HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Thank you Martin,

for your appreciation,

the choise fell on this boat because it Looks a bit more elegant than the more or less working boats  (bringing out the anchor, etc...) . For a longboat the space in the Swan Class waist was not Long enough, and a cutter would have had too much beam. The captains gig now has widest beam at appr. 36% of its length.

The 18 th century square-riggers, mother ships, mostly were resembling what was called the "cod`s head and makerel tail" lines and I wanted the ships boat to present These lines as well, as the boats were in general near copies of their mother ships, regarding to hull-lines.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

update on captain`s gig for HMS Pegasus (scale 1:64)

The first clinker-Planks on port side are on.....

Nils

post-3445-0-11447000-1418232099_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-60508400-1418232102_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25855600-1418232105_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50691800-1418232107_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-09590700-1418232110_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-39277800-1418232112_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-67159900-1418232114_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-65439400-1418232117_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-72998800-1418232119_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73196200-1418232121_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hello Nils, thanks for looking at my dinghy.  I'm close to finishing version 2.0 now because the first one did not satisfy me.

QUOTE:

Piet,

yes Piet I noticed your lovely Dinghi build activities in November this year already, knowing it is / was an ambitious Task, but it turned out very good looking, and the scale is even smaller. Does it fit into the appropriate Subs boat- hold ?

Answer:

Yes, the little dinghy fits in it's housing below the work deck.  Version 1.0 is temporarily hanging on its lifting boom, waiting for version 2.0 to be finished.

Your little boat is progressing quite nicely.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet,

do you have some pics of your version 2 Dinghi in progress ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update......

the clinker planking is with 0,5 x 4,3 strips of nutwood

7 Planks per side between keel and sheer. I`ll fit one more plank later, each side above the sheerline

due to leaving the rather sharp edged clinker contours, there is hardly no sanding afterwards possible, roughnesses can be trimmed with a flat key-file if necessary

Nils

post-3445-0-24780700-1418308189_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32226100-1418308192_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-10932800-1418308195_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80677900-1418308197_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93257000-1418308199_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-01235800-1418308202_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Bob,

I was much inspired by your beautiful boat for the "Essex", and after postponing a boats build for the "Pegasus" several times, that gave the Initial go for myself to do so at last. I know B.E. also built a beautiful longboat in POF mode, that I also had in mind, but I thought a 18 th century captain`s gig in clinker build was also not bad, and not presented at NMSW yet, and I just want to see if I can do it..... About half the planking is on now so that the other half will be repeatable work.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

It's a fine lapstrake job, we all knew you could do it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you Bob,

I saw this lapstrake method in a wooden boatbuilding book many years ago and hoped that someday I could make use of it.

I think for building a cutter like "Alert", or "Cheerful", or Sherbourne" in a larger scale with clinker planking, that would be a nice exercise to do

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

To me clinker planking a hull is like magic or a work of art.  I have never been patient enough to get it right just yet.

Someday I will do it.

David B.

Update on the boat.....

of course I was too impatient to see if all had worked out as I thought it would.

When taking the small (upside down planked) boat-hull from the block I ripped off some of the upper parts of several frames. But thats not too much trouble because the middle sections of the frames will be removed anyhow....

post-3445-0-58570300-1418483112_thumb.jpg

thats how it looks after removing from the building base

post-3445-0-18787400-1418483107_thumb.jpg

some of the broken upper frame portions

post-3445-0-58605700-1418483110_thumb.jpg

planking so far acceptable, will need some touch up work

post-3445-0-91939100-1418483118_thumb.jpg

thats the rough hull, without trimming, bow post and keel are on. I was surprised how light the hull is, it feels in hand like the half-shell of a cracked giant walnut

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils -- That's a little gem you've built.  I like your description of it weighing no more than the shell of a walnut -- that just emphasizes how delicate it is.

Bravo! it's an inspiration!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Nils, you have done a beautiful job simulating the geralds at the stem. The flow from clinker to the smooth lay of the geralds as the clinker transitions into the stem and transom is nearly as difficult a part to simulate at that size as the correct overlapping of the clinkered part of the plank. At least I would assume so....

Beautiful work, and fast also. Your work only makes me want to tackle a clinker build vessel all the more.

Edited by themadchemist

Hi Nils, what a beautiful job of the clinker planking. I also have always admired the lines of clinker built hulls, the lines emphasize the shape of the hull so nicely. I like your analogy of the walnut shell also and you model is not much larger either.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Relooking at your work, (I love relooking at good work and thinking my way through your process) I'm now beginning to question how you achieved that correct look.

Did you bevel or “brow” the Lands (lap) and were gerald's cut adjacent to stem or was this achieved with beveling alone or just sanding them back even?

Your plank widths, wide mid-ship and narrowing at the stem and transom, with narrowing happening at maximum curvature points makes your little walnut shell quite real looking, to the form in which I understand them to be build. I wondered if one could make a razor blade scrapper to scrap in the geralds and was just wondering how you achieved your excellent realistic results.

I also just realized that the stem and keel were not fit until after removal from the jig. Was fitting the keel/stem more difficult post planking or did it aid in creating the rabbet line

What a lovely ship's boat.  Sweet lines and planking. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Martin,

many thanks, I`m glad you like it

Omega,

thanks for your appreciation and also a merry Christmas to you

Michael,

thanks for your words , I also like the clinker build for those reasons. I would have liked to build a real wooden Dinghi for sailing and rowing, but then had a GRP hull daysailer instead for many years

Mark,

thank you very much, the Little Shell turned out to be 4 mm longer than planed, but luckily it still fits in at the foreseen place at the "Pegasus" waist area

Keith

I see with a smiile you realy have looked at the details......

the build-stem and transom surfaces are flat without any rabbet grooves, the planks are rather thin and do not allow much sanding after Fitting. The plank Ends are cut (beveled to the end sections, appr, 15 - 17 mm), the plank widths are tapered with a scalpel from mid length to both Ends with aid of a metal ruler.

The "rabett" at the stem is simulated by means of post adding a seperate stempost (also keel) after the planking is done. This can also be seen done a number larger, in the same technique for my "HMS Pegasus"  post # 23, build log part 12.

For the Long overlappings in remaining plank length there was no beveling done for the landings. Glueing was per CA application with toothpick at landings , stem and transom.

For the Illustration of the plank endings here is a Little Hand scetch

NIls

post-3445-0-23715400-1418555102_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Nigel,

agree with the "something satisfying"... remark on small ships, I think its probably that one Comes to results faster, turning in Hand, looking at different angles, and relativly quick adjustments possible.

I just looked back to your RC`s Launch, beautiful Little boat in slightly different technique, but also Overhead planking. Was that from a kit in 1:48 or so ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Nils :) I used the kit supplied bulkheads and built them into a solid mould.This was discarded after assembly,the boat is basically all scratch out of boxwood.I agree,it is surprising how strong the finished article is,especially as it weighs next to nothing.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you for the hand drawn illustration Nils.

I figured it was accomplished with beveling of some kind. If it was just sanded flush one would tend to sand through the overlaying plank and show the space (gap) beneath. Especially on such thin stock. 

The geralds, to my understanding are to get the planks to overlay and interlock with the opposing gerald or rabbet of the underlying and overlying planks. Building such a small feature at that scale would be near impossible but your technique simulates it very nicely. The plank narrowing adds much further detail.

I've watched the videos of the clinker build dinghy by Traditional Maritime Skills on youtube many times and it is a project that I very much would like to attempt, maybe even at a much larger scale, even possibly to 1:8. It may be best to start with a smaller scale for practice though. After finishing my first longboat, I still wish to continue with another, as I find them a very relaxing project and not near as easy as one might expect it to be, which is part of my intrigue.

One of my recent studies has been the building of a clinker vessel and I always appreciate those that build them and show details which help me in understanding the best way to simulate the smaller details in such small scale.
Thank you for your expertise, it is appreciated.

Update on captain`s gig.....

there is still quite a lot to do on this little boat, but its realy fun all the way

post-3445-0-79206800-1418757676_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32983200-1418757672_thumb.jpg

added a black liner at the sheer

post-3445-0-44500000-1418757674_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-23822100-1418757679_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50356800-1418757681_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12941100-1418757684_thumb.jpg

here the floor grating and linings covering the connection links and the grating contours

These grating start breaking away, the moment one starts cutting slots etc.....

post-3445-0-64034800-1418757690_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-06642300-1418757693_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49354000-1418757695_thumb.jpg

aft section sitting area and pillar support beneath the bench, plank floor here

Nils

post-3445-0-77220400-1418757687_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils. Your gig is truly inspirational. What a marvellous build in its own right! She's truly deserving of being displayed as a model on its own, with its own stand and display case. I do, however, know that's not going to be the case because she belongs on Pegasus.

You sir, are a true craftsman.

Well done.

Edited by Omega1234

Beautifully done Nils, she'll look great on your Pegasus.

Love the added black strip on the sides, nice touch.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

sweet looking ship's boat Nils.....like the way you did the grating  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Juergen,

there were times when I got frustrated (breaking Frame parts when removing from the build plate, or breaking out structures from the gratings), but all is mended now

Keith,

thank you, I still had two Little sets of grating parts I could use here, but not enough to replace gratings where some Little bits had broken away

Thank you Omega,

It could have been a wee bit shorter in planing, because the model mostly gets a bit longer than planed (but it still fits in)

Thanks Popeye,

the gratings build 30 x 30 mm in raw condition, so There had to be three single plates, and there is a slight horizontal curvature in the grating floor

I`m not sure if there should be four or six oarmen to find their stagered seat Arrangement (one man per seat) and if I should arrange for small mast-foot Settings, and rigging Points, in case the gig should be sailed. In the literature I fould remarks that the gig was exceptional rowed and other comments that they were prepared for saiing as well

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils

It is a masterpiece. While I admire others in this forum for their extremely clean and almost clinically precise builds I also like that just slightly handcrafted look your work still has. It’s beautiful, individual and charming, for me it looks almost more authentically and is a true work of art.

Oh, and please have mercy with those poor sailors and allow them to sail the gig if the wind is favorable – rowing is hard work!

Cheers

Peter