How R You from Boston

Discovered this forum just recently.  I've been modeling for most of my life.  Started with plastic kits in grade school  then moved on to solid hull kits.  

My first plank on frame was HMS Bounty some 40 years ago during my last year in Med School.  My next project was HMS Victory which I kit bashed using The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships by Longridge.  This took me 5 years during my surgical residency. Went on to Old Iron Sides by Mamoli,  Life and kids go in the way so I stopped building for a while.  Finished Cutty Sark during the pandemic.  Just got started on Bluenose by model shipways.  I've collected a rather large number of kits over the years both ships and cars .  Many more than I can complete in a lifetime!  Planning the next project is part of the hobby right?

I'll be leaving my surgical practice soon and hope to spend several hours a day improving my skills  Looking over some of the build logs have been an inspiration

TrippleV,

Those models look fabulous. What a treat to be able to devote some of your well-deserved new free time to this engaging hobby. I live just north of Boston and hope to be able to do the same sometime in the next number of years.

Michael

Edited by Michael_A
clarity

:sign:

Nice models 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, TrippleV said:

My next project was HMS Victory which I kit bashed using The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships by Longridge.  This took me 5 years during my surgical residency.

You built HMS VICTORY during surgical residency?  Wow!  I'm impressed.  :imNotWorthy:  What can you do when you are NOT overstressed and actually have free time on your hands.  Welcome aboard.  :piratebo5:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Doctor,

You've started much the same way that I did, by bashing a kit. The next step is to build your own POB hull; and then you're free to be able to model any ship you want, big or small. Furthermore, your being in the medical profession allows you direct access to many tools ship modelers also use. You're a

natural!

Tom

1 hour ago, TrippleV said:

The Victory build is what kept me sane!!  It was that or alcohol

Good choice on the model I think and beautiful work on all of them.   Welcome to MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Doctor,

You've started much the same way that I did, by bashing a kit. The next step is to build your own POB hull; and then you're free to be able to model any ship you want, big or small. Furthermore, your being in the medical profession allows you direct access to many tools ship modelers also use. You're a

natural!

Tom

Its Victor 

Over the years I've collected a two or three kits.  My plan is to eventually do a fully framed model

5 hours ago, TrippleV said:

Planning the next project is part of the hobby right?

Quite right. Victor, you will fit right in here at MSW.

A warm welcome from the UK.

The models look great, can we look forward to seeing a build log?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Victor, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing a build log with your name on it. For you, rigging should come pretty easy with your knot tying abilities. 

Right now I'm working in my basement so a bit cramped.  I will be moving to a new house in 2022 and will have a dedicated shop about 14x14.  I have a small band saw, praxxon table saw and chop saw, a small belt/disc sander.  I also have a unimat lathe/mill but its a bit small.  Amazing what you collect in 40 years of modeling.  I'm likely getting a small scroll saw and thinking about a bit larger lathe and milling machine of some sort.  My plan is to have the various tools mounted on bases and stored on shelves then mounting what I'm using on a bench.  I'm blessed with a wife that understands my hobbies.  More likely it  gets me out from underfoot!

Edited by TrippleV
correction

Victor, Welcome to this motley crew of ours!!!

Your wife is also a lucky one in that you have a good hobby to keep you out of her space with retirement coming to you.   This is an issue with retirement for some folks I know.   If I am in the house too long, I'll hear a comment from the admiral about maybe needing to glue a piece of wood in the shop or some such and assuring me that there is no need to rush back into the house.   

You now have thousands of new friends that will help you on your journey, especially if it is to the dark side, (a fully framed scratch build) 

Your previous work is wonderful.    Hope you kept a few scalpel handles and blades, suture scissors, hemostats and the like.  They all will be handy.   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, allanyed said:

If I am in the house too long, I'll hear a comment from the admiral about maybe needing to glue a piece of wood in the shop or some such and assuring me that there is no need to rush back into the house.

Allan, when I retired my wife said it was "too much man and not enough money". :huh:

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Allan, when I retired my wife said it was "too much man and not enough money". :huh:

Wives are like that.  They're used to the whole house being "their space" and you're just the guy who hangs out evenings and weekends and does the yard work, repairs.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those are some pretty nice models Victor. I also am impressed that you were able to build even one while doing your residency. My oldest son didn't even seem to have to say hello to his wife during his Radiology residency and I think the only thing he had to show for it afterward were some of his first gray hairs.

My wife just reminded me when I retired and started staying at home much more that if I became too irritating that everything she had is hers and everything I had was hers!:blink::stunned::huh::unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Dear TrippleV... Greetings from Cape Cod ! similar to your situation, I have enjoyed modeling over the years. It took me 50 yrs to complete my model of the “Flying Cloud” from scratch using plans and any wood I could find. 3 Kids and 48 yrs of practicing dentistry “delayed “ my completion but when I turned 70 yrs old I decided that I had to complete the rigging etc..which I did. I had a case made by Bluejacket and now have it on display. Following my retirement last year I decided to build the Constitution. I am 6 months into the build and have enclosed a picture of it. I am indebted to KurtH on this site for his wonderful blog on his museum quality build of the Connie. Enjoy your hobby! 

55E37FE5-D704-48D6-B2CD-76F7413FE72D.jpeg

1BDF235F-6F2B-418A-BBF5-4D78D437DC41.jpeg

Glad to see you have joined MSW. We are a bunch of people who like Ships of all types. You can learn quite a bit by roaming the branches of this site.

It seems that your in the Boston Area? Have you heard about the Constition Guild or the Merrimack Ship Model Club?

You have a group of ship model guy’s who can teach you and also give advice.

If you are interested I can send you the E- mail address of these two clubs so you could check them out. Good luck with your builds!

Tim Murphy 

Tim, I am a Boston native retiring to the Cape several yrs ago. I attended a modeling show at the Constitution museum a couple of yrs ago probably from the Guild. I was blown away by some of the models on display especially the ones made from Cardboard which looked like wood. I would like to explore the clubs and their email address would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry 

Jerry, glad to see your reply. The two club websites would be; USSCMSG.org for the 

Constition guild. Also, mvsmc.org for the Merrimack (Newburyport) club.

Both web sites may be of benefit for you.

Also, try the shipmodelsocietyofnewjersey.org. They have a very good web site and they are worth taking a look at.

Best of luck

Tim Murphy

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me