HMS Pegasus by Mirabell61 - 1776-1777 - scale 1:64 - 16 gun - Finished

very nice work Nils......sails are looking splendid!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much Bob and Popeye,

Your kind comments are much appreciated...

because of all the extra and individual lines for rigging the sails there have to be quite a lot of belaying points that are not given by the plan, also the lines have to be placed, so they do`nt foul the braced square sails. It shall take more shroud cleats and lead thimbels than I thought it would

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

because of all the extra and individual lines for rigging the sails there have to be quite a lot of belaying points that are not given by the plan, also the lines have to be placed, so they do`nt foul the braced square sails. It shall take more shroud cleats and lead thimbels than I thought it would

Nils

And I thought my schooner was bad.  You're doing a great job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

As always Nils, you doing admirable work.

I like to monitor the progress of your log.

cheers, Matija

And I thought my schooner was bad.  You're doing a great job.

Bob

Hi Bob,

appreciate your comment thank you very much.....

Why did you think that your schooner was bad ?, its a fantastic model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

As always Nils, you doing admirable work.

I like to monitor the progress of your log.

cheers, Matija

Thank you Matija,

I`m happy if you drop in to my Pegasus build updates , you`re always very welcome to do so, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Bob,

appreciate your comment thank you very much.....

Why did you think that your schooner was bad ?, its a fantastic model

Nils

Should have said, "And I thought the rigging on my schooner was confusing.  It's nothing compared to the rigging you are doing."

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi David,

with the rigging its an ongoing  question of "what must be done first" in order to still have access to the belaying points of all those running rigging lines.

Thats also why I do the upfront scetches, to see early how many operating lines will go with the individual sail. The stay sails and spanker for instance are rigged for weather from port side. This means that all the square sails will have the weather from port to port-aft and must be braced accordingly

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Still too much rigging.  I have an allergy to rigging.  Years ago I fully rigged a Cutty Sark and did not feel to well afterward.  Since then the less I have to do the better I feel.

David B

An amazing amount of work Nils.  Quite and education sorting out all the control points and leads in that forest of lines.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you very much David and Michael,

I think I`ll do some more ratlines the next days......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

Build log part 75

Its probably going to take several more weeks to get all the rigging done, also I would like to do over the white-ensign flag.

The stern lantern is now mounted and some extra pinrails are fixed left and right to the skylight housing before the mizzen mast

Nils

post-3445-0-39567900-1423568110_thumb.jpg

mainmast staysails have just enough clearance to the main course

post-3445-0-64723200-1423568115_thumb.jpg

think I`ll do the White ensign flag over and a bit larger.....

post-3445-0-88518000-1423568120_thumb.jpg

the mizzen sail arrangement (on its own) looks like a cutter rigging

post-3445-0-38728600-1423568126_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70539700-1423568131_thumb.jpg

ready for rigging : fore sail, fore topsal and yards, fore- and main togallant sails and yards, and the two sprit sails with their yards

post-3445-0-93344300-1423568135_thumb.jpg

stern lantern with support and candle inside

post-3445-0-46468200-1423568139_thumb.jpg

still some lines missing here

post-3445-0-01253600-1423568143_thumb.jpg

I`m quite pleased with the progress so far

post-3445-0-98360200-1423568146_thumb.jpg

fitted each 3-pin rails left /righthand of the skylight

All the coiled line-ends to the pins (all belaying points) will be added later on

post-3445-0-78260100-1423568151_thumb.jpg

mizzen topsail rigging in progress

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very, very nice, Nils.  I like that touch of putting the candle in the lantern!!

And I can't help but admire and envy your draughting skills -- your drawings go a long way toward planning everything in advance to plan the sequence of rigging and belaying.  In my rigging I've had to lay out narrative plans that help some but not visually.  Your build log will always provide other Fly/Pegasus builders with plenty of guidance.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi B.E.,

many thanks for your nice comment.

When all is complete, I`m intending to do a whole set of pics at daylight illumination (better quality than tose artificial-light ones)

Nils

thank you Martin,

can be perhaps, that not all rigging is always 100% correct with the actual heritage rigging of 1776, but with help of Lennarth Peterson`s book all functional lines will be put on, when the sloop`s rigging is complete. I shall be very happy, if fellow builders can utilize the scetch-drawings for additional guidance

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, did you see the Kruzenstern in "Amazing Photographs"?  It reminds me of some of your great builds.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Yes, Thanks Bob,

I saw it this afternoon, lovely picture.....

the renamed "Krusenstern" is the former Laeisz Flying P-Liner "Padua" (maiden name), one of the six Pamir sister tallships. 

See her in lovely heritage look, without all those more modern russian ammendments to the deckhouses etc...

Nils

post-3445-0-10350200-1423586767_thumb.jpg

Flying P-Liner "Padua" (now converted to russian "Krusenstern") many, many seamiles ago

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

super job on your fitting her out Nils........some really nice rigging there.  I had to laugh when you mentioned there were some lines missing..........how can you tell!  :D   very well done! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks for your comment Popeye,

I`m smiling

and a laugh a day keeps the doc. away or so...., glad you liked it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Kees,

its not so difficult to rigg this 3-masted small Sloop, in fact its a Little frigate under sails and can be recommended a welcome object to still keep the overview versa some of the high skill beautiful rigging Jobs some fellow modelers do on those heavy frigates here at MSW

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I must have caught a cold yesterday, today headaches and running nose and feeling groggy, so not in the mood to do rigging in the moment.

Instead i bolted some of the boats rudder gudgeons, which I did not do to date, because only glued on.........

Also some impressions (close ups) of the working deck. This will be tidied up as good as possible later on

Nils

post-3445-0-02668200-1423850304_thumb.jpg

boats rudder printle- and gudgeon arrangement

post-3445-0-74427500-1423850285_thumb.jpg

many of the mainmast running rigging lines go upwards bihind the main gallow support.

the chainpump cranks (when horizontal angle) are in crews waist hight

post-3445-0-28608900-1423850289_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13958900-1423850292_thumb.jpg

here is the view to und under forecastle, on the stove and distille, where the waterbarrel takes the distillate, as well as front staircase to deck below and its railings, and stairs from gundeck to forecastle. The bits take the anchor cable. The starboard side anchor cable is tied to the messenger in regular spaces

post-3445-0-59650600-1423850294_thumb.jpg

here the messenger cable runs by past the deck ladders and disappears under the QD where it is slung around the capstan in five windings

post-3445-0-82428700-1423850298_thumb.jpg

Amati 1:64 Swan Class builders will surely have recognised that my hold hatches (and gratings) are a bit larger  

post-3445-0-93546200-1423850301_thumb.jpg

QD deck view on the "closed" side

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Tea with honey, Nils -- that won't cure your cold, but it should help you rest.

Great shots with loads of details.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks Martin,

I`ll give it a try for tea wih honey

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Lawrence,

yes, I also trust it will be a nice sight, when all the sails are set, as i also like fully rigged sails on ships

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful rigging and details.  I can imagine being 28mm tall on your lovely ship.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your nice comment, in that case Keep an eye on the rope coils in order not to stumble, the deck ist not tidied up yet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Your work is always good, clean and meticulous

The pleasure is to watch the construction of your ship.

Regards, Matija.