HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

Hi Nils

Great sails, great progress. If you go on like this, you will soon be up to ‘Mobbsie-speed’ (similar to speed of light: you cannot go faster without using some rather exotic physics).

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for your words, but there is still quite a lot of work with the sails, those cringles and the Multi rows of short reef strops are claiming their time.

It realy is a pitty that with so many Swan Class builds here at NMSW there seems to be not a single one with full rigged sails, so it Looks like I will possibly "push out the boat" in scale 1:64 if it works out OK.

There is an exception though, its the introduction of (non member) Tom Cummings well built "HMS Atalanta" in scale 1:48, by member Greg (dvm27) link, fully rigged with sails !

First model Swan Class vessel I ever saw rigged under full sails. Hopefuly Greg can persuade Tom to join in to the comunity

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Mark,

thanks for your appreciation, its nothing Special, but in the Moment its the best I could do in this 1:64 scale. You may be right with that "far off sail thinking Thing", but I lost my anxiety to "learn by doing" with my wifes sewing machine, when the tallship sails were sewn for scale 1:96

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks Geoff,

in fact I had some orders for repairs already, trust it will stay within Limits.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

After receiving the ordered blocks out of Chucks store today I put on the first sail (spanker). Except for the in- and outhauler tackle and the ensign that should be complete now.

There are some extra lines and belaying points for these at the base mizzen mast . Will rig the the ready stay sails next and their operating lines .

post-3445-0-27597200-1417015022_thumb.jpg

leave away the ratlines and the last backstays and ensign until later

post-3445-0-12430400-1417015026_thumb.jpg

the horizontal driver boom is about 3mm (scale 1:64) over the catains head / hat

post-3445-0-91837900-1417015030_thumb.jpg

Build log part 68 to follow

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The sails and the running rigging really make her sing.  She’s lovely.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks Bob + Bob,

for your appreciations

now is the time for sharp scissors, tweesers, and all sorts of thread sizes. Ist quite a bit of fiddling to get the threads through the blocks sheave holes.

I work with Polyester thread by which I can thin out the Ends by heating them over the gastourch.

I decided to work with Hand scetches to have have the sail rigging Arrangement before my eyes, whereby the Details are from the books I mentioned earlier. (like done for the enclosed sample)

This also helps to sort  the blocks, determine their sizes, and the tackle types

for those sails that are reefed to a certain grade from deck I shall be adding brail-lines and the appropriate belaying points

Nils

post-3445-0-72876000-1417023924_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for dropping in Keith,

I`m glad you like it, but it all needs some time now

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils I have to agree with Keith regarding getting lost in the amount of detail in those last pictures. She is looking rather spiffy.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you very much Michael,

I`m busy with the sails now.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

very nice start on the sails and rigging Nils......judging from that drawing,  you've been doing quite a bit of homework!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Build log part 68

starting with the stay sails.....

Slowly but constantly the sails are being rigged. The spanker and the bottom row of stay sails are on

post-3445-0-71865900-1417619586_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49204100-1417619583_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-43230700-1417619589_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25563300-1417619580_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-55359100-1417619577_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-07785300-1417619562_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-12273500-1417619567_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-40184400-1417619570_thumb.jpg

Nils

Build log part 69 to follow

post-3445-0-60027900-1417619573_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

your setting the sails in a very neat way............looks very nice Nils  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

Thank you, yeah, it Looks a bit strange without the square sails put on but I have to do additional work on some of  the uncompleted Yards, and still I`m having some headaches with the two lower Yards (when sharp braced, Yard moving much away from mast).

I should rather have rigged the the first two shrouds in stand alone single lines on each side and mast with a quick loostenable additional tackle, also not incorporating the catharpins attachments to These.

Would recommend this to other modelers who may intend to rig Yards in a braced mode

Nils

Thank you Juergen,

I`m quite happy to be so far with the build in the Moment. As my Amati plan Shows neighter sail rigging, nor stay sails, i hope and presume that the sails I did are not too wrong. I am using much more individual blocks for all those sail rigging lines than originaly intended, but I think it is worth it not to save material here.....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

To me it doesn't look strange, with just the stay sails she kind of reminds me of the Xebec rigged with her Lateen Sails, if one doesn't focus on the tall Masts. ... But then I love fore and aft rigs and Lateen setups.

To me I couldn't tell you if they are wrong, but I can say they look GOOD. Your Pegasus just keeps expanding and becoming more detailed. With the more distant pictures, one almost forgets that she's cut away for internal viewing. The layers of detail, that draws one in and as you get closer more detail appears, with the added cut away makes your Pegasus SO unique. It is the work of a real Master.   

Keith,

thanks for your words,

for the sheet, tacks, brails, reeflines, etc,.... I refer to Lennarth Peterssons and James Lees publications

Nils

Martin,

thank you for your appreciation, I trust that it will be easier to get the mounted squaresails prefixed to the Yards and then rigged to the masts, than fiddeling the stay sails in between the squaresails, but ist just a thought, I have to try it out, and see how it goes...

Nils

B.E.

Many times I thought of rigging a full suit of sails, or if that would possibly overload the appearance of the model, or take much of the sight on it, but on the other Hand I know only of one "Swan Class" model I`ve seen, and that was in scale 1:48 bearing most of the rigged sails, and I found that very inspiring, so there was the challenge if I can do it in scale 1:64.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 69

Starting yesterday with a ship captains gig (POF build in 1:64) to suite the available space at the ships waist and on top of the gallows...., lashed to the spare spars afterwards

Looking up my literature for a plan I could use, I fould a nice looking boat ( line- and frame plans), amoungst several orthers, in Chapmans Architectura Navalis Mercatoria.

The plan had to be converted to a max length of 136 mm for the boats overall dimension without hooked in rudder.

The frames will have (sawn) precut lines for breaking out the inner frame portions afterwards, and all frames brought to a horizontal level for fixing on a flat building base

I would like to do the hull planking in Clinker mode and hope I can do it. Its a long time ago when the two lifeboats of my "Bohuslän" (appr. the same size) were built POF with clinker planking. This now shall be a little intermediate trip to 18 th century boatbuilding

For fellow builders that are interested, I have made some pics comprising the to date status on this little project....

post-3445-0-44661600-1418141841_thumb.jpg

this is what I have in mind, (the upper two, and bottom right), pic borrowed from the web

post-3445-0-76740900-1418141775_thumb.jpg

Chapmans book, chose model # 5 lines and frameplan

post-3445-0-49694400-1418141745_thumb.jpg

transfer frames and keel to 1mm ply

post-3445-0-04730600-1418141750_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45562400-1418141752_thumb.jpg

Deck- and waterline view

post-3445-0-56677100-1418141755_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63750900-1418141758_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-20912600-1418141764_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-61553100-1418141770_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-23297400-1418141779_thumb.jpg

frames cut out with the jig-saw

Nils

to be continued....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Captains gig

the keellaying took place today

post-3445-0-96274000-1418143096_thumb.jpg

the obligatory base board with supports for leaning and glueing the frames to....

post-3445-0-05363000-1418143099_thumb.jpg

there wont be any stringers except for one, bothsides, like shown here

post-3445-0-16371000-1418143101_thumb.jpg

frame precuts (for breaking out) can be seen here

post-3445-0-99909800-1418143103_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

With such a nice looking start, you will not have any problems with clinker planking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I have tried doing a clinker several times and I id not like the results.  I will be pulling up a chair and taking notes from the teacher.  I hope you do not mind.

asks the always learning student.

David B

Hello Nils, the boats you chose to make look very much like the dinghy I am now making for my O19 model.  Mine is half the size as your's though and I am also klinker building it.  

With your dexterity and skill there should be no problem! 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A great start Nils - I'm looking forward to the outcome. Given all you have done so far, it is sure to be great!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Bob,

I hope you`re right, the Planks will be very thin, and at the bow and Stern Ends the overlapping plank portions have to be thined down, so that the Planks come flush to the bow- and sternpost bedding. Trying to find some suitable Planks in my scrap wood-bin

David,

you are allways welcome, so we both can watch the open ending of what works out......

Piet,

yes Piet I noticed your lovely Dinghi build activities in November this year already, knowing it is / was an ambitious Task, but it turned out very good looking, and the scale is even smaller. Does it fit into the appropriate Subs boat- hold ?

Alistair,

the Framework is very fragile, and having no proven kit to build from, all neccesary reinforcements have to be made and fitted as the Need requires. When planking is completed I shall remove it from the build block and and remove the centerportions of the framework

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed