USF Confederacy 1778 by WalrusGuy - Model Shipways - 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Bob!

Currently working on the decking. Here are some few progress photos 😊:

image.thumb.jpeg.c3c9761a99ceba06fddd004a78dcee22.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9fde4ad405b1382e9fa6776286919a98.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7644cbfc148f577fd3e294126a0d725.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4aa955ee45f0f18bba535ff090d6d29b.jpeg

Also, I was thinking of exploring more ideas for the checkerboard pattern. I am worried that any small mishaps or stains (like glue seepage or paint droplets) on the printed cardstock may be hard to remove since it is very porous just like paper. Might test out label paper..

Harshil

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Hello Harshil, 

once again, very clean work!

Yes, one has to be very careful once the cabin floor is finished, and later on there are two cannons and possibly furniture to be positioned and glued.....

Did you print the pattern directly on the card? I printed it on self-adhesive paper (is this what you mean with label paper?)

Werner 

1 hour ago, wernerweiss said:

Hello Harshil, 

once again, very clean work!

Yes, one has to be very careful once the cabin floor is finished, and later on there are two cannons and possibly furniture to be positioned and glued.....

Did you print the pattern directly on the card? I printed it on self-adhesive paper (is this what you mean with label paper?)

Werner 

Thank you, Werner! 

Yes, printed directly on card stock and glued to to a thin sheet of wood. And yes, I did mean the self-adhesive paper. Is the surface of the self-adhesive paper similar to normal paper? 

Harshil

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

5 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

Thank you, Werner! 

Yes, printed directly on card stock and glued to to a thin sheet of wood. And yes, I did mean the self-adhesive paper. Is the surface of the self-adhesive paper similar to normal paper? 

Harshil

Yes, it is. Exactly, I had the pattern printed on a normal A4 paper sheet with a peelable back in a copyshop so I could glue the pattern on a piece of ca. 1,5 mm thick card. So I did not use a wood layer and glued the card directly on the false deck.

Edited by wernerweiss
additional text

No worries Werner. I'll be sure to be very careful when the tiles are glued to the false deck. I plan to glue it once I finish with the treenails and apply the finish to the deck. 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

A quick update on the decking. Managed to get some hook scarfs at the bow.

For this, I used a planer for the long end, and an X-acto blade at the forward-end of the plank where the planer could not reach. Then carefully peeled of 0.1mm slices until the plank was completely flat. I checked the end result against a normal plank facing a source of light to make sure no light seeps in any potential gap. In some cases where light did seep in, I used sandpaper glued to the edge of a flat piece of wood and lightly sanded it straight. 

image.thumb.png.519d9444ef52de40bb63ebddce1d49b5.png

image.thumb.jpeg.bfbb4d1064a73dc959089ae6526e3d8b.jpeg

Harshil

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Thank you all for the likes!! 

Decking is now completed 😁

There are some mistakes with symmetry, especially for the edge planks. That made me realize, it would be best to plan ahead of time and mark the plank locations (similar to the hull). I also had to redo the aft planks as I realized I did not follow the same pattern as the forward part of the ship. But glad I found that before it was too late!

Before I forget to mention, I spot glued this plank to make sure the decking would be flush with the great cabin

image.thumb.jpeg.fd49939d4fc73a70cb7b2a73e8756456.jpeg

And here are some photos of this stage completed.

image.thumb.jpeg.7f0a39e3a76cd466357be50e3697f363.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6750bc264f165561b3b09c0b9c37f173.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.521e5a15b4be985ee44a29d2bba5c64e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bab29d0ca22e046ea448f0d0e68ab113.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b5d42d84088ff930a7a72ff730f56242.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e1bce73428c1bebcd48a5d4d718c193.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7eee3b42b202e79c50f06b49e7b9427a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d4bd0128a7dad1416221dae4c62b2b6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0911b1a20296b5bc164a13d94a4d0b42.jpeg

Next is the treenails, waterway, and then lastly finishing with tung oil.

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Walrusguy,

I’ve been closely following your fantastic log and applaud your talents and efforts! Quick question for ya (perhaps Chuck can chime in also). I’m a big fan of Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC), because of its wonderful color and workability. The question is, do you think that using thinner 1/32 thick planks instead of 1/16 thick planks is doable? Thanks for your thoughts!

Best Regards …. Rick

Thank you Steven, David, and Rick! Your comments are much appreciated :)

I think using thinner planks should be doable, but some adjustments should be made for the wales, and decking (since the gunports would be slightly higher from the deck level with thinner planks). 

