Mirabell61

HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun "Swan Class" sloop from Amati / Victory Models plan / COMPLETED

Hi Nils. Your engineering background certainly shines thru each time you post your hand drawn sketches. I bet the young fresh faced engineers can't do them half as well!

All the best!

Patrick

Build log part 73

update, on going sail rigging.....

hanging in the pre-rigged square sails is easier than I thought it would be. The main top sail is easier to brace, although the parrel tie to the mast ca`nt be loosened, but the top sail does not foul the shrouds, and the main top staysail fits neatly in with its aft-contour

Nils

post-3445-0-34297000-1421584896_thumb.jpg

most of the sail controlling lines (mounted sails) are attached and belayed

post-3445-0-38368200-1421584900_thumb.jpg

There are reef lines attached to the topsail yard, shall also add leech lines (these two features from Lennarth Peterson`s book are not shown in the Amati plan)

post-3445-0-72609200-1421584906_thumb.jpg

will add the shroud cleats and ratlines to the main mast shrouds next

post-3445-0-39472600-1421584912_thumb.jpg

as long as the bracelines have not been permanently rigged, the square sails can be swivelled over to both sides, for access to the shrouds

post-3445-0-35261900-1421584918_thumb.jpg

Martin,

thank you very much, and I`m indeed happy with the result so far, as most went right first time and no time time robbing doing over or redoing  of parts

Nils 

Hi Nils

Those sails look great. The whole ship will be an absolutely spectacular beauty.

As usual I also nag a bit. I like those shroud cleats – very ingenious. But, don’t they look a bit skeletal? I admit I don’t know if they were originally made of wood or cast-iron or whatever but I think they could use a bit more substance. Perhaps you could thicken the legs with some solder?

Keep up the good work

Cheerio

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for your comment

you caught me there , I had simular thoughts when looking at the cleat result, The belaying leg-Portion (0,5 mm wire) would be 32 mm diam in actual, so I did`nt find that too skinny, but the endings (legs) should be a Little rounded off and modified. I think I`ll do an alternative solution in the next days, I have something in mind already.....

Nils

Mike,

I`m very happy if this may have been the Inspiration for you to go with sails. A pitty that the Amati plans do`nt comprise a sheet or two related to sails rigging. In the beginning I was a bit unsure if the number of sails and the sail Arrangement were correct, as I do`nt hold Atscherl`s Swan Class rigging volume IV book, and to my knowledge I trust there has not been any Swan Class under sail in scale 1:64 on this Forum before

Nils

Hi Marc,

thanks for dropping in, glad you like it

Nils

Great photos Nils, she looks so impressive, and not yet fully rigged.

Your Pegasus is a model to look at over and over again and still find something new not spotted before, she has so much detail of interest.

Great stuff :)

B.E.

Great photos Nils, she looks so impressive, and not yet fully rigged.

Your Pegasus is a model to look at over and over again and still find something new not spotted before, she has so much detail of interest.

Great stuff :)

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E. ,

when looking at the close up yard tip, I recognized that I had by mistake tied the topsail sheet, one turn around the upper lift line. Its not obvious to see, for someone who does`nt know, but it looks at me now. As the line-ends have been snipped off already, I Would have to put new lines on to get that one mended. Decision : leave as is...

Nils

post-3445-0-16978700-1421863079_thumb.jpg

....not free from mistakes....

post-3445-0-38183400-1421863084_thumb.jpg

Skylight simply glued to deck, and tabernacle tied down on deck

post-3445-0-36995700-1421863092_thumb.jpg

beginning to clean up the line ends, all belaying places on gallows posts rail occupied now

post-3445-0-08140900-1421863096_thumb.jpg

close up at the port quarter

post-3445-0-53187400-1421863147_thumb.jpg

helmsman working place

Thanks for your Kind words Bob,

this one is calling for most concentration, because there have been so many of my ideas and experiences inplemented, that the plan set stays on the shelf most of the time. Many ideas come to me when I do my daily morning walk with the dog, On the other Hand there are so many good inspirations by MSW Posts of fellow builders as well. Lucky for me I have the time to do this modeling since my retirement, and it Looks like it will be a  two years Project after all,  like the others, if completion can finalize  in Summer 2015

Nils

Amazing detail, Nils.  I'm surprised you can see an end-date, but then I also keep asking myself, how many details can one build include? 

Terrific,

Martin

Thanks Martin,

summer 2015, only a rough estimate Martin

should be done by that time.....

Nils

Thank you for your appreciation Hartmut,

its fun building this one, and the rigging is quite challenging but I`m quite pleased so far

Nils

Your attention to the details of the rigging lead me to suspect that you have spent time sailing on a ship with rigging like this. It is one thing to follow a plan quite another to fully understand how the rigging actually works. Fantastic work Nils.

Michael

there are folks who build models...........and those who model..........you are definitely the latter!  beautiful work Nils!  the WOW factor of this build ,  is WAYYYYYYYYYY over the top!

Your fine comment is much apprrciated Popeye, thank you very much

Nils