Vought F4U-1A Corsair by Edwardkenway - FINISHED - Revell - 1:32

Looking real good so far  - I have never heard that trick  and to be honest I would find in uncomfortable  to use the hover on the floor while wearing womens tights......cough cough cough....😆

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

to be honest I would find in uncomfortable  to use the hover on the floor while wearing womens tights......cough cough cough....😆

I did close the blinds😅

Seriously though I think it was mentioned in Craig's Scharnhorst build log.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That's right blame it on Craig! :)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Its this site  - does something to us, turns us into  - Popcorn munching  food  o holics  -  ladies tights wearing  model makers.😆😲😛

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

47 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Popcorn munching  food  o holics  -  ladies tights wearing  model makers.

Well, skirts are cool, but I draw the line at wearing dresses....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

11 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Well, skirts are cool, but I draw the line at wearing dresses....

And Bra's  even if we do get men boobs   lol.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Edwardkenway, if you have not yet considered it, I might suggest to apply drops of white glue, in successive applications, to the knobs of the PE levers to make the knobs to appear more 'rounded'. Good progress otherwise, waiting to see more.

Best regards,

Dan.

PS. Are you sure the cockpit interior was yellow and not green?

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Its this site  - does something to us, turns us into  - Popcorn munching  food  o holics  -  ladies tights wearing  model makers.

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

And Bra's  even if we do get men boobs   lol.

Speak for yourself OC. 😵:)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I mentioned it...........I've taken a woman's nylons and put it over the nozzle of the vac.   hasn't failed me yet  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

This is beginning to sound like Monty Python's "The Lumberjack Song".    <Mark backs away slowly.....>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

47 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

This is beginning to sound like Monty Python's "The Lumberjack Song".    <Mark backs away slowly.....>

Buttered scones for tea anyone?😅

4 hours ago, Danstream said:

Hi Edwardkenway, if you have not yet considered it, I might suggest to apply drops of white glue, in successive applications, to the knobs of the PE levers to make the knobs to appear more 'rounded'. Good progress otherwise, waiting to see more.

Best regards,

Dan.

PS. Are you sure the cockpit interior was yellow and not green?

Thanks Dan, I'll  do that!

I used Tamiya cockpit green but the flash went off on the 2nd photo. I'm going to give it all another coat before picking out the detail colours. Thanks for your interest and much appreciated help and advice 👍

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

"The Lumberjack Song".

I think it would have sounded better if it had been a French Canadian lumberjack accent.:D

53 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I used Tamiya cockpit green

Is that a version of Zink Chromate Green? or just something Tamiya came up with?

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

Is that a version of Zink Chromate Green? or just something Tamiya came up with?

I think it's Tamiyas version of the zinc chromate green, how close it is to the real colour I'm not sure!

Current builds;

Completed:

Probably late but Tamiya's Interior green is a couple of shades darker than MM's ZC green, absolutely accurate for an early birdcage F4U-1 or 1A corsair....

This is the basic early corrosion treatment and the colors used to about mid '43... (stolen from Large Scale Planes)

From what I've gathered over many years for an F4U-1 and some Early -1"A"

-"Salmon" ( with Indian red paste in the chromate base to achieve the shade color/tone)- on everything as a secondary primer coat in interior and exterior application. Fuselage, tail sections, outer wing panels, cowling interiors.

This is excluded in... 

- Cockpit- dull dark green/interior green derivative of a Vought/Brewster/Goodyear application and variations based on paint stocks and manufacture at the time. Excluded are from "Salmon" are the tops/ bottoms of the wing center section, parts of forward fuselage, eg: accessory section covers and sometimes tail gear wheel bay, colors explained below.

-"Yellow" zinc chromate primer- exterior of center wing section throughout production. At times the tail gear bay and engine accessory section depending on production block time frame saw "Yellow" zinc chromate in these areas. But later became standard on F4U-1"A" production.

There's more to this but these are basics.

Images illustrating this from the same source......

1-Fuselage-Sections.jpg.a4a3d178a1f460fff206d0c581d0f59e.jpg2-Engine-Area.jpg.e6382ca72528168aad36223ce5723c75.jpg3-Trailing-Starboard-Wing.jpg.b64ed93133bfd7c2bc93a819074750d7.jpg4-Cockpit.jpg.bc6cedb10fda081b9ee9d8a1b2339b45.jpg5-Engine-Assemblies.jpg.6ecfbef5f384ab45acddf8c62e11c95f.jpg6-Port-Wing-Underside.jpg.6bb99ec4ae4cc6128f11a9ddacae8598.jpg7-Firewall.jpg.082cf71456b79250fa35297702374b91.jpg8-Closeup-of-Primer-on-Wing.jpg.8c4604fe82b5d8e8f2395cc7238138a9.jpg9-Port-Outer-Wing.jpg.06fcb1cd044158cfe494c2ec832ff2db.jpg10-Starboard-Outer-Wing.jpg.0ad45de01d908a0ee72585d2cbb763c4.jpg11-Starboard-Strut-Extended.jpg.0252b690eddff91fc7c61b3f5d32fcc3.jpg12-Port-Strut-and-Main-LG-Doors.jpg.f38e875df49b74696df8fa920c51bb8d.jpg13-Port-Strut-and-Wheel-Bay.jpg.660ff6d7617ec48ba8b522935518417b.jpg14-Wheel-Bay.jpg.6a8037dad6871bc5e6a0d6a255c1cd5a.jpg

The images I believe are from an early corsair some sources say it was recovered from Lk Michigan and being restored up there and others say it is from an F4U-1 Corsair being restored in Pensacola FL...

Video of a Corsair being restored in California....

So dark ZC Green on the cockpit, ZC yellow everywhere else that will show, open engine and fuselage panels pink salmon.....

That's what they were....

Hope it helps....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, Roger Pellett said:

As a kid growing up in the 1950’s in a suburb of Akron, Ohio I remember flights of these flying overhead.  Goodyear Aircraft built them in a plant at the Akron Municipal Airport.  This would have been during the Korean War.

Roger

As a kid in elementary school in the early 1960's, I had a classmate from Honduras who told me they had Corsairs in the Honduran air force. I found this very hard to believe at the time and was surprised when I grew older to learn they actually did fly them just as my friend said they did. Growing up, I never saw a Corsair in flight, only read about them and saw photos in magazines and encyclopedias. The Corsair aircraft were used by the Honduran's as late as 1969 in the Soccer Wars. 

32 minutes ago, CDW said:

When you see these guys rebuilding a Corsair as in the video posted by EG, makes you wonder how they mass produced them so quickly during WW2. Skilled workers for sure.

Make that lots of skilled workers.  I've seen photos of aircraft assembly from WWII and it's amazing how many workers were in and around each one during the building phase.   And also during the subassembly phase.   No CNC machines or computer welding then either.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, mtaylor said:

Make that lots of skilled workers.  I've seen photos of aircraft assembly from WWII and it's amazing how many workers were in and around each one during the building phase.   And also during the subassembly phase.   No CNC machines or computer welding then either.

That's what makes it so impressive. Many of those skilled workers were made as I am sure there could not have been that many seasoned workers available when the war first broke out. Very mechanically complicated processes.

8 minutes ago, CDW said:

That's what makes it so impressive. Many of those skilled workers were made as I am sure there could not have been that many seasoned workers available when the war first broke out. Very mechanically complicated processes.

If one looks at WWII factories... many workers were women.  I should probably say most by wars end.  Women who had never held a job before much less done anything like build an airplane.  As the war went along, more and more women entered the workforce to replace the men who either joined or were drafted into the military.  I had aunts who did this.  One joined the army and was Einstein's driver in Los Alamos whenever he was there.  The others worked in factories building things... aircraft, etc.   A pretty amazing thing and time when you think about it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

What was sad was that in all too many cases those women took those well paying jobs, (at the time) as a requirement because their husbands were away and they needed the income for their families. Some of those men never returned but the jobs went away rapidly for the women anyway after the war and even though they had proven that they were as skilled as any man in aircraft construction, all of the post war jobs went to the returning men, some whom had never driven a rivet in their lives. This was not a black and white 100% event but the numbers of women who were able to keep their jobs in the "man" trades diminished  to almost pre war levels in the late 40s and early 50s.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 hours ago, lmagna said:

What was sad was that in all too many cases those women took those well paying jobs, (at the time) as a requirement because their husbands were away and they needed the income for their families. Some of those men never returned but the jobs went away rapidly for the women anyway after the war and even though they had proven that they were as skilled as any man in aircraft construction, all of the post war jobs went to the returning men, some whom had never driven a rivet in their lives. This was not a black and white 100% event but the numbers of women who were able to keep their jobs in the "man" trades diminished  to almost pre war levels in the late 40s and early 50s.

Thanks for adding that, Lou.   Yes, seems like industry wanted to go back to the old ways.  Sad times for many of them after the war with no job and a husband or boyfriend who wasn't coming back.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

My father went into the army in early '42, my aunt Alice took a job with Pratt & Whitney in late '42 at their Bridgeport, CT. plant assembling aircraft engines.... she eventually moved to their Waterbury CT. plant in '44... She was trained to assemble aircraft engines.... R-2600's to start eventually R-2800's... 

She passed in 2006 at 82... but not before retiring in '95 as a senior engine line supervisor, (assembling turbines) Not all of them lost their jobs to returning servicemen, some were good enough to have long careers after the war....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Fascinating times.  My aunt was a WASP in WWII, and may have  flown these.  I definitely remember hearing that she flew Mustangs.  As a little kid, I was very intimidated by her.  She was as tough as nails.  

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:53 PM, Javlin said:

You know Guys just a little tidbit I have noticed from the newsreels of the times when you watch the factory workers clocking in they are not heavy set!The diet back then was so much better than today's methinks a small observation.;)

A lot of that skinniness was because the country was just coming out of the Great Depression. People couldn't afford food that made them fat. Soup lines and all of that. 

gotta also consider that there wasn't too much of the 'fast food' junk either.........home cooked meals from scratch and all that ;)   jee........think of all the chemicals and additives we eat every day?!?!? :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

I've not gave up on this, just not had the time or inclination to sit inside, too many distractions, I'll be back when the weather turns. 

Many thanks for watching 😉

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

• 2 months later...

Well summer seems to be over, rain a cold weather for the last few days, so in-between planking Winchelsea I have been doing little bits on this20211002_220430.thumb.jpg.6b54c0be2a7b952f91b6a8773d10a230.jpg

Gluing the hinge parts of the wings, 20211002_220336.thumb.jpg.5e5f6fc495e27774d85f592bc582c790.jpg

and making up the landing gear.

I will be getting back to the cockpit in the next couple of weeks. 

Thanks for popping by and the likes😉

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed: