Flags supplied by Amati look to be too big

As it says above. i think the flags red ensign and white ensign are too big as is the one in the middle which i think is for the reserves . the Union Jack looks to be ok. Of coarse I could be wrong. Ensigns are aproximately 110mm x 55mm and the union jack is 65mm x 30 mm.Scale is 1:60 . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

Hi Dave,

www.becc.co.uk      You may be lucky and find the sizes you require there. I think cornwall model boats also sell becc flags.

Happy hunting,

Dave :dancetl6:

Thanks for that ! I will take a look and see what they have.

If you have any kind of CAD program, including Paint which is standard on many computers, you can prepare your own and print on paper or better yet,  silk span.  Tape the span to a sheet of regular printing paper.   Alignment takes some time as you choose to print on both sides, or you can print mirror images and fold over on itself once printed.  Once the ink is dry, (takes a little longer on silk span than regular paper) wet the flag with matte medium and it can be shaped to drape naturally.  If you wind up with cloth sails, the matte medium is still a good way to go to shape the flag in a natural position. 

Flag.thumb.JPG.16d527dc1ee3d96e89548e7d9710635a.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks guys. No I haven,t tried printing them but I am sure I could if needs arise. At the moment I am not sure if I did it would turn out any better than what is supplied however printing on silkspan  might be an option. I havd a look on cornwall ship models which as you saind supply some flas made out of a cloth type material and look very good however at a fairly high price for what they are. Thank you every one for helping out here .Best regards Dave

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Dave,

CC don't supply flags, so I got this BECC 75mm one for my Bounty from Cornwall MB.

20210521_154910.jpg

Yeah I seen them. Looks really nice. I assume the line is to tie it to a lanyard rather than glue it. Do you reckon the 75mm one is the one to get.I also see there is a nice video on the Beccs sight which shows how to fold them too. I think I will get this at some stage, the next time I order something from them. THanks again for your help.Best regards Dave.

I don't have to hand the scaling for His Majesty's Armed Vessel Bounty, but the equivalent for French service has the Ensign at Beam by 2/3 Beam. This should scale to around 123mm by 82mm (Not saying this is *the* correct size for a vessel in the service of His Brittanic Majesty, but your issued ensign is not larger than the Ensigns flown at the stern of foreign vessels and looks to be not unreasonable).

The smaller Ensigns are also carried and can be flown instead if the wind conditions indicate reduced canvas is appropriate (or if the ensign is lost to storm or battle damage, to replace the lost flag).

13 hours ago, Lieste said:

I don't have to hand the scaling for His Majesty's Armed Vessel Bounty, but the equivalent for French service has the Ensign at Beam by 2/3 Beam. This should scale to around 123mm by 82mm (Not saying this is *the* correct size for a vessel in the service of His Brittanic Majesty, but your issued ensign is not larger than the Ensigns flown at the stern of foreign vessels and looks to be not unreasonable).

The smaller Ensigns are also carried and can be flown instead if the wind conditions indicate reduced canvas is appropriate (or if the ensign is lost to storm or battle damage, to replace the lost flag).

Thank you for your input and I think you are correct. Since starting this thread I have looked at quite a few photos of period ships and there flags and I am incorrect in my first thoughts on this subject. Please forgive me for my ignorence to everyone for not doing more research first .

You also mentioned the smaller ensigns being used as well but only the Union Jack has been supplied in the smaller flags ,unless this is classed as a ensign? Best regards Dave