2 hours ago, dvm27 said:

I'll bet mine is a lot bigger than yours!

Time for a "who's got the bigger scarp pile" fight?   :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahh, I think having a lot of scraps in your scrap box doesn't necessarily mean you make more mistakes.  (Though it's true in my case!)   I think it can also be directly proportional to how much of a perfectionist you are!

Ok guys with a bigger scrap box which I have and it's over flowing what is one to do with all the small little pieces of wood???  O I know send it to you  guys and let you figure that one out. You guys are talking about who has the biggest one right? 🤪

Edited by garyshipwright

When my box gets full, I take the small pieces to the fireplace for kindling.  The larger ones go back in the box just in case.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, rlb said:

I am embarking on a new build.   I had thought to not start another until I finished Oneida, but progress is going slow on her, and I am not getting any younger!  Since Oneida is getting near the rigging stage, perhaps going back and forth between hull work on Euryalus, and rigging on Oneida, will keep my interest up in both.

I am building a proper layout board, and this is the extent of my progress to date!   It's not finished, and the framing guide is not fastened down yet.

2015630565_Euryalus20210528ABoard.JPG.2366f661cf5d30b89f3f8c9dbe77b910.JPG

1647310011_Euryalus20210528BBoard.JPG.39f40f3b473497f0d6299f316dc99770.JPG

1616504794_Euryalus20210528CBoard.JPG.0b60a5c26dac73c8cce3a2b4d9981987.JPG

It is based on Ed Tosti's Naiad building board, but bigger, as his was for a similar sized ship, but at 1:60 scale.  I understand why the smaller scale.  When I saw the Euryalus plans which are drawn at 1:48, I was quite surprised at the size.  However, I quite like the idea of always building at the same scale, so as my Oneida is 1:48, so also will be my Euryalus.

2054794205_Euryalus20210528DWithOneida.JPG.287e8822fcfae86506e57106bcfe083a.JPG

677788688_Euryalus20210528EWithOneida.JPG.4b0576e9a2805376063094a536d0502f.JPG

As I mentioned, I am rigging Oneida, but I have no plans to rig Euryalus.  I would have no place to put it.

I have one issue, as I begin.   Volume 1 of Euryalus is now sold out, and out of print at Seawatch books.  I have purchased a new Vol. 2, so I have a complete set of the second volume drawings, but I am missing some drawings from Volume 1.  I am wondering if anyone out there, who owns Volume 1 would allow me to copy the ones I am missing--I believe the ones I need are #6 Body; Bow Pieces; Rudder; Cross Section, and #13 Beam Patterns; Stern Timbers.  Or, if you own Volume 1 (with all the drawings) and do not think you want to keep it.....

If the book was still in print I would, of course, purchase it and support the authors, Allan Yedlinsky and Wayne Kempson; and Seawatch books.  Allan and Wayne have been very helpful to me in getting off the ground (off the ways?).  I just need to get copies of those missing drawings!  PM me if you can help.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I know this post is from last year, but as the new owner of SeaWatch I wanted to let you know I am planning on reprinting Vol I - it just may be a few more months given some new titles coming out. That said, let me know if I can help you on the plans front if you haven't gotten an older copy yet.

Mike

22 hours ago, SeaWatch Books said:

Hi Ron,

I know this post is from last year, but as the new owner of SeaWatch I wanted to let you know I am planning on reprinting Vol I - it just may be a few more months given some new titles coming out. That said, let me know if I can help you on the plans front if you haven't gotten an older copy yet.

Mike

That's great news Mike.  With Allan's and Wayne's help I was able to get pdfs of the plans.  And I'll order the book as soon as it's available!

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, SeaWatch Books said:

Hi Ron,

Mike

@SeaWatch Books - I’ve been looking at the HMS Naiad books on your website and following up on your reply above do you know when you will have Vol 2 available, ditto for Vol 1 of the HMS EURYALUS book? Being located in the UK it would be cost effective to buy both volumes of either the Naiad or the Euryalus books in terms of shipping as shipping is around $50 for one book 😲. Thanks Iain.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

It's been since last July that I've done any building on Euryalus.  When the 3rd attempt at the bollard and hawse timbers turned out to be a failure, I walked away, and I've only just in the last week or so had the motivation to try again.

So here I am--

801166044_Euryalus20230121A.JPG.5bf476d2a90273d6b023d5ce9d305c73.JPG 

As far as I can tell, the 2nd attempt at the port bollard/hawse timbers was okay.  I was lucky I think.  It's the starboard ones that have given me fits.  Here is a fourth batch cut out, roughly shaped, and stacked on the board.  During fitting, they seem good.  I am doing a first pass at sanding the partial gaps in them.  I'm not very confident yet with my Byrne's saw skill, so I'm still doing the gaps by hand.

I'm also starting to cut out the rising wood pieces.  I tried initially to use my rotary tool as a milling machine, to cut the notches, but the vertical adjustment is too imprecise and difficult get a consistent result with, so I'm doing the frame notches by hand, using a saw, small chisel, and file.  I've broken one corner, but I'll repair it and any other that may get "chipped" at some point--

556871943_Euryalus20230121B.JPG.db00e3aac9445247022098bcb7ae3dbb.JPG

Another task is slowly working on cutting out and assembling the frames.  First rough cut the pieces, then cut and chisel out the chock notches, glue up the frames without chocks, then shape and glue in the chocks.  I have all the forward cant frames at various stages of assembly--

2040709774_Euryalus20230121C.JPG.2a188b311c0053e928fda5636916928c.JPG

Ron 

Edited by rlb

Ah, so that's the reason for the absence. Don't think that we didn't notice 😉

Makes sense of course. Better to walk away than doing something irreversible stupid.

Hm, they say the bollards and the stern timbers are some of the hardest parts to figure out. But on the bright side, when you have mastered it, you have taken a step up the skill stairs 😉 

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Often hand tools are better unless one is a genius machinist! Most of us have repeatedly failed with bollard and hawse timbers, as well as cant frames. I certainly did in my first fully framed hull! Stay the course and you will succeed.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good to see you back, Ron.   I'm total agreement with Håkan on walking away.  So don't feel bad as a break is a good thing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Keep at it, you have a ton of support and supporters here at MSW.  I find if I need a respite for any reason, it is good to maybe get into the deck furniture or boats or some such for a particular build.  Keeps the project moving along nicely and eases the frustration at the same time.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!  It is very appreciated.

I carry on.

Here are the two sets of bollard/hawse timbers spot glued to the stem.  As I previously wrote, the port set seem to be okay, and the starboard set was the trouble.   This set looked like it was going to work out--

1945832969_Euryalus20230124A.JPG.89f2363274acb129b7bd6d802b6cd11e.JPG 

However, after removing them, and doing some more rough shaping, I discovered that the second hawse timber out was not okay.   I unglued it, and cut a new one, very oversized, to replace it--

1601543398_Euryalus20230124B.JPG.78b810a22789126e8512fbd21c7aba95.JPG

776190051_Euryalus20230124C.JPG.7b0f91e258c918db43eb736218484001.JPG

1987759636_Euryalus20230124D.JPG.95735787c3c957a78600271bdc2388aa.JPG

I spot glued this one in place, and rough shaped the assembly--

61628904_Euryalus20230124E.JPG.2a0afa9d509ae09149e062a90f04ee0d.JPG

723515645_Euryalus20230124F.JPG.cdf274e7f5a520e60fa9cc66fab9343b.JPG

Though these are FAR from perfect, and still require plenty of fairing, I pray that they are sufficient; though I will not be surprised to find out farther down the line that they have problems! 

2062789739_Euryalus20230124G.JPG.ef59fd2332c4e5e25f9e2bbaad2df9bd.JPG

They will not be permanently glued into place until I have more of the forward framing done. 

Ron 

Edited by rlb

This looks amazing Ron - maybe not perfect, but amazing!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Very nice work Ron, it’s coming along very well!

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for looking in, commenting, and liking!   

It's been a while since my last posting, but I have been spending time in the shipyard.   I have been slowly cutting out and gluing up the first full frame pair,Q-(f)orward and (a)ft, and all the rest of the pairs of forward cant frames.  Z was already done so that's R through Y (f and a for each).   

The last two are here.  They just happen to be Uf and Sa.  I did them mostly in order, but these were a couple of stragglers.  Their chocks are cut and ready to glue in--

Euryalus20230301A.JPG.7d30cf8681199023b67b2335880640fc.JPG

And the backsides, as the chocks are being glued.  The slight angle on the clamping of the clothespins works well with the angle of the chocks since they don't sit square in the frames--

Euryalus20230301B.JPG.62a53b6e90336bd12d307856b1325ea4.JPG

Here's the stack of frames.  After gluing the chocks in, each frame was given a rough inner and outer bevel, still leaving them plenty full, to allow for some minor inaccuracy in the shape of the frames, and for fairing.  The chocks have been sanded down almost flush.  The angle to the deadwood has been sanded in, which is different for almost all of them.  Next, the paper needs to be removed from the frames, the frames marked for identification, and then the canted chocks sanded flush with the faces of the frames--

Euryalus20230301C.JPG.dbe8d0ec122df0ac8cf08f43356c3619.JPG

And here is the forwardmost full frame, and the forward cant frames with paper removed (still some bits around some of the chocks); chocks ready to be sanded smooth--

Euryalus20230301E.JPG.c4d284c1e975cf4e727a4261a17bc3ba.JPG

Euryalus20230301D.JPG.733027ed2e99f1f9fd45223daf401cb8.JPG

This is an exciting point for me!   Soon I'll be ready to put the forward frames on the keel, including the bollard/hawse timbers, and see the bow take shape.

Ron

Edited by rlb

I cannot tell if you are doing this from the photos, but I like to print a second page for each frame and then set the pieces on the drawing and hold them down with scrap weights to be sure they are exactly right when gluing them together.  (page 57 of volume 1)

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU