HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

thanks to both Bob and Bob,

well appreciated comments.....

It may take a Little time for the next updates, I have so much other things on my "to do list" in the moment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils there is always so much to see in your photographs, the amount of detail is amazing  these must have been very busy places for the seamen.

All the best in the new year to you and your family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I totally agree Michael.......the shot of the pumps alone shows a very busy scene  ;)    Nils,  you have assembled quite a ship here  :)   as with all of your other builds,  you've instilled so much detail.   the human eye can only take in snippets,  what the camera can do as a whole.  now you plan to take it aloft....wherever you plan to show this beauty......I hope it will be seen from both sides  :)

Now I have to ask........will the Cux be on the list for 2015?   very interested to see you take on her  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Michael,

yes, sometimes I get lost in Details, probably the Advantage of scratch build, because I can do many things as they are created in my mind, although many is not yet mounted due to the Access to belaying Points whilst the rigging

Nils

Thank you Popeye,

it is also my Intension to find a place where it can be seen from both sides when finaly completed.

Relating to the "CUX" I ca`nt tell when it will go on, she`s still sitting on the shelf, and I have to be in the mood to groove myself in for carrying on. The "Bohuslän" was also sitting idle for many years collecting dust, until one day I was in the mood again, and that lasted to complete the model.

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I can wait.........I'm very patient!  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you Lawrence,

for dropping in and for your nice words, you`re always welcome the logs.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 71

a little update, moving on, to fitting and mounting the square sails....., starting with the main course attached to the main yard.

I decided to pre-rig the square sail to the yard, and then put the yard with the sail at it`s place.

Most of the lines are sheaved in to the tiny blocks, also truss tackle, clue lines for the main, and sheet line for the main topsail. Also the main yard-sling will be pre fixed to the yard.

The leech- and buntlines will be sheaved to the blocks under the main top platform, before the yard goes to its place.

I hope all shall go well and that the lines do`nt get tangled whilst mounting

Nils

post-3445-0-08188300-1420730762_thumb.jpg

first a few sights of non-complete fitting out status

post-3445-0-08350200-1420730767_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-04946500-1420730770_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-77159400-1420730773_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-63829900-1420730775_thumb.jpg

I decided to put flemish horses to the outer yard tips

post-3445-0-58068100-1420730777_thumb.jpg

blocks, stirrups and horses mounted

post-3445-0-23769100-1420730780_thumb.jpg

first trial hanging in of the main yard

post-3445-0-95176900-1420730784_thumb.jpg

stern view

post-3445-0-40764100-1420730787_thumb.jpg

the sail is now standing square to the ships length axis, the square sails will later on be braced as sharp as possible

(Fouling with the shrouds)

post-3445-0-34096500-1420730790_thumb.jpg

Pre rigged main course

The vertical lines are for truss tackle

The other line are preliminary lead through the outer stud sail spar supports, for easier mounting

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I am always amazed at the detail you add to your ships.  Then I see your helper in the yellow pants and I understand.  I need to find a little guy to help me.  Great work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I often wondered if this would be a doable idea......I've never done it myself.  your proving that it can be done.....bravo!   very nice progress as well  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Absolutely Beautiful work Nils , she looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Juergen

I`m curious what she will look like when all sails are set and rigged. As far as I have seen, there is at this time no other Swan Class under full set sail model build log at MSW

Bob

I realy Need These Little figurines for checking the scaled dimensions

Popeye

trust you meant the pre-rigginging of the square sails, ist just the Dance with all those lines so they do`nt get tangled. I have to gain more experience with that...., and hope that it works

Pete

appriciate your comment, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very realistic looking sail Nils, great job.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you very much Piet,

I rigged the (pre-rigged) main course in place this afternoon, it went quite well, so that the next ones will be rigged even easier (learning curve)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, you are doing an amazing job with the rigging and sails I had no real idea of how much detail can be incorporated into the rigging and spars.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

thank you for your comment. I remember putting on all those sail operating lines on the two tallships but that was in scale 1:95 and only possible with Long tweezers, holding the breath for fiddeling in blocks, an making and securing mini knots, etc,... ,

now with scale 1:64 there is much more relief and access to the belaying pionts, but still the sequences in progress have to be well planed ahead

thanks Patrick,

I have a small number of crew figurines in (1:64) that will be placed on the ship permanently afterwards.

Also I`m planing to place some 18th century british naval marines (red coats) scale (1:64) on the gun deck, and perhaps one or two each at the swivels at forecastle and quarterdeck

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 72

update on rigging the main course.......,

as I mentioned earlier I wanted to rig the square sails in braced mode, and starting with the main sail the angle of bracing is somewhat limited to fouling with shrouds, and main stay-sail

This is the maximum (sharp braced mode) I can get out of thje geometry for this squarerigger, with loostened weather truss, and set of sail controlling lines accordingly. Am quite pleased with the geometry so far. Am using more blocks than initially intended, but it provides better appeal for the rigging.

Shall probably rig the main topsail next

Nils

post-3445-0-95653300-1420986357_thumb.jpg

related to the pre-rigging of the yard with sail, this went quite well

post-3445-0-39512300-1420986362_thumb.jpg

leech- and buntlines attached but not belayed yet. Also the ratlines are not on yet, as long as I have to operate with the tweezers

post-3445-0-39299800-1420986365_thumb.jpg

here maximum bracing angle

post-3445-0-48172200-1420986368_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81742300-1420986372_thumb.jpg

most of the controling lines come down between main mast and gallow to the blocks on deck and then to the belaying rail

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

It's hard to believe she is not full size until you see the tools on the workbench.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Crackers,

thanks very much, I`ll see what can be done about it to Keep that smile on your face

Nils

Thank you very much for your words Bob,

ist quite a fiddely Party in the Moment, Looks like it will go on for quite a lot of days and much concentration

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic looking work Nils.  It's a sheer joy watching this ship come to life!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Mauro,

thanks for your appreciation..., am glad you like it

Nils

Piet,

thank you for your nice words,

the rigging is a bit time consuming right now, am momrentarily at the main topsail fitting out the yard with blocks horses, stirrups, etc.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Hartmut,

nice words, and I see you`re shipyard is not so very far from my place....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just briliant !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Many thanks Nenad,

when the CS in your shipyard Comes to rigging, will you be Fitting set sails ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Slowly you are finishing a labor of love and then out comes a fine bottle and a toast to the lady when completed.

David B