves is always 3phase.

If I had acces to a 1ph outlet, only, then I`d use a proper VDF. It generates 3 phase output at variable frequency  usually between 0 and 400 Hz.

Some 20 years ago our rotary phase converter died. It had driven an internal vibrator for compacting concrete. I`m grateful for it`s dead.

It`s successor with build-in VDF is lightweight and makes less niose.

There`s just one disadvantage of VDF`s. They emit electric noise. Kind of high frequency square waves. So proper filtering and shielding is required.

Michael

Edited by bricklayer
added missing "q"

As for a mill being used as a drill press, the LittleMachineShop has some mills already set up for this.   I have the Model 4660 and it has that capability.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, jimbyr said:

Bob

It's not done yet,  still have to make the stops on the quill and the lock on the other side.  If it goes into production it's going to be expensive.  The bearings and the ER-16 collet chuck are over 200 bucks.  About 300 bucks just for the store bought stuff + material and time

Jim

Given the high quality of your other machines, I'd bet that a Byrnes mill would be popular with modelers.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild