HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Thank you Popeye,

there are many open Ends where the work can carry on now...

Nils

Michael,

thats what I often do, to bring my thoughts down to paper. It sometimes happens that just by looking it over a couple of times there Comes an idea for improvement, or an alternative solution, but I Need to look at the scetch, so the thought is not out of mind

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That's what my boss always said. "The changes should be made on paper before the drawings go to the shop."

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thats so right Bob,

when I was still active in mechanical Engineering and discussing some actual Detail with fellow engineers I swiftly made a handscetch and layed this on the table....

When I asked the younger "CAD fellows"  collegues how they would quickly present their thoughts for others to understand, they did`nt realy seem to know what I was talking about... (smile)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Stunning work, Nils (could I say stunning stun'sail?).  The bird decoration makes for a delightful touch.  Is that PE, or did you devise it yourself?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you Martin,

I had delightfuly received a spare PE Panel from Amati customer Service once because of broken and lost parts for the PE Quarter badge decors. So These Little birds were obsolete until now...., and the black spaces had to have something on it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Staus update.....

set up a jibsail stay together with jib spriboom traveler with integrated roller for jib downhaul, and sheave roller in the spritboom tip for inhaul / outhaul of the jibsail

drawn up a preliminary staysail ans spanker Arrangement into the Amati plan by means of editing the JPG pic with IFRAN view paint tool editor

Made the raw gaff- and Driver boom a nd the bead lock chain for the mast attachment

Nils

post-3445-0-58338000-1413110764_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00221500-1413110768_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-27031000-1413110770_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-39631600-1413110772_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-42083700-1413110774_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-64204500-1413110776_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63322600-1413110778_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Bob,

the staysails and their rigging arrangement and related belaying points are not referred to in the Amati plans, neigther the jibstay and the traveller, so I am taking advice from Lennarth Petersson`s book "Rigging Period Ship Models", which is a great help.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi B.E.

your apreciations / comments are always very welcome, many thanks,

trust I will have to produce a set of stay sails now, to get those installed and rigged, due to the necessary given spaces as Long as the Yards are not hindering Access and for before its the turn for the Yards, suare sails and fürther rigging

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Echo the above Nils. Fantastic work. But please promise not to add more detail to that sailor on the seat of ease :D.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair,

promise is given,......, That Little figure is predestinated for that Position I think...

Nils

Hello Omega,

very nice words of appreciation, thank you so much..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

really super job Nils........you have such an incredible way with those fittings {another kudos on the traveler} ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great work, Nils.  And I suppose it's good to have a photographic record of the seat of ease in use.  We can all consult your log to understand its purpose.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Popeye,

it saves me a block (for the downhauler), and is probably not historical quite correct, but I think it will look better for the eye

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Have just received the ordered 1 mm diam  line I`m going to use for the bolt ropes and am starting with trial sail sewing on my wife`s sewing machine.

to begin with I  trust the spanker sail  is the relatively easy one

Nils

post-3445-0-29224400-1413983983_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-01864100-1413983988_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-05988900-1413983990_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That's some fancy sewing, Nils.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

hello Bob and Keith,

its always a bit tricky to get the sail stitching done repeatable and in a hopefully neat condition. Unfortunately I do`nt have the patience to do this in hand-stitching mode, like for example member Maurino does his sails. (wish I could...)

I think the technique I use for machine-sewing on the bolt-rope works quite well, at least I used this for all "Gorch Fock" and for all "Pamir" sails. Due to the foreseen rigging bowlines for the "HMS Pegasus" sails I probably will not need to reinforce the bottom sail bolt-ropes of the square sails with steel wire to simulate a wind filled sail

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

wow, great work--- I sure am not in your league-- but will strive to be one day :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

wow, great work--- I sure am not in your league-- but will strive to be one day :)

Many of us agree with that.

Bob

I'm not a hand stitcher either Nils.......and I always try to hide the pleat lines with near colored thread.  but I really like the colors you've chosen.......very nice indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Many thanks Ian, Bob, Juergen, and Popeye,

for the sewing I`ll do a few more Trials, many ideas come when doing it and I`m not absolutely pleased with the momentary results so far. The sails will be exposed to the first sight of a Viewer later and I would lke them to satisfy my own Obligation.

In the Moment I need to concentrate on the heating of our house because the gas fired heater has just given up its prior much reliable lifetime, is 21 years old, and I find no more special spareparts, wether on the european market nor on the web, so I may be facing a complete new unit for installation . I`m lucky we have no frost yet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

ours gave up last year........near the end of winter....snow still on the ground.   we had an oil burner that the landlord had been nurse maiding........took the guys a day to get the new gas burner up and running.   I wish you  well in taking care of your situation ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Build log part 66

update for Sail making

guided by the sail Arrangement (overview) I made 1:1 drawings of every one of the 18 sails

The Rating is transfred to the starched Cotton Cloth and prepared for sewing with greyish Color thin Polyester sewing thread.

For the bolt rope I use 1mm diam. ( greyish color model ship rigging rope in Polyester)

Have just finished the first two sails, spanker and main top sail, but still have to attach cringles and  reefing strops. Gues the sail making shall take quite some time from now on to get all 18 sails completed

Found this on the web for duck-Standards on Britsh sail Cloth :

Sail making, Cloth sizes

Standards for British manufactured sailcloth were enacted in 1746.

In Addition to requiring British sail makers to mark each new sail with his Name and adress, the size of a bolt of sailcloth was standerdized at twenty-four inches wide. The seam was 1 - 1,5 " wide

In scale 1/64 this results to 9 mm sail Cloth-width

Nils

post-3445-0-28733700-1415123779_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-19667200-1415123783_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-37759300-1415123785_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-41544000-1415123787_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-66685100-1415123789_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-33151100-1415123792_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-69693500-1415123794_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-51286600-1415123797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That will be an interesting sail arrangement, Nils.  The color of cloth you've chosen also looks just about right.

I hope you got everything straightened out with your heater.  I had to replace the air-conditioning/heating system in my house last summer, just during the middle of July when Oklahoma temperatures reach their hottest.  It's good you caught yours before the real cold came on.

cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Keith,

thanks for looking in,

the bolt ropes are all machine-stitched, by laying an overlock zig-sag stitch over the centered boltrope underneath, and before Turning the outward 4 mm edge 180° inward, so that the bolt rope lays at the outer edge of the sail. I did several Trials for this technique, and it works well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed