HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by niwotwill - Syren Ship Model Company - scale 1:48

You will most likely have some real problems on the port side planking up to the sheer.   You should remove and fix the "kink" or abrupt bend in the planking.  It appears just aft or under the last port opening.  Other than that the planking looks lovely.

Chuck

I think you’ regret the gaps later. Don’t be reluctant to pull planking off and do it again.  I ripped portions of the port planking twice and the starboard planking three times. it didn’t bother me to do that and I had the wood to do it over…and over.

Here is a mindset I had to develop after so many years of kit building: With Cheerful we aren’t limited to any single width of plank. There are multiple widths included on the wood list, we can cut a slightly wider or more narrow plank to make it work. 5/32, 7/32, 3/16, it just takes patience and trial runs, maybe a little ripping off to get it to work. Once you have it sanded and WOP’d it will look great and you’ll never know where you made the adjustments. 

There are certain places you have to be exact, that 1/16th strip and the wales placement are two of them.  From there compute the distance and cut planks to fit. 

You have a well faired hull, the planking will come out fine. If I can offer one piece of advice,  don’t settle or accept work you know isn’t right. You’ll sort it out and all will be great at the end. You might recall in my log I noted I felt like I’d planked two Cheerful’s but had only one to show for it 🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Chuck and Glenn thank you for your sincere and honest comments which I have taken to heart. This morning I ripped off the offending planks and started the process of preparing the bulwarks for new planks. 

The first strake and 1/16" trim removed from the starboard side. I tookthe  advice to not use alcohol or heat to loosen the glue joints. First using a #11 blade to free the plank from adjoining planks then a sharp chisel to dig out the plank. Surprisingly how easy the glue joints broke apart and then pulling the plank free.

IMG_1698.thumb.jpeg.c7d2ccf4859df1d290e1811ceb79cc15.jpeg

Same process for the port side

IMG_1699.thumb.jpeg.6d559dd1ed1576ef565eec8bd7e69693.jpeg

Both side from stem

IMG_1700.thumb.jpeg.317ef073148ec20e900f572179880b41.jpeg

Planks added using spring clips to hold while glue sets on starboard side

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.aebdad6d274678c0db97aba6ab6375c0.jpeg

Finished starboard side with no offending gaps

IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.480424fb96622958c450d241a437d5e6.jpeg

Now on to Chucks comment about the sharp rise aft of the last gunport. This created a perplexing conundrum to study and finally solve. Measuring and checking plans along with both sides I finally saw that problem. The sill on the last gunport was not following the true flow of the deck and wales. The fix won't be so easy as I see three ways to approach. 

1. Since the forward edge of the sill, where it attaches, to the bulwark is the correct height and the aft edge is too low a tapered shim might be placed correcting the angle to match.

2. Use a paring chisel to shape the existing sill and then add a shim of the correct thickness.

3. Remove the sill and add a new one in the correct location and angle.

Not sure how this happened but then maybe I don't need to know just fix the problem and move on.

Planks removed ready for fixing the sill , cleanup, paint and planking.

IMG_1703.thumb.jpeg.69db48e6da810372881841ba11730532.jpegIMG_1704.thumb.jpeg.e99f14bf027b0f7a6ea0966774e3930b.jpeg

During this process I've learned that it is better to fix the problem and sometimes the problem is worse than the fix. I have a few areas on the wales that I'm not happy with but there will be a second layer to cover these areas so I decided not to fix the minor gaps along the wales.

Again thank you Chuck and Glenn you've made me realize that I'll be much happier with my Cheerful model without the good enough attitude. As I progress I'll be looking for any and all input you might offer.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I took option 3 from previous post and removed everything to start a new port sill and sides. I had been wondering how I had gotten the sill off location by 1/32" on the aft end but when I got everything off my marks were still visible and in the correct location. HUH! Made a new sill and how I had forgotten the difficulty to get the sill properly aligned. The sweep of the bulwarks and the upward angle all made for each end to have a double angle cut to fit against the bulwarks. Everything in the proper position and location now to finish sanding and painting. While I have the paint out I'll add a couple of coats to all the ports.

Picture of the port removed. Not very pretty.

IMG_1705.thumb.jpeg.9c203144fa31ab3a980fa77cf7bf8740.jpeg

Sill and side back in place with alignment jig in place

IMG_1706.thumb.jpeg.185121589632faebb113e7afa6343119.jpegIMG_1707.thumb.jpeg.a8d87a49bd684fc5a96aebda29eecf42.jpeg

Ready to finish and paint after installation and fairing

IMG_1708.thumb.jpeg.ae5243b5d60eb2d30e6eb905909c1c67.jpeg

Painting tomorrow and then on to planking again for the third time

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Well worth the effort and the learning in the long run. Well on your way to a very nice recovery. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Again I want to thank everyone for following and the likes, comments and suggestions.

Completed the planking from wales to gunports 1/16 strip. On the port side I even had to remove the aft section of the wales and planking above. I think the planking is looking pretty good except a small gap on the top wale and first plank of about .01" but I think it will be covered with the second layer of wales. I'll keep looking at it and decide as I go on. I've learned a lot during this process so I'm not too concerned as I know I can fix it if needed.

Also knowing I can fix planking allows me to continue planking up to the sheer so I guess that is the next step.

completed planking port side

IMG_1710.thumb.jpeg.ed330d4843569f63cc590a35bda71f07.jpeg

completed starboard side

IMG_1711.thumb.jpeg.4e3993d5f376ee2867e57c6e606f98e7.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Just a quick update with not much to share. Starting up to the sheer planking and as it has been said before it tedious work. Learning to do over if not happy with result has considerably slowed progress. Cut, fit, glue and do it again. I'm starting to make progress with the fitting and less redo but it is still tedious work. Took a break and planked from the aft port to transom for relief and visual satisfaction.

Port side planking

IMG_1714.thumb.jpeg.b6b7a38bbf089ebe61b79f37cb27eef7.jpeg

My therapeutic visual planking

IMG_1715.thumb.jpeg.6a25665f5d3132e2b79a5ea73f31668e.jpeg

Liking what progress I've done but waiting to see the how WOP looks when its finished is hard.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Finished the port side planking up to sheer and did a light sanding. After all the work of measuring and cutting the individual pieces it looks good. When the 2nd layer of moulding is on the planking will look more better as the uneven thicknesses wouldn't be visible. The process of cutting the individual pieces got quicker as I went along so I hoping the starboard side won't take as long.

couple of photos of ports side completed

IMG_1722.thumb.jpeg.3a11513c53fe6bff1324a6da2baf1baf.jpegIMG_1723.thumb.jpeg.2f5733dc5cce2392b0b3d410cc43a7e5.jpegIMG_1725.thumb.jpeg.0464041a6c5c8db73f4f4c8ad8240480.jpeg

Starting starboard side tomorrow

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Major problem today. I was close to finish planking the starboard side when I opened a tool cupboard above the Cheerful work area and when I reached in to get something and the waterline marker fell on the Cheerful. At first it looked undamaged but then I saw a gouge and a long scratch down the side. 

Most of the repair will be fairly easy as it is above the 1/16" plank but the gouge is on two planks above the wales. I don't feel as if I need to replace the wales and 1/16" moulding as there will be a second layer. The two planks will have to be dug out and replaced. (good thing I've had so much practice)

I think I'll go ahead and finish the planking especially since I trimmed and bent the after two pieces.  And while at it I make the repairs to the damaged planks between ports 5 and 6.

Keep telling my self it could be worse and landed on the boat and knocked it to the floor breaking things.

IMG_1747.thumb.jpeg.01ed6a54a489d3e752463f2c9bcb9f40.jpeg

IMG_1749.thumb.jpeg.e85f1fc63b93b623eb879194372927c6.jpeg

IMG_1748.thumb.jpeg.f6762b9f72cbba783a96c7c727e96a8d.jpeg

On to repairs tomorrow

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

`

58 minutes ago, niwotwill said:

gouge and a long scratch down the side

You know, having spent 13 years working on a real ship, this is just par for the course.  These are scars that tell a story, which is all good.  There was that time when we came into port and ends up the bow thruster had corroded away and fallen out, and the captain tried slide it up to the dock... and well it didn't work so well.

Edited by Tim Holt

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

Got up this morning and couldn't bring myself #11 blade and then used a 3mm paring chisel to start digging. Unlike some port side planks this did not just lift and peel off. Piece by piece it came out without causing additional damage. Now just the careful cleanup getting ready for the new plank.

I'm going to post the process as it continues rather than wait to the end, so here goes. Here's a photo of the removed plank

IMG_1750.thumb.jpeg.5bdd3cedbb9cdc7de7fd3ac21f600f5e.jpeg

Closeup of area to clean

IMG_1751.thumb.jpeg.bb69af630f05a3277df9c5561b1b56fd.jpeg

More to come throughout the cleanup

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

All the offending planks removed and ready to cleanup for new. It was very difficult digging out the planks without damaging the surrounding planks. Start to add new planks this afternoon. Anxious to see how it looks but decided if i'm not satisfied with the results I'll remove all the strakes and start over. 

First plank cleaned ready for new

IMG_1752.thumb.jpeg.a159e66c8c6ebe2dc11386b764e2e9df.jpeg

All offending planks removed and ready for cleanup

IMG_1753.thumb.jpeg.5e90550239ea39315fb06e42bf737062.jpeg

Hoping I can make it work really don't want to start over but will.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Well my fears have come to pass and I'm starting the starboard side planking over. When running a #11 blade between the planks  in between the bulkheads I pushed the blade too deep causing a gap when a new straight plank was placed. I did this at multiple locations and it was such that gaps were very noticeable. Tried to use a wider plank and shape it to fit the gaps but getting the gaps starting, depth, stopping correct was not working.

So the decision was made to start over and do a better job the second time. Had quite a mess of glue to cleanup. Got out the 80 grit and faired the entire gunport area stem to stern. Next down to 150 grit to smooth the bulkheads, sill, and port sides and finally 320 grit to finish. Painted the ports and when dry start over.

Bare boat before sanding.

IMG_1754.thumb.jpeg.4b51fada7eaef5b52eec43d15c58fab5.jpeg

Sanded and painted boat 

IMG_1755.thumb.jpeg.2eab17e2150410e753982d9085d0d508.jpeg

Inventoried the wood pile and not sure if I have enough so I ordered wood from Modelers Sawmill and I'll start when the wood arrives. Its going to be the end of August before I can get back cheerfully working on Cheerful. We are going on vacation for 3 weeks and won't be back until 8/24/21.

See You Then

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Good for you making the tough decision to start over. At least you didn’t have the frame destroyed like I did. I went through a lot of planking. I don’t regret it at all, I got better each time as I’m sure you are. 

3 weeks of vacation…nice!

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Well we've had a change of plans and postponed or cancelled our vacation due to the Delta variant infection rate and my poor health. 

Started putting the starboard side back together with the wales. After placing the 1/16" trim moulding and starting the strakes between the wales and trim I had forgotton how hard it is to get two strakes fitting between them. I measured the distance at each frame dividing it in half to shape the plank.

The first one from the stem was easy since it is so short it was just a matter of an angle. The second plank goes to frame 8 and starts wide narrowing towards the middle and then straight to the end. The fourth plank fits as it should but the proof will be the second strake. 

IMG_1771.thumb.jpeg.b2aa3d646fc7e7a3e31209dbc759a01c.jpegIMG_1770.thumb.jpeg.c33c32a4eef2d57a860d2a362827a6c4.jpegIMG_1775.thumb.jpeg.158fd2d0c7c4ccd77ce536de06caa99a.jpeg

Just a quick update and tomorrow will be finishing the first strake and starting the second.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Finished the first strake above the wales. The planks were made using 3/16" wide strips shaped to fit the 1/2 distance between the wales and 1/16" moulding. The aft most plank had to be made from 7/32" wide strip as the moulding sweeps up from frame 14 and beyond. Started the first plank of the 2nd strake and will finish tomorrow.

A few pictures of the planking so far.

IMG_1776.thumb.jpeg.140739f6333aa679d82be710bad7cfd0.jpegIMG_1777.thumb.jpeg.9038ca39c24aaf7a2498f081507a063d.jpegIMG_1778.thumb.jpeg.e2d0a796ea6a0c295877ee3c562e83f0.jpeg

I think I can finish the 2nd strake tomorrow. Time will tell and how much sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting it will take.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

After waiting a few days looking at the planking above the wales I am not happy with the way it looks. I realized that I had sanded the entry into the stem rabbit as if it was a wale strake. This caused the uneven planks in the front. So I'll take it off and make another correctly. I had been concentrating of the spaces adjacent to planks and not the entry to the rabbit. Too much sanding.

Thanks for all the looks and especially the likes it really helps with all my redos.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Taking a few weeks off helped the mental attitude and I started above the wales again. I had forgotten how tedious it was getting the planks shaped at the stem but I got them in with results I'm happy with. Getting the first 2 planks in the first strake with 1st plank in the 2nd strake was very tike consuming as I had to make three attempts to my satisfaction. 

Just a quick picture of the start. What appears to gap at the stem between the first plank and wales is actually a shadow caused by the wale being thinned to half for the final layer to fit into the rabbit.

IMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.c142f031fca0e769582fec70ceba04c9.jpeg

I feels good to start again. Tomorrow I'll get the strakes between the wale and moulding piece completed and then finally on the stern.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Thanks Glenn I keep studying the plans but maybe I should color the drop plank.

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Thanks Paul and Glenn for the information and like along with everyone else. It really helps keep me going.

Today was spent finishing the strakes between the wales and molding. Everything went very smoothly until getting to the aft most planks. I had forgotten how much the molding swept up and to fill the gap I had to use 7/32" material. Getting the pieces to sweep up evenly and together was very time consuming and required multiple tries. The end result is good and I'm very happy. Started the molding to sheer to continue tomorrow.

Picture of fist strake with second starting. The molding looks like the line is wrong but its an optical illusion it does have a nice flow.

IMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.8421f39225d109ce665434f0f96a203d.jpeg

Picture of the final strakes wale to molding

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.166492e0d480abfdb4047cc1923492a9.jpeg

Again thank for the looks, likes and comments much appreciated

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Yippee👏 Finally back to where the construction where the accident happened. Been a long hard road but the molding to sheer planking is completed. 

Just a couple of pictures showing the Cheerful as she is today. Looking good besides being cheerful. HA HA HA

Starboard broadside view

IMG_1846.thumb.jpeg.d00384f3b9a338c46239b3248d99f6f2.jpeg

From the stem

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.e808c40a47c00c404b1703575b48b849.jpeg

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build: