Santa Maria by Knocklouder - FINISHED - Amati - 1:65

First Wooden Ship Model

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

47 minutes ago, Bob M said:

First Wooden Ship Model

working on getting all this set up got cataract surgery at the end of June  right now cant see the little parts lol but starting in July 

Edited by Bob M

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Good luck with the surgery, Bob. Good to see you've started a build log even if you have to wait a bit to start the build itself. I'll be following with interest (this period is one of my main passions).

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

HI All, If you thought I was going to wait six weeks before I started my Ship think again LOL yes I started and this is my  first planking so I was bound to make mistakes.  SO far I broke six planks, but getting the hang of it. Started at the Garboard on one side had some difficulty SO on the other side will stated mid ship .It going really well I use an iron and curve the planks lots of clamps , and like I heard here you got to do it to learn. Here is my ship yard and some pictures of what I have done so far. I know one thing for sure waiting till after eye opp. to do the second layer. It is so much fun building it will most likely to change my mined once rigging starts LOL    Anyway that's my boat send you a picture when I am done the first planking layer. this is my ship yard

198999905_352612206215177_3659357033014967919_n.jpg

Lap top in hand cast off lol. Its been fun.

199157651_150817897036479_4461330789724363162_n.jpg

a few more this is what I have done so far

198672810_962887754546840_5961752701624678274_n.jpg

192481045_950611469047064_8264148115092178957_n (1).jpg

199284424_152544576868679_267160947489365529_n.jpg

Bob, that's a very nice piece of work.  I feel I ought to comment, though, that the planking layout recommended by the kit manufacturer isn't how it was done in the real world.

Not suggesting you pull everything apart and start again, but as your model looks like a double-planked model, for your second layer of planking you might like to consider this link

which goes through the steps of duplicating the planking layout used in actual practice.

It is more complex than the way the kit manufacturer says to do it, and you may decide to stick with what you're already doing. That is totally ok. It's your model, and you have every right to do it however you wish.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you feel it might be worthwhile.

The vessels of this period are a favourite of mine, and I always love to see another one being built. Keep up the good work.

Steven

2 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Bob, that's a very nice piece of work.  I feel I ought to comment, though, that the planking layout recommended by the kit manufacturer isn't how it was done in the real world.

Not suggesting you pull everything apart and start again, but as your model looks like a double-planked model, for your second layer of planking you might like to consider this link

which goes through the steps of duplicating the planking layout used in actual practice.

It is more complex than the way the kit manufacturer says to do it, and you may decide to stick with what you're already doing. That is totally ok. It's your model, and you have every right to do it however you wish.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you feel it might be worthwhile.

The vessels of this period are a favourite of mine, and I always love to see another one being built. Keep up the good work.

Steven

Thanks, It is double planked thank God LOL I will surley look at that page I have message several members but no reply but I am not sure how this message thing works thanks again

Hi Bob. I was hoping I wasn't coming across as nitpicking. I think what you've done so far is very good and if I could just nudge a little in the direction of better accuracy - in time to give you the option, rather than after it was too late - that's really all I was trying to do.

Regarding messages, if you're using the system correctly (the pair of "speech balloons at the top of the page), the person addressed needs to notice that there's a message addressed to him/her (it comes up as a notification on their page) before they reply. They may not have been on MSW for quite some time, or just not look at the top of the page, or whatever . . . But most people do reply when they see the message.

Steven

21 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi Bob. I was hoping I wasn't coming across as nitpicking. I think what you've done so far is very good and if I could just nudge a little in the direction of better accuracy - in time to give you the option, rather than after it was too late - that's really all I was trying to do.

Regarding messages, if you're using the system correctly (the pair of "speech balloons at the top of the page), the person addressed needs to notice that there's a message addressed to him/her (it comes up as a notification on their page) before they reply. They may not have been on MSW for quite some time, or just not look at the top of the page, or whatever . . . But most people do reply when they see the message.

Steven

HI no I thought the kit was the way they did back then but now that I am done the first planking sorry I am not taking it off On my next ship I will do it right lol As far as he messages go I think I never enter an email address so no wonder no one replied lol or they are old post some weir from2020 and 2019.

On 6/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, Bob M said:

HI no I thought the kit was the way they did back then but now that I am done the first planking sorry I am not taking it off On my next ship I will do it right lol As far as he messages go I think I never enter an email address so no wonder no one replied lol or they are old post some weir from2020 and 2019.

Hi Just wanted to thank you for that link about planking. As I have done the first lay I leave it. But on the last layer I think I go with the link thanks so much.

It is harder than doing it the way the kit manufacturers recommend. I stuffed up royally the first time I tried it on my Great Harry - but with time and persistence (and removing planks and re-doing it a couple of times) I got there in the end.

Not a perfect job, but it set me up to do a better job on my next model.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

SHIP WREAK. A question all newbies ask I am sure were did I go wrong. LOL .    lol Did some more work on this ship and like most newbies should have looked at the forms here a lot longer. It is my ship and will look different  than others I see here  but the great job others have done here makes me not want show mine but what can you do lol [will take pictures of my mistakes and how I fixed them later lol] . Anyway  have not decided how to second plank the hull but did some top work. made the decks and a set of stairs . I never cut the deck just fitted it the glued it in went well I think , now it looks like I will have to add some more I think I know a way to do that. Well get the other eye operation tomorrow so it will be a week before the hull planking begins.    PS from now on will be following the forms a lot more closely ,especially those of LAPINAS and EMMET two very fine build logs with great ideals.

