HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Ok Nils and Pete.  Now, here's what you're going to do.  

NILS - You are hereby ordered to finish your Pegasus as well as your cutter.  Once finished, you will then fit the RC gear and put the cutter in the water and post lots of photos of her underway for us to enjoy.

PETE - you are hereby ordered to create a build-log for your cutter as well.  Immediately, would be preferable.  I especially want to know how you built that canoe stern, because it's a beauty!

Okay, you know I'm jesting.  Seriously Nils and Pete.  Well done and I'm constantly amazed at the talent and skills on this Forum!

Thanks and all the best.

Nils -- It's taken me a while to catch up:  whew! there's lots going on here.  Bravo on little Nina!!!  And your build, as always, shows some impressive progress with more and more details.  Your crowsfeet look expertly done (your eyes must be sharper than my own).  And your workroom is a testament to the breath of your experience -- and to your tidiness. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

thanks Bob,

of course I could`nt  wait to get the Pilot Cutter ready for sail, but she was launched (RC controlled with and by Motor power) already some years ago. I was very pleased with the Performance so far..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Martin,

mny thanks for your very Kind words, and also for my work room. It is in the cellar of our house, I have  a carpet floor, a warm water heating for the winter and my own sanitary room connected to it. I wish I had such a room at entrance level with view into the garden, I had that in our previous home North of Hamburg.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils

I finally had time again to read the posts on MSW. Your Pegasus is looking great and also your other models

Edited by jaerschen

Thank you for your words Juergen,

I`m happy that you like it.

I just had an Update look into your very fine looking HMS Leopard, thats a great build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

wow Nils.......those are some sweet pictures of your build..........and some even sweeter progress!  she's looking fabulous!  ;)    you work area is very nice....one of the best  'man caves' I've ever seen.   congratz on you  'grandpa'  status......it's really great!  {although it may make you feel old at times.....I have four}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

thank you very much, nice appreciative words of yours, since the Little one is there it realy gives me a happy Feeling as if I have wings, I became grandpa  with 66 and some of our freinds also are having already 5 grandchildren, I hope this lets Forget the own steady plus on years. Congrats to your four...

The rigging Progress on Pegasus provides much fun, and up to date fortunately most work sequences worked out right the first time. I am really proud of the full alignment of the Shrouds and backstays relating to the preplaced chainplates angles. Here I was a bit uncertain for some time, because if the alignment Fails it probably would have looked at me for ever after

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 62

a Little update....

Nils

post-3445-0-02760300-1411131698_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63081300-1411131702_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-84771000-1411131705_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-98117600-1411131708_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13672400-1411131713_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-30457900-1411131716_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you  very much David,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hey Crackers,

thats a very nice apprecial note, thank you very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils Congratulations on your grandchild, one of life's great moments.

Now regarding that cutter! I agree with Omega We need to see it finished.

Sneaky work on your cutter Pete, I would also like to see some pics of the stern construction.

Sorry Nils I just had to get those in.

Your work on your rigging looks great, just imagine how quickly you would get the rigging done on the cutter.... not more than a few hours I suspect.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful !  What more can be said.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Beautiful Work Nils, Uncompromised Craftsmanship absolutly incredible. Well done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

thanks for your congrats on the grandchild  Michael,

regarding to my "30 ft Pilot Cutter" model, the Problem I have is that it is so large, the hull alone is 1000 mm Long and provided it were finished it would take half a room side for Setting it up on a suitable cradle. At the time of build the very old RC still working unit I have (make : Robbe) with its two channel (servos)opperation, one channel for Motor Forward stop backward, the other channel would be used for a proportional operating Sheets to a sailwinch. Now I`ve been told that I would`nt be allowed to use that old device any more because of meanwhile  forfbidden frequency channels I had. Would have to invest in new Equipment.

Still I would be willing to complete that ship sometime in the future  because ist a pitty to leave it uncompleted on a shelf.

I also had scratch built, over 1 m Long models of the schooneryacht "America",Version 1864, and of the J-yacht "Endeavor", wich were so large that I had to give them away last year for place reasons. At least I intend to Keep the Pilot cutter because  the actual one once was my dreamboat.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Bob and Pete,

many sincere thanks for both of your appreciations, that "goes down like oil" we would say...., It provides much encouragement to me,

Also many thanks to all other fellow builders for their "likes"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Bob (Rafine), Kees, and Geoff,

thank you for your fine words regarding to the Status updates...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Martin,

I find the rigging takes much more attention than building the hull. Lucky mor me I have the time but for example it took me the whole afternoon to do the catharpins and the port side futtock shrouds at the main mast top today

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I find the rigging takes much more attention than building the hull.

Nils

I thoroughly agree.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

with these ships.......the hull is only half of the build.......the masting and rigging is the other half ;)   so there's something to look forward to Nils.........when your done,  you'll have a  "completely beautiful build!"  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Right, and one challenge with the rigging is that the more you add, the tighter the spaces you have to squeeze your fingers through.

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

thats right, and ist only the Standing rigging in the Moment, I`m working with pegs and tweezers, guess I know what I`ll be facing when the running rigging Comes on, let alone the sails....

here is a Little update on the status

Nils

Build log part 63

post-3445-0-43748300-1411499541_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-07521400-1411499547_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-16447000-1411499552_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-08087500-1411499556_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-84429000-1411499558_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-78337300-1411499562_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81564800-1411499565_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-64346200-1411499568_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80472000-1411499571_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-59348500-1411499575_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Omega,

thank you very much...

I just ran out of 3,5 mm deadeyes for continuing the upper shrouds, expecting These to arrive in this week

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I have please a question to thje comunity...

when bracing the Yard it will foul the leeward shroud already at minimal brace angles. In order to avoid this the truss pendant will have to be given appropriate looseness horizontaly, but this will move the Yard quite a bit away from the mast. Sling and jeers will hold the Yard securely in vertical Level, but I not sure if this is foreseen the same way on the actual ship.

Hopefully a fellow modeler with experience in braced Yards Position can kindly give me some advise on this.

Many thanks in advance

Nils

Here a Little Illustration of what I mean...

post-3445-0-34751800-1411558597_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12044400-1411558600_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-64520000-1411558602_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-22915900-1411558605_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed