Vought F4U-1A Corsair by Edwardkenway - FINISHED - Revell - 1:32

I picked this up just before our second lockdown. 

Being a plane from the WW2 Pacific Campaign I couldn't resist.

I'm doing it straight out of the box, with no aftermarket. 20201216_103455.thumb.jpg.e7f24cfd77d4fc28be389e52e8f41890.jpg

So far I've only just began painting the parts that can be done whilst still on the sprues. 

I'll get some photos when I start gluing it together. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Im also here Edward  - wont be long before the rest of the clan turn up.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Now I know I said no aftermarket.... well, just been doing a bit of googling  and the Aries cockpit looks too good not to have😬😇😊 .

Welcome gentlemen, I imagine the popcorn is on its way, Enjoy!!

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I love the Corsair, and Baa Baa Blacksheep was one of my favorite shows as a kid (even wrote a letter of protest to NBC when they announced its cancellation -- received a glossy, Robert Conrad-autographed B&W print of the cast as a thank-you gift). The few available card models of the F4U aren't particularly detailed. I'm waiting for Halinski to publish one, then I will be all over it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Whistling Death was the nickname given this aircraft by Japanese Marines, It was based upon their experience and admiration for the job this AC could do in an air-ground delivery role... (trust me, they REALLY understood) In my opinion one of the five best aircraft in the world coming out of WWII....

I'm in....

Hey Chris, GPM does a reasonable Corsair..... (not quite Halinski, but very close)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm in too Edward, this is going to be a goodie :)  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks to everyone who clicked or commented. 

The aries cockpit was delivered today 🙂🙃20210514_204519.thumb.jpg.7ef31c2e8bd3eb3255b3c5b0bb5321a7.jpg

this will be my first foray into aftermarket add ons. It's also a first for PE as well. 

20210514_204640.thumb.jpg.b7914bb99b5fb23c6d0afdbd91f09dd6.jpg

I'll probably be a bit slow putting  this together, and there'll be a bit of alterations to the kit fuselage to get it to fit as can be seen on the box it is primarily for the Trumpeter kit of this plane 😬

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

You're very welcome Kevin, although I may struggle to match your standard of finish 🙂😉

Current builds;

Completed:

If it is your first with PE, a couple of suggestions, if I may (this is what I do):

- Cut the parts from the fret with a sharp blade on top of a very thin cardboard which is on top of a hard surface (a glass tile), keep a finger on the part to be cut, because often they fly away entering in a spacetime wormhole you did not suspect you had in your room.

- File the edge with a diamond file, do not try to cut away the residual fret attachment.

- If the part get deformed, try to flatten it by rolling a round rod (the aluminium handle of a cutter knife) on top of a glass surface.

- Sand slightly with a very fine sand paper the surfaces to be glued.

- If you need to fold a part, do it on a glass surface, pressing a blade along the folding line and lifting the part to be folded with another blade. Doing this under a magnifier lens helps a lot.

- A good sharp pointed tweezers will help a lot to handle and position the parts.

- Do not rush, as soon you get tired or bored, stop the work and come back to it later!

Good luck,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thanks Dan, I  shall be putting your method and suggestions in action later 😉

Current builds;

Completed:

AH At last someone is getting around to the  Ensign Eliminating Bent Wing Bird. That after market cockpit looks awesome! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, Danstream said:

they fly away entering in a spacetime wormhole you did not suspect you had in your room

My el cheapo tweezers have a bad habit of initiating that phenomenon.  🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

11 minutes ago, lmagna said:

AH At last someone is getting around to the  Ensign Eliminating Bent Wing Bird. That after market cockpit looks awesome! 

Thanks Lou,  welcome to the show, and I had to look the Ensign reference up, interesting reading!😉

Current builds;

Completed:

Yes, USN didn't appreciate the Corsair and dumped it on the USMC. The higher landing speed needed experienced flyers coming aboard USS Boat.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Think I already mentioned it  - my late farther used  to work on the British Navy version  on a land based  station, he used to say they were over powerd  due to that massive engine in such a light frame.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

he used to say they were over powerd

I don't think there were too many combat pilots that would have agreed with him. There is no such thing as over powered, too maneuverable, or too tough in combat. I don't think I have ever heard of an F4U being referred to as having a light frame.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Today I entered the realm of PE and I'm so glad its at 1:32 as even at this scale it's tiny!

The seat belt is trying me🤯 but of the dozen or so parts fitted only one has took flight, ok its jumped out the tweezers 3 times, found twice, but last reported somewhere among the other MIA bits and bobs😠😤😫.

So things have been put away and a full scale search and rescue is on the cards.

Photos and more progress in the next update. 

Thanks to all for bearing with me😉

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Is it an air-sea search/rescue, or land only?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Land only, but the mountain rescue will probably have to be involved due to the nature of the terrain 😉

Current builds;

Completed:

You need a good sniffer dog  to find them....

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I don't think there were too many combat pilots that would have agreed with him. There is no such thing as over powered, too maneuverable, or too tough in combat. I don't think I have ever heard of an F4U being referred to as having a light frame.

I think he may have been referring to their ground handling  - I'm sure he told me some of the Erk's had to hang of the rear tail  to keep the nose because of the more powerful engine  - he did tell me about some of the mods to UK FAA  versions  like the clipped wing  (by Eight Inches each side)  for carrier hanger clearance when folded, also something about  them bouncing  on the deck when landing  - needing the shocks to be softened  - and the seat being lifted up  for better view through the Bubble canopy  Brit versions had.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I can see how far behind I am in this forum!..........sweet project I see here  ;)   pulling up a seat too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all, after four days the search has been called off, the bench was cleared, everything from the vicinity was shook or tapped over dark blue towel, I even tried the women's tights on the vacuum,  all to no avail😔. Hopefully I may be able to mock something similar up from some thin copper wire flattened ( the piece in question was an 'L' shaped buckle type thing for the seat belt), once the cockpit is all together it'd be hard to see anyway. 

20210516_220752.thumb.jpg.0e2bd480268c12e90b0d8418dca680a6.jpg

just a couple of photos. 

It's going slowly, but steady🥵 I just have to remember to breathe😉20210516_220728.thumb.jpg.63a0b30d08b9ca015bb388bc9888f5b6.jpg

I appreciate you all calling by and the likes.

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed: