HMS Diana by ECK - Caldercraft - 1:64

Opened box and started before joining but here is the work to date. Have planked the main gun deck. Have been looking at other logs as I forsee the placing of the gunports will be an issue as the plans and guide not usefull. Appears they need to be adjacent to a rib for at least 8 of them. The plans say 30 mm apart but looks more like 33.

IMG_4438 2.HEIC

IMG_4439 2.HEIC

Hi ECK,

Good to see another Diana builder on the forum. DIana is a great kit with plenty of challenges: you have already identified one of them, but you'll find lots of help and ideas from previous Diana builders' logs on this site. You've made a great start, so keep going and enjoy!

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

Current Build

HM Cutter Trial 1790 Vanguard Models 1:64

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

yes it is tanganyka, which comes with the kit but I put on a sanding sealer then several coats of of a matt polyurethane.I also penciled the edges to give some line effect. For wood this thin I find markers bleed.

So ... planked the gun deck. To mark the gunports I first made a wood template to try measurment.

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.f4c37dacf348a9c0c660c586dc45ef67.jpeg

Turned out to keep most ports next to a rib the distance worked out to 4.7 mm from front of port to next front of port except at frame 12-13 where 5mm worked to keep things in line. Then used painter tape to mark it ou.t Looks pretty straight and regular.

IMG_4454.thumb.jpeg.1cc5f306d734ea31b00b06169fad64b5.jpeg

IMG_4456.thumb.jpeg.c718f1b94c2b0f1bde5de8befbad8b08.jpeg

IMG_4455.thumb.jpeg.72ca22b7af0efaca1c0473b4618665c7.jpeg

Also placed supporting ribs next to port edges not against a frame.

IMG_4457.thumb.jpeg.11086ae27d4ed19ebcd1efd6e36071cd.jpeg

IMG_4456.jpeg

Looking good!

Is that the HMS Snake in the backround? There seems to be an Occre kit in the backround too. Care to show us some pictures?

You are very observant and correct so... here are the ships in order that I built

HMS Victory, first but learnt a lot as the instructions were very thorough

IMG_4443.thumb.jpeg.9916433726974d11d82adef33076a058.jpeg

Second, Soleil Royale

IMG_4445.thumb.jpeg.4847f2cbde91f9f4f20df7cb66fb4c8a.jpeg

Third USS Constitution

IMG_4444.thumb.jpeg.96381bb438bf99629ece9becc3dfd1fd.jpeg

Fourth HMS Surprise

IMG_4442.thumb.jpeg.aebc7aa3f017f213ff01af569a74e0f8.jpeg

Fifth is the HMS Agamemnon here next to my seventh (completed 3 weeks ago) HMS Snake, together for size comparison since same scale

IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.a70cd09d240199d6aec4ca12b0e1372a.jpeg

IMG_4417.thumb.jpeg.54f98ae2b4a084d7591e71965a4b8ce1.jpeg

and sixth as you recognized the Occre ship Montanes

IMG_4259.thumb.jpeg.c05e2f322f3ce7bcab118de990c4648b.jpeg

IMG_4262 2.jpeg

IMG_4420 5.21.21 PM.HEIC

:omg:  The Diana is going be easy for you!

That is quite an incredible collection you have there. How long did they take?

Edited by BenD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ECK, apologies for missing your start, although you're making amazingly fast progress.  There are a number of current Diana/Artois build going on on the site right now and always good to see another.  Your other builds look great, hope you don't mid me pulling up a chair to follow along.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks. With the kids in college, I can spend 2-3 hrs a day working on it as my stress reliever. Biggest problem with the kit is the vagueness of instruction at times, definitely worse than other of their models.  Will sand today and fill in cracks as it will be all painted and coppered.  I will then put in the whale and copper.  I like to copper at this pint as it avoids breaking things . They should change the order in their instructions.

Glad to hear form the originator. Actually look forward to working on it. It is definitely not a beginner kit but after a couple of thers it is manageable especially with these forms where you can see what others have done. 

You have a fantastic collection of models and definately something to aspire to. The Diana is definately one of the models I would like to build in the future but as I am just a beginner fI elt I should like to build something smaller first. I have just completed the Bounty by Amati but have now just started on the Endeavour and just moved onto Caldercraft. I would like to tag along if I may as I think I could learn a lot form your construction techniques? I also see you have also built the Agermemnon  which is another one I would be interested in building once I have honed my skills somewhat. However as I haven,t yet built a war ship as such I thought I would probably be better off going for the snake first. What are your thoughts of the Caldercraft range as I see you have tried a few different manufacturers? I hope you don,t mind me adding these questions to your blog and perhaps I should have sent you a message instead. Sorry! if that is the case Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

So  I first saw an add for HMS Victory  by De Agostini. Formidable as first build, my kids said I should do it, having previously done balsa wood airplanes. SO I got it 5 yrs or so ago. It had excellent instructions and You tube videos. Although not perfect came out reasonably well. Then did their Soleil Royale (plans ok) and constitution (had to print instructions from internet). The company plan for planking involves using more stealer strips than trimming for the bow. Also coppering done d\differently with straight line at water level and then cutting pieces at keel.  Easier to get straight line that way. Finally did their Surprise kit, which was the prettiest but plans less detailed. Had to do mast/yard and rigging from on line plans.

Major issue with the company is horrific costumer service, often never getting replies or the parts. An issue as had often missing cast parts (which I eventually received). Hard to buy needed pieces as have to search to fing products similar as the company does not say where source kits are from.

Next did Caldercraft kits. Plans ok but helped that I had done the others. Only pars issue is never enough rigging line for running rigging but easy to buy.

Did one Occre (Montanes) kit and have Trinidad waiting to start after Diana. Instruction not to bad but short on some rigging thread and blocks. Also box did not have brass cut out for stern and had to have them send it . There costumer service site works but took a few months to cross the pond and I had to do follow up emails to make sure things were being done.  All in all, although plans, depending on the model, are a little harder to follow, most complete kit were the Caldercraft ones. Only wish could have sails but the ships look good with just the rigging.

After looking at this form, I am can't wait until the Amati Victory is available as will be the biggest model to date.  Has anyone heard about when it might come out?

ECK

2 hours ago, ECK said:

So  I first saw an add for HMS Victory  by De Agostini. Formidable as first build, my kids said I should do it, having previously done balsa wood airplanes. SO I got it 5 yrs or so ago. It had excellent instructions and You tube videos. Although not perfect came out reasonably well. Then did their Soleil Royale (plans ok) and constitution (had to print instructions from internet). The company plan for planking involves using more stealer strips than trimming for the bow. Also coppering done d\differently with straight line at water level and then cutting pieces at keel.  Easier to get straight line that way. Finally did their Surprise kit, which was the prettiest but plans less detailed. Had to do mast/yard and rigging from on line plans.

Major issue with the company is horrific costumer service, often never getting replies or the parts. An issue as had often missing cast parts (which I eventually received). Hard to buy needed pieces as have to search to fing products similar as the company does not say where source kits are from.

Next did Caldercraft kits. Plans ok but helped that I had done the others. Only pars issue is never enough rigging line for running rigging but easy to buy.

Did one Occre (Montanes) kit and have Trinidad waiting to start after Diana. Instruction not to bad but short on some rigging thread and blocks. Also box did not have brass cut out for stern and had to have them send it . There costumer service site works but took a few months to cross the pond and I had to do follow up emails to make sure things were being done.  All in all, although plans, depending on the model, are a little harder to follow, most complete kit were the Caldercraft ones. Only wish could have sails but the ships look good with just the rigging.

After looking at this form, I am can't wait until the Amati Victory is available as will be the biggest model to date.  Has anyone heard about when it might come out?

ECK

The Amati Victory sounds interesting. I am far from an expert on anything to do with Amati but generally speaking I think the wood in general is high quality than the Caldercraft stuff. However I did have an issue with the clips for the lower dead eyes were pretty useless and wish I had changed them for the Caldercraft, however someone with your experience might not have the same issue. I think the instruction for amati were ok but the drawings for the rigging were way off for the period of ship (Bounty) After lots of head scratching and loads of stuff I had to do again I finally got there . I might one day go back and build another Bounty but there is so many yo choose from . Thanks for taking the time to do a great blog for us to follow. Best regards Dave and keep up the excellent work.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Finished the whales, I think needed a bit more curve but followed the plans. When I look at my Agamemnon, it should be okay. Gun deck ports and bulwark painted.At this point I am going to copper the hull for the next couple of weeks. I find it easier to do now as nothing to damage when I have it flipped over or sticking out to snag .

IMG_4525.thumb.jpeg.e14b995a55dc3bd625e2d1692cccaa3c.jpegIMG_4524.thumb.jpeg.216f88e84025191d3e9f66bf6a26253e.jpegIMG_4526.thumb.jpeg.c70fe3f8e97acdcffd70eb75cc06e009.jpegIMG_4523.thumb.jpeg.13560dca850f04d1b836d82ef531f8cc.jpeg