203598293_344864293869901_4527987675758764289_n.jpg

Edited by Bob M
spelling correction

198271510_421802272133431_6541285817789449171_n.jpg

202356888_135598765313683_3050652527226106964_n.jpg

200818786_330399345244613_1631080054128811037_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bob M said:

SHIP WREAK. A question all newbies ask I am sure were did I go wrong. LOL .    lol Did some more work on this ship and like most newbies should have looked at the forms here a lot longer. It is my ship and will look different  than others I see here  but the great job others have done here makes me not want show mine but what can you do lol [will take pictures of my mistakes and how I fixed them later lol] . Anyway  have not decided how to second plank the hull but did some top work. made the decks and a set of stairs . I never cut the deck just fitted it the glued it in went well I think , now it looks like I will have to add some more I think I know a way to do that. Well get the other eye operation tomorrow so it will be a week before the hull planking begins.    PS from now on will be following the forms a lot more closely ,especially those of LAPINAS and EMMET two very fine build logs with great ideals.

203598293_344864293869901_4527987675758764289_n.jpg

This is all I have done so far, the rest has to wait till I can see lol, hope when I do I don't  take it all apart and start over LOL  not.  Any way that's it till when ever lol

202545416_801915790712411_2405501195277262858_n (1).jpg

202057160_1491806441154542_6153848261763365561_n.jpg

196724532_220596639880906_1968777605934521151_n.jpg

14 hours ago, Bob M said:

the great job others have done here makes me not want show mine but what can you do lol [will take pictures of my mistakes and how I fixed them later lol

Nope - seeing the mistakes - and how you overcame them - may help someone else in a similar position. We've all been there at some point or another. The experienced modellers just make more interesting mistakes. And of course it's all a learning process - you'll do better with the next model , and better still with the one after it . . .

You're right to take your time with the second planking. It's not a race.

Good luck with the eye op.

By the way, are you planning to plank over the plastic hull of the ship's boat down the track? I've seen it done on other models and it really lifts the look of the model.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

• 4 months later...

Well its been awhile but I have been busy, life has thrown a few curve balls but that's life. I fixed the floor problem  and the holes in the side of the ship, The instructions are hard to follow and I have glued the wrong size lumber on the side and for the wall.  Oh well. it will look good when I finish it lol. I have lost some of my pics of the problems I had but enjoyed fixing them.  Here is were I stand now. Plus ,I had to move the shipyard from upstairs to the basement, will be doing more as winter is here, snowing really good today LOL.   The first pic is my new shipyard .  # 2 is what I have done at the back of the ship.  #3 is a side view .

boat 4.jpg

boat 5.jpg

boat 3.jpg

Nicely organised shipyard, and that model is really starting to look good.

Regarding mistakes; we all make them, but fortunately wood is a very forgiving medium, so a lot of the time you can repair your mistakes. And if not, a lot of the time the mistakes are only visible to you, not to anybody else. And every time you make a mistake you learn something for next time.

Keep up the good work, mate.

Steven

• 6 months later...

Some updates on my ship. I only get to work on my ship from time to time ,real work steps in, but making progress . Got most of the outer ship done a bit here and there, working on the ladders ,water pump, anchors ,fences ,thing like that. This has been so much fun really starting to enjoy this, cant wait to do the rigging lol more pictures to follow. It is starting to get easier, following  other builds a lot more closely lol. Great builds with pictures to make it easier thanks so much.        The following pictures are what I have done                                        ,Open photoOpen photoOpen photoOpen photo

Made one set of stairs so far lots of little thing to put together ,pretty sure I am hooked for life on building ship , soon as this one done on to the other two La Pinta and La Nina lol

anchor.thumb.jpg.d7f9ed4270fd7b2484c88d081f219391.jpgstand.thumb.jpg.50c882d578295c30a900ddb259c767af.jpgWell after I made the stairs I  well I made the stairs then painted them and installed them then anchors ,some door frame and the rudder, eagle head then the stand. Had some problems with the rudder nails seem a bit big but just going to cut the tops off and glue them on. The stand cost 12 bucks plus 2 bucks each for the little dowels . Not bad I like it, now going to build fences, and masts, and a whole bunch of little tiny block and tackle looking  thingies. Tiny little  eye hooks and the life boat, going to cover that with wood . But I got lots to do before I can get back to it But I am hooked so I sneak some model time in LOL 

13449194_eaglehead.thumb.jpg.6f7a7cebc8946e6bc621e1872c1b0e50.jpg

stairs.jpg

Thanks everyone  such info on these pages, it makes it fun to see other ideas,  and be able to use that info because the instructions are in Italian and the picture on the box does not line up with the pictures in  the books that came with it ,LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all did a bit more ,made the life boat; it was not that bad bent the keel, is that the right word lol then bent the side yellow rails then planked it stain varnished it for me its really nice, got the idea  from a page here.

285007412_1068823174049263_4399702863074629663_n.jpg

285597184_393593619474831_5165599493872309179_n.jpg

285591538_532583238448579_2091034800775778565_n.jpg

was looking on MSW for how to do the sails  I need to look some more, on how to stain them make them look like they are in the wind. Deadeyes are coming along ,I tied them on, but will cut them off because after gluing them on they wont move and cant thread them. So cutting then off and putting back on  with wire .285855278_1031989717456199_2460568144925652625_n.thumb.jpg.137ba31b223c51214a122697f9b865a4.jpg

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