HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your words...

I´ll follow your suggestion to allow sailing as well......, but without rigging masts and sails. Trust that will be a good compromize

here is a rough illustrated thought i have for rowing mode : capt. at the tiller, six men at the oars, two mastfoot positions with additional support attached to seat 2 + 6

ref. to hand scetch

the sailing mode : two masted, without stays (masts just stuck in place), sails acc. a little bit to the rigging of a naval marine cutter for rowing and sailing, but without triangle-foresail

Due to the long keel I think that a swivel-centerboard can be avoided

post-3445-0-85751800-1418820861_thumb.jpg

arrangement with 6 seats for rowing, (one sailor per seat, long oars)

post-3445-0-38691000-1418820841_thumb.jpg

this is a lovely cutter rigging ( borrowed from the web), although its heritage, it may perhaps be too modern ?

post-3445-0-82853900-1418820865_thumb.jpg

this could be the arrangement for rowing / sailing my jig...

Peter, please feel free to let me know your opinion

Cheers 

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update on Captain`s gig....

mast holding fittings and bow clues and and some small parts still missing, but at this stage it looks like what I had in mind

post-3445-0-31526100-1419006375_thumb.jpg

gig fits in on the gallows

post-3445-0-62683900-1419006378_thumb.jpg

the captain saw that the rudder still requires seaworthy varnish

post-3445-0-31593300-1419006381_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-94001800-1419006383_thumb.jpg

staggered oar-hold port / stb for rowing with long oars, 1 man per seat

post-3445-0-45451300-1419006386_thumb.jpg

two crew members are eager to get her into the harbour basin for trials

post-3445-0-85668700-1419006388_thumb.jpg

the tiller can be slipped in also with the curve upwards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you very much Keith and Bob,

I`m glad you like the Little boat

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wow the figures really do put this little boat into perspective. Very nicely done Nils.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael,

I`m just thinking about how to make the oars for stowing them on the boat (Need 6 of them )

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

I like your boat, it looks great. However, you might want to think about the diposition of the crew. You have drawn them 'single' banked (one per thwart or seat), rather than 'double' banked (two per thwart), which is fine for the captain's gig – but I doubt they would have sat in the centre of the thwart.

I remember from my sea scout days, where we had a large pulling and sailing gig, that the crew sat on alternate sides, the oars (about 12' long) being over the opposite side of the thwart. Thus the bow oar, no. 3 and no. 5 (or 'stroke', the one nearest the coxswain or helmsman, and from whom the others take their timing) sit on the port side and their oars are out to starboard. Nos. 2 and 4 sat on the starboard side, with their oars out to port. I seem to remember we only used five oarsmen, rather than six, which would mean keeping this system might be problematic! Normally the bow oar was stowed with the blade facing forward and it was also a little shorter, due to the curve of the bow. I think it was also stowed down the centre of the boat, for ease in getting it out.

Incidentally, I had a look in my (1972) Admiralty ManuaI of Seamanship and they have the same disposition for an RN montague whaler, which your drawing somewhat resembles, although the after mast is rather smaller.  I hope this helps, rather than confuses! :huh:

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Thank you very much Kester,

thats a very nice and informative Input, especially because you experienced pulling on a gig yourself.

Now that the mast supports are fixed to thwart #2 and #6  the Crew oarsmen will be forced to sit on the opposite side to where the oars stick out, so that will be in compliance to your comment, thanks again....

Nils

post-3445-0-79523900-1419080303_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Your proposed sailing equipment for your boat looks good to me. In ‘Anatomy of the ship Pandora’ I found the following picture of a 28-foot pinnacle which confirms your disposition. Pandora was built in 1779 and I use her occasionally as reference for Pegasus.

post-504-0-08285000-1419080528_thumb.jpg

If you allow a small critical comment: I think the rudder looks a bit to heavy compared to the graceful rest of the boat. But perhaps it’s only a question of the perspective.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by flyer

Nils,

Yes, that should work. It means, of course, that the thole pins or rowlocks will have to be moved forward on the starboard side.

Kester

thanks Peter,

thats a very nice drawing (Pandora related pinnacle), thanks for sharing, I`m sure the one or other fellow builder may have interest in for building this boat type...

For my build I also had the Feeling that the rudder could have been a tiny bit lighter, but I must admit, that the Patience to do it over again was not strong enough, so decision.... leave as is....

If I should hapen to do a small craft in this style again, all this would certainly be dealt with accordingly

Cheers

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Yes, that should work. It means, of course, that the thole pins or rowlocks will have to be moved forward on the starboard side.

Thanks Kester,

the first rowlock on stb-side was moved a bit forward, tust all is OK now.  The place for the boat is limited on the Pegasus, perhaps I should have chosen a dinghi or so, but I liked the shape of the gig....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Yes, I rather meant the forward one. Everything should be then be fine.

Regarding the space on board you could always remove the rudder and tiller from the gig, and stow in in the sternsheets which was often the practice.

Kester

Thank you Peter,

its good to have comments from fellow builders.....

Peter once its been said and that in line with my own feeling I could`nt resist to trimm the rudder....,  took some bulkyness from the rudder-head and from the bottom bow (underwater part), am pleased now. Need to start with the oars now

post-3445-0-19142500-1419089849_thumb.jpg

Kester,

thanks again for your kind advice on the rowing and seat arrangement, am realy pleased with the result now.

Yes I think I`ll take the rudder off when placinig the boat  on the ship, but have to complete rigging and sails first

Have just added the forward and aft hooking-in eyelets

post-3445-0-12753800-1419089855_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great work, Nils.  And the discussions on the arrangement of the crew, oarlocks, and rudder are all informative and useful -- not only for us fellow Pegasus/Fly builders, but I think for anyone getting ready to build the boats.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Boat looks fantastic, Nils. Seems you are continuing the trend of getting some super detailing on these small beauties. Well done.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Martin and Jason,

thank you for looking in and for the appreciations,

yes Martin, there are quite a lot of small boats om MSW, so one can study quite a lot before doing an own small build

I think its only been an intermediate episode Jason, seeing the empty space on my Swan Class and the inspiration to build a ships boat through B.E. and Bob (Rafine), and many others....)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 70

the little gig is now complete, first prototype for the oars is made

post-3445-0-01419100-1419169322_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-53861600-1419169327_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73531900-1419168550_thumb.jpg

oar length appr. 2,3 the max beam width

post-3445-0-86022200-1419168555_thumb.jpg

oar shaft diam. 2mm, made from bamboo, could be a bit less but risk of breaking under rounding the shaft

post-3445-0-24377500-1419168560_thumb.jpg

fits in for the "HMS Pegasus" space on the gallows (in actual it would be a 28 ft gig).

I`ll better have to take off the rudder (hook it out)

post-3445-0-19161300-1419168564_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-05760700-1419168567_thumb.jpg

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What a beautiful little boat, and the shape of the oar is exquisite.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you Bob,

I still have enough of those Bamboo rods (for supporting flowers) of which I do the oars from. Very high tension resistant material and easy to chip and cut and sand

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

an anchoring device for securing boat to the strand....

the little dreggen anchor from the Amati photo etch sheet is really too small, so I soldered my own one from brass, 16 mm long and appr. 15mm diam. over the four pikes

post-3445-0-76613700-1419264448_thumb.jpg

the midget anchor was considered too small (bottom left

post-3445-0-61346900-1419264451_thumb.jpg

boat has fallen dry at Cornwalls Atlantic coast

post-3445-0-10041400-1419264456_thumb.jpg

anchor hooked over the sheer capping

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Martin,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

set of oars is complete, trial pulling in the Harbor basin can now be done

wishing a happy and relaxing Christmas time to all fellow builders, and NMSW Administration staff, and with best regards

Nils

post-3445-0-78497800-1419336896_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93917300-1419348580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Martin,

Thank you,

I have so far very good experience with cutting bamboo into shape. The Major Advantage is that when it splits (wanted direction) it splits in a straight line. For shaping I use a table combi-grinder, my Drilling machine and a scalpel and some fine files, and sanding paper

A happy Christmas time also to you

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great work Nils and fabulous attention to detail with the different oar lengths B)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family

Nigel

Thank you Nigel,

I saw on the web, related to oar-lengths that there is a factor in relation to the boats beam at that place, That makes sense, especialy when the oarsman sits opposite to the rowlock.

Also many thanks for the kind greetings, which I return with many regards

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed