Which Scale 1/200 or 1/350 Kit is the most detailed

Guyuti

Hi,

Looking to purchase a kit in the scale 1/200 or 1/350 depending on how detailed it is. I am looking for as much detail as possible from photo etch / 3d printing.

any advise would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at the Hood with mk1 design detail up kit. but i will bow to those with more knowledge.

Thanks

Guy

There's detail. then there's accurate detail!

If money isn't a problem, both scales offer superb detail sets.

As always, research, research and more research.

There are plenty of finished builds on the net.....it's up to you to decide which way to go.

So far I’ve completed several 1:350 and two 1:200 scale ships, the Hornet and the Arizona, and have others waiting. I’ve used both the KA Mk.1 and Pontos photo etch upgrades and both are superb! The learning curve is steep, good quality tools are a must, and these beasts take a long time to build, but the results are worth it. 

359278A0-357B-478D-9B5C-1894544E432E.jpeg

10DADAC0-5F89-421B-A9A1-BAC4A487D17B.jpeg

If you go to YouTube and search for

The Model Shed 

Steve the author is doing a detailed build of the 1/200 Hood using the Pontos detail set.  He posts every Friday UK time and each episode is in-depth of every step so far.

He is upto episode 33 and is nearing completion. He has a video review of the Pontos set, which I also have and it is immense. His videos cover assembling all the PE, brass, wood decks etc.

I can't comment on this particular MK1 set.

He also used 3D printed parts for some of the guns.

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

By virtue of the fact that is a larger scale, 1/200 will naturally allow for more detail. However, if you have seen some of the incredible detail sets that are now available in even 1/700 scale, the issue of detail per unit of scale is almost a non-issue. I think for many modelers it would be more a question of cost and available display space.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I agree fully with all the above. I would add the following: 

- If you are in love with a specific ship, go for the 1:200 scale and get all the PE sets you can find. You can turn your dream ship into a museum quality piece with a lot of care and time.

- If you are more into quantity and large number of models, of course, go with the 1:700 or 1:350 depending on the space you have.

Personally, I only have space for one model and went with 1:48th scale, which gives you the ultimate in details and realism. However, it is massive.

Yves