HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Thank you very much David,

I`m so happy that I have the time to follow my Hobby again after retirement, but still some time to go till she browses down the slipway

Nils

Your words are much appreciated Lee,

I`m sure your "Alert`s " rigging will be first class, telling by that super framing and joining work  so far.

For my behalf I ca`nt begin a rigging sequence without doing a hand-scetch first, in order to sort out what goes where. I seldom see this from fellow builders, but I`m sure they would do so as well. The scetch usualy bears the Information from several plan Sheets concentrated to the Need in the Moment (samples included)

Nils

post-3445-0-22759100-1421147639_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-16420800-1421147642_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-26364100-1421147644_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Bob,

I have just noted from one of your last Essex-related Posts that you estimate your fantastic built "Essex" to 40" over all (101,6 cm) although in scale 1:76,8   ! wow !

Thats quite a large Baby, I am just imagining the size of the required glass case

The over all "Pegasus" will be only 80 cm in length

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

this is going to be interesting.....doing ratlines at this stage of the rigging.   don't believe I've ever seen it before  :)  sails are looking great Nils.........such beauty!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

no, its not a Problem at this stage, because the square-sails are not permanently rigged in braced mode yet (can swivel them away from the ratline applying  shroud Areas). Ratlines at this stage, or done before would hinder Access to belaying and control-lines lines of the square sails

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Nenad,

when the CS in your shipyard Comes to rigging, will you be Fitting set sails ?

Nils

All of them will be on their place with full equipment ... but ... long road untill I reach there, and a plenty of time to learn what I have to know about

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nils, many thanks for your warm words and tips. Long time experience of wooden furniture making as a hobby, woodworking for model ship building is familiar with me. But the rigging, I've never done yet, seems highlight of ship modeling. Yes, rigging of Alert will give me a good chance of experience. Fortunately, she has only one mast.

a little intermediate sequence....

making of shroud cleats in scale 1:64

due to the need for some shroud cleats for the rigging I had this idea and made a prototype cleat, which worked out quite well.....

requires brass tube diam. 2 x 1 mm and brass wire 0,5 mm, gas tourch some low melting solder and flux

Nils

post-3445-0-59420600-1421241299_thumb.jpg

file away appr. 1/3 of the tube outside

post-3445-0-04809000-1421241320_thumb.jpg

drill two smal 0,6 mm holes into the remaining semi-half, insert the bent 0,5 mm brass wire, apply solder and gas tourch solder

post-3445-0-83123600-1421241662_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-90887300-1421241325_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-55205100-1421241332_thumb.jpg

when it looks like this, cut from the tube and round trimm  the semi half cleat ends.

ready for blackening, if desired....

post-3445-0-60408700-1421241338_thumb.jpg

tie cleat to shroud with two small seizings, ready for rigging, Useable for Shroud diameter appr. 0,75- 1 mm.

if possible attach shroud cleats before the ratlines are on in ths related areas

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Way to go Nils, brilliant idea.  Yup, it certainly helps when one has an engineering background.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Build log part 73

update, on going sail rigging.....

hanging in the pre-rigged square sails is easier than I thought it would be. The main top sail is easier to brace, although the parrel tie to the mast ca`nt be loosened, but the top sail does not foul the shrouds, and the main top staysail fits neatly in with its aft-contour

Nils

post-3445-0-34297000-1421584896_thumb.jpg

most of the sail controlling lines (mounted sails) are attached and belayed

post-3445-0-38368200-1421584900_thumb.jpg

There are reef lines attached to the topsail yard, shall also add leech lines (these two features from Lennarth Peterson`s book are not shown in the Amati plan)

post-3445-0-72609200-1421584906_thumb.jpg

will add the shroud cleats and ratlines to the main mast shrouds next

post-3445-0-39472600-1421584912_thumb.jpg

as long as the bracelines have not been permanently rigged, the square sails can be swivelled over to both sides, for access to the shrouds

post-3445-0-35261900-1421584918_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

3 x WOW !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for looking in and your appreciation Nenad,

I`m glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

You are truly an amazing builder.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Appreciate your fine comment Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Martin,

thank you very much, and I`m indeed happy with the result so far, as most went right first time and no time time robbing doing over or redoing  of parts

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Those sails look great. The whole ship will be an absolutely spectacular beauty.

As usual I also nag a bit. I like those shroud cleats – very ingenious. But, don’t they look a bit skeletal? I admit I don’t know if they were originally made of wood or cast-iron or whatever but I think they could use a bit more substance. Perhaps you could thicken the legs with some solder?

Keep up the good work

Cheerio

Peter

Beautiful work Nils, those sails are gorgeous.  Seeing the Pegasus in full sails has made me decide to put mine in full sails as well :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Peter,

thanks for your comment

you caught me there , I had simular thoughts when looking at the cleat result, The belaying leg-Portion (0,5 mm wire) would be 32 mm diam in actual, so I did`nt find that too skinny, but the endings (legs) should be a Little rounded off and modified. I think I`ll do an alternative solution in the next days, I have something in mind already.....

Nils

Mike,

I`m very happy if this may have been the Inspiration for you to go with sails. A pitty that the Amati plans do`nt comprise a sheet or two related to sails rigging. In the beginning I was a bit unsure if the number of sails and the sail Arrangement were correct, as I do`nt hold Atscherl`s Swan Class rigging volume IV book, and to my knowledge I trust there has not been any Swan Class under sail in scale 1:64 on this Forum before

Nils

Hi Marc,

thanks for dropping in, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

looking super Nils.......your really moving right along!   your method of pre hung sails is working well for you :)    the rigging is really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great photos Nils, she looks so impressive, and not yet fully rigged.

Your Pegasus is a model to look at over and over again and still find something new not spotted before, she has so much detail of interest.

Great stuff :)

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E. ,

when looking at the close up yard tip, I recognized that I had by mistake tied the topsail sheet, one turn around the upper lift line. Its not obvious to see, for someone who does`nt know, but it looks at me now. As the line-ends have been snipped off already, I Would have to put new lines on to get that one mended. Decision : leave as is...

Nils

post-3445-0-16978700-1421863079_thumb.jpg

....not free from mistakes....

post-3445-0-38183400-1421863084_thumb.jpg

Skylight simply glued to deck, and tabernacle tied down on deck

post-3445-0-36995700-1421863092_thumb.jpg

beginning to clean up the line ends, all belaying places on gallows posts rail occupied now

post-3445-0-08140900-1421863096_thumb.jpg

close up at the port quarter

post-3445-0-53187400-1421863147_thumb.jpg

helmsman working place

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for your Kind words Bob,

this one is calling for most concentration, because there have been so many of my ideas and experiences inplemented, that the plan set stays on the shelf most of the time. Many ideas come to me when I do my daily morning walk with the dog, On the other Hand there are so many good inspirations by MSW Posts of fellow builders as well. Lucky for me I have the time to do this modeling since my retirement, and it Looks like it will be a  two years Project after all,  like the others, if completion can finalize  in Summer 2015

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Merci Michel,

thanks for dropping in, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Amazing detail, Nils.  I'm surprised you can see an end-date, but then I also keep asking myself, how many details can one build include? 

Terrific,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel