Wooden single block hole count

I've noticed that most of the cheap wooden blocks included in kits that I've built, that single blocks usual contain only one hole, but the more expensive blocks that you can buy separately usual contain two holes with a connected grove between the two holes. Whats the difference? And what's the purpose of the second hole? If I have a single line that goes thru the block should it pass thru both holes?

Current build: Armed Virginia Sloop

Previous Builds: , Amati Fifie, Glad Tidings,Bluenose II, Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Fair American, Danmark, Constitution Cross Section, Bluenose 

Here is a diagram of how they are made, Hope that clears things up.

568317329_BlockConstruction.png.bbb6f8c87a6da4f6dc8ecdb86698f69e.png

Edited by BenD

Sorry, that makes me more confused. Compare the two pictures below, the first is what I typically find in most kits I've built, the second is what I can buy separately from those provided in the kit. The first is inferior but only has one hole so it is obvious how to use it. The second looks more realistic  but the fact that it has two holes instead on one is what's causing my confusion. Do I use just one of the holes and ignore the other or should I be using both holes with the same line? Why have two holes? Should the one line pass thru both holes? Is the second hole for a second line? Or is the fact that there are two holes merely a convenience to simplify mounting, as the ones with one hole typically have the hole closer to one end than the other. For the first type what determines which side of the mounting the single hole should be toward? Does it matter? Am I over complicating?

lat8511.jpeg.b31988fdfc39cd679d9b2d4b7a3b1fb6.jpegs-l1600.jpeg.28722b8098a1ef571f4c656fce46766e.jpeg

Previous Builds: , Amati Fifie, Glad Tidings,Bluenose II, Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, Fair American, Danmark, Constitution Cross Section, Bluenose 

The two holes are for showing the sheave, The wheel that is inside the block. I attached a photo of a Carronade with tackle, look closely at how the rope goes through the blocks.

1052384418_NiagaraToronto8.thumb.jpg.5edbf698960edb9cb00b421451ae45b1.jpg

Here is a picture from the Niagrara. Look closely at the blocks.

810852532_NiagaraBuffalo9.png.1386d772bbd365534b1b5eff845d676a.png

Edited by BenD

D,

This can be confusing but in your photos the pieces with single holes really don't look much like blocks at all.  The shape is not accurate and there is a hole that appears to be way over scale and in the wrong place.    There is a slot formed when the shell pieces and crown and tail pieces are assembled, not   holes.   The sheave is assembled within this box.  Google wooden block assembly and there are a lot of photos of blocks and drawings.  The following  may help in the meantime.  Note the shape over all compared to what the kit has provided.   You can make your own that will be much better or purchase some beautiful blocks from Syren Ship Models.

1015917895_Blocksassembly.jpg.e9c6ebebd16525fe7f137acbef89dbf4.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Dsmith20639, It helps a lot if you try to understand how a block works, which is what I think people are really getting at as they try to help you here.

The second hole is not exactly what I would call redundant, though, yes, you will only run a line through one hole or the other.

For one thing, a block with two holes looks more like a real block than ones with only one hole. Also, having only one hole can result in you stropping the block upside down – something I see a lot in beginner's models, and it looks silly once you realize what you're looking at (But, I can't bring myself to point out the error in people's models).

A block with two holes helps to prevents you from making that error since it's the same, whichever way you orient the block.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I know how real blocks are made and work and I realize that the holes are there to just simulate the sheave. So am I right that you only use the one hole for the line (the one closest to the point where the block is connected) and that the lay of the line thru the block which then covers the other hole in effect makes the other hole redundant (since you can no longer see it) and it is there only for convenience when orienting  the block when you are mounting it on a yard or line?

Catapower, thank you , your explanation  confirms my opinion. Just looking for clarification from people with more experience, so I am not making mistakes when I build a ship with better quality materials. I have some of Syren's blocks, only wanted to be sure I was using them correctly.

I think you got it.  Also, many times, blocks get installed on the yards, etc. without being rigged (for example, not adding sails to the model) and thus, the blocks look more realistic with the two holes.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)