I need my tubes cut

Brunelrussell here, still slaving away on the Great Eastern.  I have three aluminum tubes for the aft funnels that need to be cut in half longitudinally (lengthwise, in other words).  If anybody out there has the equipment to do this for me I would be plumb grateful and reimburse you for your trouble.  Thanx!

If you have a small table saw that will take a slotting saw blade it is fairly easy to make a fixture to hold the tube while you run it through the saw. A block of wood bored to the o.d. of the tube and the length of the tube. The make two tapered plugs bored to take a piece of suitable all thread. Slide the tube into the block, insert a plug in each end and draw up the bolt. That will hold the tube while you run it through the saw. Remove the plugs, slide the tube out and rotate it 180 degrees. Put it back in the block, insert the plugs and draw the up tight. That will expand the tube against the block. Run it through the saw again, remove the plugs and the two halves will fall out.

I am not certain what diameter your tubing is, but I am fairly certain that you can go to the hardware store and pick up either a U or a V shaped piece of molding. Lay the tubing in the "Cradle" and use an older knife blade or craft knife to make repeated slices or scrapes along the straight edge of the guide until you get all of the way through. It may take a little while but like you said it is a one time thing.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread shouldn't be eliminated. It should be preserved for posterity. It proves that determination and thought will provide the solution of most any daunting modeling challenge. As they say, "It shows you're thinking!" All to often, someone posts a question, gets the answer, and then argues about why it can't be done that way. :D