HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by niwotwill - Syren Ship Model Company - scale 1:48

You could start on the boom crutches, and the heads. Hope you aren’t gone long. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Will, 

Next time you glue up the strips, here is an alternative that you might like.   I  glue  long strips (6" or more) together slightly thicker than needed.  Once dry I run them through my thickness sander to get to the final thickness.  Once done I can cut of pieces to suit the lengths and widths that I need.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I want to thank everyone for the looks, like and nice comments. 

Allan

I like your idea of how to make strips it definitely would make life easier. I think I just need to get over being frugal with wood. Make a bunch use what you need and feed the barrel with the rest should be my motto.

Kind Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I took your advice Allan and glued 14" strips together and then ran them through the surface sander. I had some 1mm by 5mm by 14" AYC left from planking. I have a scrape piece of 2cm granite from a kitchen remodel that I use for a flat surface. It also has another helpful property glue doesn't adhere. I simple scrape with a straight razor and it clean.

Glued the strips together on the granite and used weights to keep it flat from warping and after letting it dry overnight sanded it down to .026 thick.

IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.70203ded16e424debdcfb6058d635eb4.jpeg

also had granite samples left over from picking the granite to use in the new kitchen

IMG_2355.thumb.jpeg.05a46bd531e6728dceb5a45125c23a2c.jpeg

Now I have enough to remake the companionway. Can't thank you enough Allan.

Many Regards

Will

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

• 2 years later...

It would be funny to say "Well I'm back" since I've been gone for 2 years but I'm back. A little history 4 years ago we moved to Arizona to become snowbirds but it never felt like home. In Nov of 22 we moved back to Colorado. New house, no shop, and too many boxes. I did a miserable job of packing my workshop and now I don't know what box has what. We finished our walkout basement and framed up an area for my shop. All that being done today I finally started just unpacking boxes not knowing what I'd find. One box had soldering equipment both soft and silver solder. Put all of the equipment in a wall cabinet and boy did that feel good. So much to do but I'm back.

Now I'm ready to start planking the Cheerful's deck so new will be progress posts.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I was ready for planking but, I forgot the small forward hatch and galley cover. Needing my mill and having everything packed in boxes from the move forced me to unpack 14 boxes of shop stuff. Spent two days doing the first organizing in my new space. I have some tall cabinets on order so I'll do a proper job of organizing. With the mill found now how to put together. Took quite awhile to remember what went where and then put it all together. Spent the afternoon aligning and squaring and thank goodness for lasers to make it level and square. 

It had been two years since I cut any wood and I can't tell you how good it felt. Found the stock from the larger hatch and went to work. Previously I had made the grate using Syrens kits so it was striaght to the coaming. True confessions the wood bin was well fed.

Completed grate after one coat of wipe on poly

IMG_1578.thumb.jpeg.4941a08b2b7674da0a394beafdb636ef.jpeg

Next on the the galley vent

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Short post bringing everything I completed up to date. 

Finished all the deck furniture

Lined off the hull

First plank laid

More planks tomorrow

IMG_1580.thumb.jpeg.b05c9ae9d5b4e9f12e13f2b79f37b8b8.jpeg

IMG_1581.thumb.jpeg.be0b273ed4fa1fa63847c8b8b27c4a8b.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Another short update. The center planks completed from bow to first hatch.

th

Now its on the lining off the deck for final planking. Prior to lining the deck I needed to protect the finish planking. I've used foam rubber on another model with copper plating with great results. No damage. I'll use the same method this time. Bought a remnant of 5" foam at JoAnns. Cutting a slot the length of the hull and then cutting along the sides creating a valley where the ship sits. I also find that this is very helpful when rigging on the top of a lazy susan. 

IMG_1584.thumb.jpeg.c25c75ef013f9ef68fafb1dec0e46bf9.jpeg

Now on to lining off the deck for planking.

IMG_1582.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Started post and went to lunch so I'm not sure how the photos got reversed. OOPS on my part.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Couple of days working on the center plankings between the furniture pieces. A lot of measuring, cutting, filing and fitting and making a new one. Slow and methodical work with not much to show for the hours spent. 

This is where I stopped today.

IMG_1585.thumb.jpeg.24acc51fbd6c4f8fd81e550827f4d602.jpeg

The starboard piece laying on the false deck is the next to be notched around the companionway and skylight. Studying the work I've done and how it progresses along with several decks where the bent the planks rather that ribbing them into the waterway I decided to nib them. I feel the bent deck planking makes the deck appear to bulbous and the straight seem to be more common.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

• The title was changed to HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by niwotwill - Syren Ship Model Company - scale 1:48

Center planking completed. Several logs mentioned how difficult the center planking had been for them. The manual simply states to start in the center and makes no mention of dificulty. During this process my wood bin got its fair share to fend off hunger. I found it necessary to add an additional plank that facilitates a slight notch around the largest hatch. This worked well finishing the planking by making a logical plank length to build off starting the 4 plank shift pattern. The walnut wood is more varied in color than I wished but after scraping at the mast hole the colors were not as varied so i'm hoping that the deck will blend into a more uniform pattern. Tomorrow I'll start the second plank of the 4 plank shift pattern.

IMG_1588.thumb.jpeg.d4a541e784130fd4dc2639f64cb12eea.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Posted (edited)

Looking good , planking the deck is a really satisfying task, all the enjoyment but non of the stress of other elements of a ship build😁

Edited by Ian B

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Finished the planking up to needing to start ribbing. I've never nibbed a deck into the waterway so I'm going to Rocky Mountain Shipwrights meeting tomorrow. The club is part of Nautical Research and has a meeting on the first Saturday of each month to help and just meet on the third Saturday is the club general meeting. This is a very active club and I'm glad to be a member.

IMG_1589.thumb.jpeg.cc65563ff59baac668f3ada92797ca37.jpeg

More after the meeting tomorrow

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Starboard side deck complete and ready for scraping and sanding. Cutting the margin plank was not very difficult towards the bow but when cutting the aftermost was very difficult. Forward  the margin plank has a rather severe curve that allowed the cuts rather short. The short cuts made matching the plank into the nibbing fairly quick without too many oops along the way. The after plank nibbing made for long cuts into the margin plank. Several of these were slightly off grain so many new blades were required. The last is 1/4" wide and made of three pieces. I was able to make the ends from 3/16" planks nibbed into the margin. The center plank is the 1/4" wide with a radius cut into the margin plank side which allowed the ends to align with end pieces. The center was extremely difficult to make. First I tried making a pattern from paper and then cutting a poster card with no success. Finally taking the plank sanding one end to align with the 3/16" end piece and with trial and error getting the width and radius correct I cut the plank to length. Lastly sanding the shape to match the curve and butt against the forward end piece.

It all came together

IMG_1593.thumb.jpeg.85ee3ec94b20f1d4dd02255085baff04.jpeg

The photo exaggerates the butt joints which are tighter than the iPhone photo

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Not much to say except the deck is planked waiting for glue to set. Tomorrow I'll sand and scrape if I get that done wipe on poly will be applied. Next is reading the instructions and start with another project.

IMG_1594.thumb.jpeg.d42e208ad2d4509cb0b0eabeef872944.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Now with the deck completed its time to start the cap rail tops. I spent a few hours trying to decide whether to use Alaskan Yellow Cedar or Boxwood. The Boxwood held an edge better the AYC but was very hard to cut so in the end I'll use AKC. First were the timberheads where I followed the suggested method by drawing a pattern on a shaped piece of wood. I cut the first and then used it as the pattern so I could make all 6 with the same shape. It was also time to shape the rudder and make a hole in the counter. Drilling the hole in the counter was nerve wracking let me tell you. All done for some photos.

Rudder shaped with a piece that simulates the rudder post inside the counter

IMG_1595.thumb.jpeg.f1a54d184d53ed99bdc5c58d154a8d6c.jpeg

Forward timberheads

IMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.3f08f7dbebcb34a10503d5c1b2c441bb.jpeg

After timberheads and you can see the rudder hole that still needs to be painted

IMG_1597.thumb.jpeg.602baf4b4e29a884dad3c2b15c87fe95.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

With all that done it is time to make the boom crutches. These are going to be simulated to be an extension of the fashion piece. Following the manual I first made the stem angle aligned with the fashion piece when viewed from the rear. The second angle is to align with fashion piece when viewed from the side. These are to simulate being one piece with fashion piece. Now the face needs to be looking at the mast and with this done I glued the crutch to the cap rail. Next will be filling the joint and sanding making it appear as an extension of the fashion piece. That said it took two full days and seven attempts to make one. 

Couple of photos from stern and side

IMG_1603.thumb.jpeg.85c6cf693e06722bb92a6604668dd459.jpeg

IMG_1604.thumb.jpeg.c52e42ba517e44ee43af12331cd8ad5e.jpeg
Not to sand the top making the last angle toward where the boom would be at rest. Putty and paint. Oh yea I have to make another for the other side.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build: