Old / Newby

Hi Guys,  My name is Tony Mobbs and my user name is mobbsie, I am currently a member of the forum but unfortunately fell by the wayside for various reasons, well for me its time to rejoin the fold and meet up with old friends again.  Previous builds are, Agamemnon, HMS Pickle, Bomb Vessel Granado, Viking longboat, Louise Steam Launch and a host of other ships. 

I don't have a build log at the moment but fully intend to if allowed, I say if allowed because I don't know if the regulators will accept me back into the forum, I hope they do.

My ambition is to build the HMS Surprise from Master and Commander fame, I'm awaiting the final development from Caldercraft, it's been several years in the development stage so should be near readiness, i'll have to contact John again.

Hopefully I'll be remembered by my friends and accepted back.  

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks B.E. its been awhile, feels good to be back.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Leave the bad things behind and welcome the present, glad your back with us Mobbsie.

I sincerely hope for Caldercraft's issue related to your project as it is quite on the Caldercraftfront or am I mistaken ?

What about their 74 ?

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Welcome back, I've been away for ten years and it wasn't held against me! 😆

Like you I would dearly have loved to see Caldercraft release their HMS Surprise (as a huge fan of the  Patrick O'Brian novels), but it has been quiet on that front for far too long now.  Hopefully Vanguard Models might do her one day?  🙏

Edited by AJohnson

Hi Christian,

Good to hear from you again my old friend, I'm trying to get hold of Jotika now but no reply to my email yet, I dont have the room to build another large ship so it's just the medium size, certainly no more than 38 or a 42 even then they are on the large side. I'll keep you informed as to what is happening with Surprise once I find out.

Regards

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thanks Ajohnson, by what name do I call you or are you happy with what you have. If your interested in the Surprise I will let you know what reply I get, if I get one.

Regards

mobbsie

mobbsie

Tony, nice to meet you. It's always nice when one of the family comes back home.  

Hi Mobbsie

Long time no see - welcome back!

Surprise was always on my wish list however I've given up on JoTiKa's to be ever on the market.

But - have you seen the Sphinx kit Chris Watton is working on?

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20737-chris-watton-and-vanguard-models-news-and-updates/page/43/

She was even a bit smaller than Surprise. With her 20 guns just large enough to be rated at all. But she looks a beauty, wouldn't use to much space and I'm sure Jack Aubrey met her once or twice during his career.

Take care

Peter

Welcome back home, Mobbsie.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Morning one and all,

Thank you all so much for your kind welcome, it's good to be home.

I'm currently building the Beagle, as soon as I get to know what I'm doing on site I will post some photos, I still have a long way to go so there should be plenty to see.

Regards

mobbsie

mobbsie

Peter, 

I checked out Chris Wattons Sphinx, what a lovely looking ship, there's going to be a long que for this kit I think. I cant believe he's going to bin it when he's done. I'll wait and see what's happening with the Surprise first.

Great to be in contact again Peter.

Regards

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hey my old friend - what a pleasure to see you back posting again! It’s been far too long.

I have to agree with what others have said about Chris Watton’s offerings. He really seems to have filled a hole in the market and is delivering what he promises without too much of a delay, despite being a one-man operation. Sphinx does look to be a beauty and it looks like it should be ready by the time you’ve finished Beagle. The added bonus for you is that he’s in the UK, so you won’t have to contend with horrendous shipping fees.

I look forward to following your logs again and enjoying your company here. Welcome Home!

Welcome back!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Have you truly been away?  I think we all have periods when other activities are the focus.  Keeping my eyes peeled for a new build log 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)