Hello from South Philly

Hi everyone,

Just started model building last year in attempt to stay sane while working from home. It's worked (for the most part). :)

I have completed the Grand Banks Dory from Model Shipways, got about 65% through the Model Shipways Longboat (1:48 scale) until quitting b/c too small for me to get decent results. Finished the 1:24 Model Shipways longboat and I am now close to finishing the Vanguard Fifie (everything except the sails are completed).

REALLY enjoyed building the Fifie but now looking for a new vessel to order and not really sure which way to go. I have a question about the natural learning progression. I would like to get better at rigging but not sure which vessels are a bridge too far after only completing simpler rigging on Fifie. I'm decent with the planking but that also needs some work.

Was looking at the Master Korabel Schooner Polotsk, Vanguard HMS Flirt, or the Amati HMS Granado. Interested if anyone has thoughts about which would be the "easiest" rigging for next step in learning (keeping in mind the quality of the instruction booklet)? Any recommendations for kits other than those three would also be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for the site and all the awesome build logs and other information!

Welcome to MSW, Nehemiah.  To answer your question, the basic rule of thumb for learning rigging is a) Use our logs as resource as many builders go into detail on the rigging.  The bigger rule of thumb is start with no mast, then 1 mast, then 2 two before tackling 3 masts.   Each one will build on the previous.   As you build, you will get better in all areas.   So, relax, have some fun building.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello nehemiah, and a warm welcome from the UK.

Glad to have you aboard. Mark has given good advice, and it applies to all the steps you will face when building: no matter what you come up against, someone has done it before, maybe they posted it in a build log 😇 with a few tricks to help the next builder.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Nehemiah, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing a build log from you in the near future. 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome, nehemiah.

Those are all good kits you mentioned. Polotsk will have the simplest rig of the three, being a topsail schooner rather than brig-rigged. Granado and Flirt are both Chris Watton designs, and Flirt is much newer, so that kit will include all of Chris's latest design innovations. But you can't overlook personal preference, i.e. which ship do you best like the looks of? Liking your kit selection goes a long way toward build motivation.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome aboard,

I am currently building the Caldercraft Granado after completing the simple yet fun, single masted 1/25 Bounty Longboat by Artesania Latina.  I wonder if the Caldercraft Granado is the same design by Chris Watton as used by Amati?!?  Regardless, I am knee deep in the Granado build, and the water is expected to rise quickly during the remainder of the build, particularly when the rigging needs to  be "tackled" (ouch).  The build logs and help of our fellow shipwrights helps tremendously, as they are often providing aid and keeping me from floundering and abandoning ship.  You can take a look at my progression as a total newbie, I have some pictures of the longboat and a build log for the Granado if it helps get some relative idea of comparative difficulty.  Best of luck, and welcome to MSW.

Brian (Roanoke Island, NC)

Nehemiah,

Welcome to MSW.  Might I offer that you consider visiting and potentially joining the Philadelphia Ship Model Society.  Currently we are meeting virtually via zoom.   We'd enjoy the opportunity to connect with you, offer assistance if you have any questions, and having you show off your accomplishments.   We're also hosting a ModelCon at the Battleship NJ on 8/7 and we are welcoming models complete or in process.   Details are at philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com.   Best of luck on your builds!

Joshua 

Welcome to Model Ship World Nehemiah.  It looks like you have a good start in this hobby with your completed builds.  Azzoun offered good advice about the Philadelphia Ship Model Society.  I have learned a lot from the members of my ship model club and they are always willing to help me.  I do hope you start a build log on whatever model you decide to build.  

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Just ordered the schooner Polotsk. I'll start a build log when I get going.

I'll check on the Philly Ship Modeling Club too. I love the Independence Seaport Museum and spent about 25 minutes watching someone work on a ship model last time I was there.

3 hours ago, nehemiah said:

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Just ordered the schooner Polotsk. I'll start a build log when I get going.

I'll check on the Philly Ship Modeling Club too. I love the Independence Seaport Museum and spent about 25 minutes watching someone work on a ship model last time I was there.

PSMS runs that exhibit  :)

Welcome!  Being from Norristown, now living in Massachusetts, please value your ability to get a good cheesesteak hoagie and Italian pizza.  Philly has the best anywhere and I really miss it.

My advice is to build something with one mast square rigged, then two....checkout Model Expo Armed Virginia Sloop....if you can swing it get the practicum from Robert E Hunt for the Armed Virginia Sloop, does a good job of leading the student through the rigging.

Please feel free to contact me if you need a hand.

Welcome aboard from a former Philadelphian (NE) now in lower slower Delaware. Keep the faith it does get easier the longer you stay with it.

Go Eagles

Al

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me