Modeler’s Sawmill - A new company selling boxwood sheets and strips in the USA

Just a heads up. A new company…actually a one man shop like Hobbymill is starting up in the USA.  Finally another source to by stripwood and sheets of precision milled wood.  

His name is Joe Volpe.  He will start off slow increasing the species he offers over time.

To start,  He will be offering Boxwood, Cherry and Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  Joe is the guy who currently mills all of my wood for Syren Ship Model.  He has decided to open up to everyone.  He also has some swiss Pear coming soon. 

He is finalizing the website and I will announce when he opens.  No online store as its going to be very similar to Jeff at Hobbymill.  You send Joe an email with what you need and he will give you a price.  You pay via PayPal and he lets you know when the order ships.  At least for now anyway.

Joe is a really nice guy and mills with precision.  I am very happy with his product and if you ever bought wood from me then you have seen his work.

I encourage you to give him a try once he opens.

Fantastic News!    Thank you Chuck as you no doubt played some role in cultivating this new resource for the good of us all!   

Once he gets going he will join MSW as a member so he can get to know his customers.  I will keep giving updates.

Thanks Chuck and to Joe.   This product line has been sorely missed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That’s great news.

A price list would be helpful, even if it’s a .pdf we can download from his MSW account. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Chuck and Joe!!!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck and Joe, that is great news and a missing resource for many of us.

As I have purchased some sheets from Chuck and the quality of the wood.

I am very happy to buy from Joe in near future.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

A bunch of people were PMing me about what he will offer.....I have this from his website under development.....wood sheets.  He is starting with just these three species as he is awaiting delivery of others like Swiss Pear and Walnut etc.   As he gets organized and gets the other stuff I will let you know.   I asked him to sign up here and he will be a sponsor of MSW too.....just takes time to get it all off the ground.

image.png

and strips will be for sale....

image.png

So all those folks who were reluctant to sign up for the Winnie project because you couldnt mill your own strips.   This should solve that issue.  Its gonna be a week or so before he opens up for orders.

Chuck

Thanks for helping him with this Chuck. Hopefully those of us who miss the Hobby Mill and his successor will have a great new source. Has he mentioned if he will be carrying holly as well? hard to find clear, white holly these days.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I am helping him look for it but other than Domex its hard to find folks selling raw billets thicker than 1”.  This is problematic.  And when you do it is selling for $65 to $75 a board ft.  With no guarantee it will be white like we expect.  So the search continues.

so for Holly it will be the last thing he probably sources and mills.  Prices are crazy.

Joe is all set up and ready to go.   Here is his website.  He should have Swiss Pear in a couple of weeks.  But for now....Boxwood, Yellow Cedar and Cherry.   Contact him for stripwood needs.

http://www.modelerssawmill.com/

Joe will be coming onboard as a sponsor real soon....so look for his banner. He has signed up as a member as well.   If you need to send him a PM.

His username is "Joe V"

Chuck

This is good news. I may have to stock up. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

This is fantastic news!

I am going to buy the wood kit for the Cheerful this week and if I cannot cut the planks myself I sure will be putting in an order. 

Prices look great also.

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

Thats great.  Thank You.   He has the list of wood required for the Cheerful wood packages.  So if you want the pre-milled strips for the model in the Option B wood package....you can order it from him.  Because he can do that now, I am even go to go back to offering an all Boxwood Cheerful starter package.   You will be able to buy the parts all in Boxwood once again and get both the wood packages in Boxwood from Joe.

That will be in stock next week sometime.  He will start keeping lists of what is needed for all of my Syren projects for the strips needed and even other kit MFG's.

Chuck

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

This is good news. I may have to stock up. 

I think there may be a lot of stocking up😀. Myself included. Although I will be waiting a little while, mine is not urgent.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

31 minutes ago, Thistle17 said:

Now having said that would you consider Winchelsea in boxwood?

I doubt anyone would want to pay for that.  The biggest issue is laser cutting the thicker boxwood.  Its not easy using a 75 watt laser.  The laser kerf is too thick and lots of burning.  The Cheerful is easier because most of all the parts are laser cut from thinner boxwood sheets easier to laser cut. 

It would end up costing someone well over $2000 - $2500 to build it in boxwood because its so big.

so probably not.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

go back to offering an all Boxwood Cheerful starter package.   

If only a year ago. Maybe I should build her again😁

Regards,

Glenn

Hey guys just want to introduce myself and say hello. I'm a friend of Chuck's and been doing some work for him and now I'm going to be branching out.

I don't want to step on any toes till I become a sponsor. But if you have any questions follow the link and email me.

Oops, I failed to mention I am now taking orders.

Thanks,

Joe

http://www.modelerssawmill.com/

Edited by Joe V

Hi Joe, I just paid attention to your website.  Great information. I bid you luck on your new venture, even though it sounds like you have been doing this for a good time.

I know you will be busy with orders coming in.

Are you to create wood packages for some of Chucks designs? 

I.e Syren, this as I have noticed mice has had a great time in my box....🤔 

Thank you for your service!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

2 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Hi Joe, I just paid attention to your website.  Great information. I bid you luck on your new venture, even though it sounds like you have been doing this for a good time.

I know you will be busy with orders coming in.

Are you to create wood packages for some of Chucks designs? 

I.e Syren, this as I have noticed mice has had a great time in my box....🤔 

Thank you for your service!

I will be making wood packages for Chucks designs I just need to finalize it with Chuck.

Great to see you up and running Joe. I’m sure you are going to be kept extremely busy in your new venture - a nice problem to have! Best wishes for every success.

So exited!

Ordered a cut wood kit from Joe for the Cheerful build. I don't have a table saw so this is great for me.

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really impressed with the quick service and quality of the wood from Joe’s Modeler’s Sawmill!

I purchased some boxwood of various thicknesses just to have on hand. I’m too far along with Cheerful to make much use of it but just for the joy of working with boxwood I made the two yards from what I bought. 

Really excellent quality wood!

I’d encourage everyone just to buy some stock to help get Joe’s business off the ground. Most of us know how much we miss Hobbymill, let’s contribute to keeping a great source in Modeler’ Sawmill. 

I’m so tempted to build ‘Surly,’ paint it blue and make it from boxwood. 😜

Regards,

Glenn

Ahoy Mates

Just got my Order from Joe today in the mail. 3/16 sq. and 5/32X 1/8 boxwood strips,m quantitys of 20 pcs and 30 pcs. All the same and of excellent quaity wood. Thanks Joe   . Fast service and got acroos the country in a week. From JN to Oregon. Mine are for the cross beams on my Confederacy and other builds.

Keith and Boris