Don,

Are you going to do other internal planking?  If you are you should consider putting on a few ribbands on the hull to hold the frames true while adding the internal planking which would usually start with the limber strakes then the thickstuff, then the lower deck clamp and so forth.  When you get to where there are two or three more strakes of thick stuff before you get to the lower deck clamp, CAREFULLY mark the run of the strakes of clamps.  Keep in mind that in your time frame, the deck clamps were likely mortised to allow the deck beams to be let down into the top of the clamp about one inch.   As these will likely not be seen unless you are leaving openings so an observer can see down into the model.  If you forgo letting the beams down into the clamps, it is not a horrible thing to skip this, but 0.02"  (1") would be noticeable if someone looked for this.   

If you are only going to add the strakes of clamps, adding the ribbands is still a good idea so the clamps are not twisting and flexing the frames when being installed.   The clamps (and other internal planking) should be pre-bent or soaked thoroughly then temporarily installed until dry, then removed and then glued in place, one strake at a time as they will swell while still wet. Id secured while wet there will be gaps between strakes.  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

35 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Don,

Are you going to do other internal planking?  If you are you should consider putting on a few ribbands on the hull to hold the frames true

I would like to plank the inside if it works out. If I put the ribbands on when do I fair the outside of the hull. Do I leave that until just before I plank the outside?