I spent a fun couple of days building Syren Ship Model Company's Winchelsea capstan. Having preciously built one for my Swan class model many years ago which took me a couple of weeks to do on the mill and lathe I was curious to see how Chuck's version compared. As expected it is amazingly good. Chuck has mastered the laser cutter and has figured out how to incorporate every detail of the real version, including the rings which are made of fiberboard and include all the perfectly spaced holes. My build sequence was slightly different as I wanted to paint mine red. If this wish to do this I suggest you use Tamiya tape to mask the "iron" bands between the capstans before painting. As well I found that placing the capstan drum assemblies in a slow speed rotary tool and turning for a couple of seconds on 320 grit sandpaper completely removed the char. Attached are a couple of photos. I need to de-dust the capstan and apply a coat of flat varnish but that's it. It'll end up in one of my cross-section cases.

Even if you've never scratch built a fitting I'd recommend you give this a try. It's almost fail-proof and priced very reasonably for the quality of the wood and laser cutting.

capstan4.thumb.jpg.62696dd7a36ac7c7e2fd7dfccc04b93a.jpgcapstan5.thumb.jpg.0276d1c1be5e23a162490dd75948cdb6.jpg

capstan6.thumb.jpg.321734029d97fb2ba1bf0ec971b06898.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Well I could have fabricated a foot powered lathe like they had in the 18th century but it seemed like a lot of work for ten seconds of power. Besides, isn't the "laser" the ultimate power tool?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I have a confession....I did exactly the same thing (only using *very* fine paper) and again when applying the W.O.P. It left a really nice burnished sheen

if that can be a description. Now seeing yours and Chuck's in red, I think I will have to make another or paint over that finish. Beautiful capstan Greg! I'm assuming we'll be making the bars to go with it...

Ron 

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Looks fantastic greg.  Really well done. 

Greg’s was one of six capstan kits I made in all boxwood.  I would certainly not recommend that rotary tool for the cedar.  It would take too much off and make the size too small.  You would need to be very very careful and use a light touch.  

It really does build i to a nice little

model.  The trick is to go slow and take your time.