HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Thanks Martin,

we had about 3 days in a cooled down house, had set up a Little electric fan heater in the bathroom to overcome.

Since last saturday eve we now have a brand new combination heater (Heating and warm water) of "state of the art" new Generation installed and working. It is supposed to save us costs for electricity and gas, well we`ll see when comparing the consumptions over a year or so.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That's an ingenious method, I would have never thought of but sounds simple (with practice) now that you explain it.

Thanks for explaining that.

As I've halted my build to better understand the rigging, the sails and their production is a major concern. Having masters of the art to aid in my and others understanding is so helpful and inspiring, as the details of construction is more valuable then just the pretty pictures of the finished piece.

Thanks for helping so many to understand so much. I love your build log for this reason.

I also hope your furnace issues are resolved as that can be quite a burden. 

great sail making technique Nils......the patchings make for a really nice touch ;)   they look quite real  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thank you Popeye,

those patches Show up well when the light is from behind, so that the reinforced Areas can be seen

I`m not going to Show every few sails made, this is just to illustrate this sequence in sewing

Nils

post-3445-0-47091500-1415376056_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

yea,  I can understand that ;)    it's good to show your technique though.......I'm sure that someone will come away with an idea or two.  I know I did........;)   how much of an edge fold do you allow,  before you sew on the rope edging {bolt ropes?}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye,

the bolt rope is sewed on 4mm away from the edge. When the 4mm are folded inwards after the bol trope is on, it will be laying perfectly at the sail outsiide edge

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

ME!

As I contemplate the DSotM's rigging, the sails are a concern. Especially the bolt rope attachment.
Nils solution is both elegant in design and easy as one can use the machine, plus they have the added realism of them being hand sewn. The rubbing patches, give them depth, which creates that real feeling.

If no one else got anything from Nils sails tutorial, what I learned alone makes it worth it. Of course though, I know I'm not alone and many will benefit.
Reading build logs is like homework for me.
As I slowly think through things - Nils has help me with sails, Cap'n'Bob has helped me with rigging hardware, and on and .......

Nils I echo the sentiments of everyone who  has commented on your work.  Great attention to detail.

David B

Keith, David, Popeye, Bob and Juergen,

many thanks for your Kind appreciations, and thanks to all others for the likes. I`m very happy if some of the self experienced Detail could be of help to the one or other and I like to share whatever I feel should be passed on....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Omega,

I`m just doing this as a Hobby, since I have retired in 2007 I have the necessary time to do so. Your gues is quite right, I was acting as a graduated mechanical engineer during my active time.

In the Moment there are no certain plans for the next model Project, although I have many in mind. Unfortunately I ran out of space in my home, as each completed model requires its own Display case, wish I had a larger house.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Your space problem is a common one Nils. I'm on a "one in, one out" system. I'm not allowed to start one without having a completed model leave the house. :(  :(

Bob

Bob,

I`m taking you serious, what a painful thought....

sounds like a strict Arrangement deal with your admiralty, you must have tears in your eyes when you part from one of your "babies".

What happens to those leaving your home, do you sell them ? do they find a place in the public or in the further Family?

Hopefully you can see them frequently

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Your space problem is a common one Nils. I'm on a "one in, one out" system. I'm not allowed to start one without having a completed model leave the house. :(  :(

Bob

I’m close to that myself.  After I gave the dragon to my brother the admiral said, ”That was my favorite.”  Sometimes you just can’t win.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

It's really not so bad Nils. Some have gone to my kids homes and offices, others to friends homes and a couple to charitable auctions. The most recent ones are still in my house.

Bob

Bob and Bob,

that what I asumed it to be....

the most pleasure goes with building a model, and even more having fun, if it turns out the way it was expected to be

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The majority of mine were given away since I do not have the room.  It would be nice to keep them but no room.

David B

I've only had two leave the house so far........I hated to see the Cux 87 go.   it ended being shown at a model expo in Chicago, so it lessened the pain.........gotta get me another one {it was a fun build}.   the Nordkap,  Mary Ann,  and the Gundalow are in boxes  in the hallway closet.   still haven't made or bought a case for them....if anyone wants to see them,  I bring them out.   the main thing is that I don't want them to get dusty.  the other four that I have,  are in an open faced book case that I modified for them....in the living room.  it's a low dust room........no one goes in there but me to watch the TV  :)

the admiral already has her favorite........no one touches the M&M boat!   not even ME!  :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

do´nt be sad for the left boats, you`ll be having a whole Harbor full of new ones in due time....

the glass cases are a nice achievement for dust protection. I see how dust settles on top glass pane of the case now and then, and I think this would have settled on the model otherwise. Even the Pegasus, still in process for some months already, is starting to gather dust, I`d better use a light Cloth cover protection for the meantime

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I'm not sad Nils........the person who I built them for is enjoying them....that's what counts :)   I was told that someone wanted to buy it form him at the expo.........said he'd split the money with me.   he didn't sell it though.........I think he couldn't part with it :D  :D  :D   the Billing's Cux kit is a really good kit....the Mary Ann kit is a spin off {but don't tell anyone I said that  ;)  }   there are a couple of others that utilize the same hull design.

I still have the parts panels........I could make up another hull.   I won't do that right now though.......I think I have more than enough on the table at the moment  :D     I'd be better to get one done soon.............I don't want folks to think I'm totally off my nut!

looking forward to more of your fabulous workmanship... ;)..........perhap later you'll bring your Cux out in the forefront and do some work on her  ;)

oh.......and I keep cloth drapes over my builds until I bring them back out to work on them.  I'm not into the dust thing either  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Build log part 67

Sails, sails and sails......

currently I`m working on the sails, all 18 are sewn, the bolt ropes are on, and I´m continuing with the cringles ( for bowlines, reef- and buntlines, etc....) and the short reef  lines on the appropriate sails and sail areas.

The two waterholes of the sprit sail required some Handsewing to prevent fringing out.

It took me round about a week for the sails, now I Need to order some additional blocks for their rigging

Nils

post-3445-0-47643700-1415982026_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-73721600-1415982029_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-56651500-1415982032_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70324900-1415982034_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Martin and Juergen,

thanks for your words, I`m eager too to get the very first sail rigged on the ship.

Have to see if there are any fitting out parts on deck to be attached permanently now, like chain pumps, main gallows, etc.... and see that I get the right sequence for mounting versa  Access to the belaying Points. I am intending to rig the sails in a reasonable braced mode, as much as I can because of the limited Yards clearance with the shrouds and with accordingly  loosened  truss tackels to allow that.

Because the bracing tackles go on last I have to put some preliminary bracing lines on to Position the Yards during rigging

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Impressive work Nils.  I'm looking forward seeing the sails on.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you Piet and Jason,

I was just trying to get an overview of how many sprit boom related lines I would Need to put on, and also to establish belaying Points for those.

The Little Hand scetch (pending changes ) helps me along with that and inspired by a recent pic of Danny`s Vulture, a Detail not shown in the Amati plan, I think the 8- hole saddle stradling the bow sprit will bring some better alignment and neatness to the many bow lines

Nils

post-3445-0-59764800-1416067359_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-61010500-1416067364_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice sails.  I should have had you make mine.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob,

as far as the sails concerned...., one has to just do it, in order to find out what can be improved next time. The Problem is, I do`nt know anybody who else could do it for me. Hopefuly there will be some more modelers on NMSW that Show how they will do / did their sails

Nils

Kees,

you are so right, it is a Patience Job with the sewing of sails, and I wondered about myself that I managed to stand it through...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed