Harriet Lane by Organ tech - Model Shipways

I am drilling the holes in the fife rails for the belaying pins - a modified sewing pin works well as a drill for the Britannia metal. The plan shows the foremast fife rail 180 degrees oriented to how I would expect it ( see my photo of the top plan view). I want the haulyards to belay behind the yards so I will place them accordingly. I am not sure why the main mast has a fife rail, but will ask that in the right forum.

21370881-00BE-449A-A647-EA273628FA9C.jpeg

D6A484B4-2C64-4138-8579-66A153944853.jpeg

Edited by Organ tech

I assembled and installed the foremast fife rail. One piece is missing so I used wood. Too bad I spilt the deck under the rail when installing! In this small model, I only noticed it in the photo. I tensioned and belayed the port topgallant halyard to it, after gluing in the foremast at a little too much rake :-(. 

fife rail.jpeg

belayed_top_gallent_port haleyard.jpeg

port topgallent halyard.jpeg

Your work looks very good.  The belaying pin you show next to a penny and the companionway/skylight looks in scale and well proportioned.  Did you make/adjust it, or is it a stock item?  They are so hard to find just right.

Ron

I have glued the deck structure- pilot house in place. The chains, supplied, for staying the funnel are too large to scale so I used the supplied thread, which is too large to scale for any of the rigging. I failed to get the curve on the bottom to conform to the deck. I also added the port side pin rail, not in the plans, as I am adding one or more sails to the formast to hide the out of scale rigging there. I wish I had bought finer thread. The running rigging thread looks better.

38C18031-BE4A-413D-813B-EF3DE1624CFE.jpeg

D20C3A63-CFC5-41AB-AE58-80EB30C4C483.jpeg

Edited by Organ tech

The lower shrouds need to be in place before I belay the foremast clew and buntlines, so before adding the square sales, I am making the 22 lower shrouds for both masts. The buntlines and clewlines will pass through a guide, fastened low on the shrouds. Since my rail is thin file folder cardboard, for authentic scale, I am faking in a thick spot in wood, to be painted black, to seat the shrouds. Another “invention” for this model.

B29BC62A-D931-42EC-A2A7-A30D224D600F.jpeg