Rather than corrupt Chucks Winchelsia folder I am adding a new one for photos of ships crew members. I commissioned the ones below several years ago and am in contact with the artist to see if he would be open to creating a bunch for us. He casts them then hand paints them. I have a couple of them on each of my models and I believe they enhance the appearance, especially for non-modelers. Keep in mind these are 1:48 scale and extremely hi-resolution photos. Actual figures are only 1.5" or so. I encourage others to post photos of high quality crew members here as well.

figure6.thumb.jpg.7daa078b835bd81435c4c8347a7c97b9.jpgfigure1.thumb.jpg.8cc65132f41fd1c5016d4cd564daa651.jpgfigure2.thumb.jpg.f031257c3cb833a756ea93afc56ac39d.jpgfigure3.thumb.jpg.2b945d4a99262beadde880e97a44c1b4.jpgfigure4.thumb.jpg.2a46b8e3ccf7e098abba9baaf1e09a58.jpgfigure5.thumb.jpg.e3a5cf2d2f1327ba371161ac72354d86.jpg

figure1.thumb.jpg.8cc65132f41fd1c5016d4cd564daa651.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Very close in scale to my Waterloo figures  at 28mm.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I was never a fan of using these, but if they are as well made as you show Greg, I have changed my mind.  The best small military figures I have ever seen in person were made by Ed Tosti (Naiad and Young America books and builds).  If I recall correctly, when I saw them in his display at home, he told me this was his passion before ship modeling took over.        

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Happy to see this post. I have been looking for 1/64 scale figures for my Amapá. I found some railroad figures at Michael's and I intend to convert them to Brazilian Navy seamen for my gunboat. Good to see another potential supplier of scale figures. I need one officer, a helmsman and maybe 2 seamen for the gun. I will follow this post.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Ras, 

This topic has not had an entry in four months so may not get fast or many responses.  You might want to consider PMing Greg, who started this topic, for contact information.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan. I will look for PMing Greg.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

A source of STLs for 3d printing which might be of use are here: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-cannon-crew-for-model-ships-1750-1820-165771

plus some other items he has for medieval and Anglo Dutch period sailors, and some ordnance items.

Not sure what his future plans are, but he is quite responsive to reasonable requests if they make sense and fit in with his interests

I like to add a couple of crew figures to any model for two reasons - to give a sense of the scale, and to humanize it so that it is not just a machine. 

In 1/64 scale we appear to be limited to Captain Amati and his crew. Andrew in #5 above gives his captain more detail in the eyes than I have managed with mine. Amati are nicely cast but pricey, and the metal is hard to file so that parts of the figure which require an undercut take a lot of work. The captain's telescope is one example where a fillet of metal has to be removed. I drill a hole into one foot of the figure and glue in a wire so there is something to hold while painting. 

260146408_figuresfront.thumb.JPG.7eef84a01bf6523cd0b489533ad9e79b.JPG

There is more choice in 1/72 scale and at reasonable prices. HaT make a set of sailors and marines in plastic, and Newline Designs make white metal figures that have realistic proportions. A lot of the wargames figures follow a convention of big hands and big heads so check them before you buy. https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product-category/newline-designs-20mm-ranges/newline-designs-20mm-ranges-napoleonics/newline-designs-20mm-ranges-napoleonics-naval/

I do not know about other scales such as 1/48. 

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

• 2 months later...

Hello!

Finishing my Le Coureur i decided to give a chance of having a scale "sensor".

So i gave a shot on some WWII 1:48 plastic kits i had. So i converted Soviet ground personel into XVIII's Century french sailors and officers.

Here are some pictures.

1415443237_WhatsAppImage2020-08-27at20_46.29(3).thumb.jpeg.e6e3efab8f152ccda28f37a7d04628ea.jpeg

1053508308_WhatsAppImage2020-09-03at21_57.12(1).thumb.jpeg.c2ea80497abafb642d5910f7e383726c.jpeg

2126466340_WhatsAppImage2020-09-10at07_00.42(2).jpeg.337bcf09b2e7395386d434492e5755db.jpeg

946746528_WhatsAppImage2020-09-11at20_46.40(1).thumb.jpeg.0e7e9857663861a418e84c8aa339bbc9.jpeg

Maybe with some better painting skills the resaults are better.

Greetings.

Giorgio.

• 1 month later...

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks Toni. I may order one to help me with a sense of scale.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

3 hours ago, tlevine said:

Any possibility of the NRG offering those figures as 1:64 scale?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Richard.  I just "spot" looked and didn't see any.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Model Railroad “S” scale is 1/64.  The old American Flyer electric trains were S scale and still have a devoted following.  Check specialty model railroad suppliers.

Incidentally, Marx 'scale tinplate' has S gauge bodies on O gauge trucks.  This is why some S scale train operators drill out the trucks of Marx rolling stock and replace them with S scale trucks.  Great idea for figures, and I found a hobby store with 'old' stock figures in several sizes ... such stores are still 'here and there' but growing fewer as the years pass.  'Just viewed 'Master and Commander' again on cable streaming ... good to see once in a while.  Now there was a flogging in the film (not uncommon in the British Navy back in the day), and I wonder if anyone put figures on a sailing ship model representing such a punishment witnessed by the crew (standard procedure).

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65