But curious to hear what @Chuck thinks.

Harshil

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

For deck planking on top of a base false deck it would be fine.  Being just a hair thinner shouldnt effect the gun height too much.  But it wouldnt work for hull planking unless you plank two layers.  They are too thin for use on a single planked hull.  Hull planking on a pob hull with thin 1/32 planks is not a good idea unless you fill all the spaces between bulkheads with balsa to make it solid.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update! I finished treenailing the deck, installing the waterway, and have stained everything with tung oil. I shaped the waterway to be in a convex shape using a planer and sanding sticks. I have not yet glued any of the deck fittings in case they come in the way when installing the ladder etc.

Here are some photos of where the model is at currently:

image.thumb.jpeg.b7163fb58c2921529b355b10ae60ff9d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7ff45247815ae37c1d8cd0aff28554e5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dbfebe8aab08f3a821e21f2b408252f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c80ffc3132b12132f9de28d0dd7220f3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e36ec2a0411de2cf3eb5a607b7a4cb37.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca29ec5bce99ee261f06dfac3f5af2fd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ccf9d668b91eef7e90dc6a378a14d1f6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.300b40d31b14f39ad4ce7f29c60043a2.jpeg

The next step would be to paint the margin plank + waterway in the great cabin white before gluing the checkerboard pattern. In the meantime, I will also continue thinking of different options for the checkerboard pattern as I am not too confident that I can keep the printed card stock pristine throughout the whole build...

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Hello Harshil, 

Congratulations on this progress, excellent work as always!

Yes, you have to be very careful not to spoil the great cabin' s deck with its pattern.....but so it is with the much bigger area of the gun deck, the basswood is very soft and does not forgive tools falling on it, but, as modelers we ARE careful..

I am going to update my Confederacy build log soon showing the progress of the forecastle deck and the bow stem

Greetings 

Werner

Edited by wernerweiss
writing fault

20 hours ago, wernerweiss said:

Hello Harshil, 

Congratulations on this progress, excellent work as always!

Yes, you have to be very careful not to spoil the great cabin' s deck with its pattern.....but so it is with the much bigger area of the gun deck, the basswood is very soft and does not forgive tools falling on it, but, as modelers we ARE careful..

I am going to update my Confederacy build log soon showing the progress of the forecastle deck and the bow stem

Greetings 

Werner

Thank you, Werner. After correspondence with Chuck, I think the best option would be to glue in the pattern section, then covering it with paper to protect it until its time to install the guns. 

Looking forward to seeing your update post 😁

Thanks again for the nice words and thanks all for the likes! 

Harshil 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

The checkerboard pattern is now glued to the false deck 😬

Fingers crossed I don't mess it up during the build. I'll try to be as careful as I can. Also, I hope the stick glue I used to bond the card stock onto the thin basswood sheet would hold up over the years. So far it seems good, but let's see....

Anyways, below are some photos. I guess this marks the completion of Chapter 10!

image.thumb.jpeg.0a942fb884de52039758a240c7052d9e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b3bd03bc2a47a959e0f779ccfa9c5d8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1bba15deac0bb596cfc285bf750f95fb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.953903f9c3e66ea3decf520ec85bfc31.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.261ddf15f791b9267a3e3923062e7608.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.abd412ad7e389c6021ede9ffc990ffce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5561718d4470c4b33109bccbba53d648.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91f30b0200076204b29aacdb1623be87.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c4432463336d48f07efd36bf5db364d2.jpeg

For the next step, I am thinking to backtrack to finish up the stern. Hoping I can get better at the carvings this time around!

Harshil

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Thank you, Werner. Thanks all for the likes as well 😊

A bit of a shorter update. I was not very happy with the kit supplied window frames. They did not fit well on model for some reason. I am not sure why as I did check their fit during the initial framing stage of the build. Also, they had some notches on the sides (not sure why it has these).

image.thumb.jpeg.bbb843b3ca4eb532b5ffcf3471677a35.jpeg

So decided to try building my own ones. While working on them, I did think I may have taken on more than I can chew... 

However, I thought it would be best to take some time off and think about this problem for a bit and tackle it more systematically. So, first I made a simple jig for my mini planer to glide on the rails to thin down some larger pieces of Alaskan yellow cedar I had laying around:

image.thumb.jpeg.fdf0909e6f4116763d2cefbffef96c80.jpeg

Using this jig, I was able to create relatively square strips (around 0.5mm x 0.5mm):

image.thumb.jpeg.398016a9ff15a193175ade1a1e18ff09.jpeg

Next, I used the kit supplied frame as a reference to notch out sections of strips, then glued them together to make the entire frame assembly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2ac3901a31e52a6fdaa97998d6ed5501.jpeg

Below is just a test piece I made to make sure the method I used can work. The strips are not parallel since I did not pay much attention to the notch placements. The second iteration will be more carefully done to ensure it is better aligned.

image.thumb.jpeg.5830f16333ccab64c6380f33a0bdc4c2.jpeg

And here it is on the ship:

image.thumb.jpeg.2aad7897e22cf41fe40d9ec0ece9ee0b.jpeg

I will use this test piece to try out the Micro Krystal Klear solution as well. 

So next I will redo the frame for better alignment. But I am sure the angled windows will definitely be more challenging.... 

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Hello Harshil, 

I agree that the window frames provided with the kit are not of the best quality, and I see that scratch-building them ist not at all a problem for you....

I accepted the provided frames as they fitted perfectly into the openings. What I did was to order another set of frames (thanks Model shipways) to double the frames of each stern and gallery light with the acetate inbetween. As you may see in the pictures showing the openings for the stern lights I glued a 0.5 x 0.5 mm stripe on the bottom and top edge (not visible) as a rabbet for the inner frames. They were glued first, then the acetate and last the outer frames.

In other build logs of various models I saw pictures where the builder depicted the window glass with micro crystal clear, and I preferred the acetate.....

Regards

Werner

P1020194.JPG

P1020199.JPG

P1020293.JPG

Screenshot (194).png

Great work as always!  You always amaze me.  The checkerboard floor came out real nice.  Some thin plastic over it to protect it for a while would be a smart move.

Loved your tool for creating small square strips with a plane.  I need to learn to make little tools and jigs like that to make things easier.  I tend to just jump in without thinking.  You're braver than I am to make window frames from scratch.  The test window frame looks pretty good from the photos.  No matter which window frames you use, you may end up having to add shims or something to get the proper fit.

I think it's personal preference whether you use the Micro film or thin acetate sheets for windows.  Or you can be a wimp and not use anything like on my models.  Whatever choice you make, it would be nice to be able to see the inside of the cabin with the floor and other items.

David

David Salguero

Wichita, Kansas

Current Build:  Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston - Vanguard Models

Completed:  US Syren - Model Shipways

On Deck:  HM Cheerful - Syren Ship Models

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the kind words and the 'likes'😄

I have been slowly working through the window frames. I finished the portside frames. 

For the angles windows, I used the kit supplied ones as a guide. Here, I glued the two outer strips and used the kit frames to get the right angle by letting the glue set as the strips rest on the edges of the kit piece.. After letting the glue set and doing the same on the opposite corner, the 2 'L' shaped pieces were then glued together, followed by all the internal strips:

image.png.ade282477fce6541d23fdff4e56cef52.png

image.png.55fe230bdd4fb6441927e05cc29dd5da.png

image.png.bae1f39df3d7916189524035690696c6.png

Here are a few photos of how it looks on the ship (only dry-fitted for now):

image.thumb.jpeg.000a6327d471bbf5c7e68bed3210c1c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6b137f8d1ecf8c302b1473a8b75140.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6544121ebe90dc1e648d2d733f82591b.jpeg

I got to say, all this is really really fiddly work. Getting the notches in the correct spots on each strip is very tricky. Had to discard twice as many as those that made the final round!

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Fiddly is hardly the word for your windows!  Absolutely incredible work.  You are moving up to a different level and will be carving figureheads before long.  😄

David Salguero

Wichita, Kansas

Current Build:  Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston - Vanguard Models

Completed:  US Syren - Model Shipways

On Deck:  HM Cheerful - Syren Ship Models

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much, Tom, Kurt, and David!! 

I finished up with the windows! A very tedious task... but I did become quicker in assembling them towards the end.

I tested the micro crystal clear solution for the windows but I wasn't too big of a fan of the frosted window look. So I opted to use the acetate instead. I placed each window frame on the sheet, ran a #11 blade on the outside edges of the frame, lightly marking the acetate. Then I used a metal ruler as a guide to run the blade multiple times until it went through. Finally, I used the micro clear solution as a glue for the frames on the acetate. Here are some photos with the windows+frame dry-fitted in the openings:

image.thumb.jpeg.0a0972833c3054a264c828254c029af9.jpeg

20230409_121851.thumb.jpg.3b66928b82134381e5cbd07c1301524a.jpg

20230409_121840.thumb.jpg.e27c7904afdabf0744aba7d919f583fd.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.eb9e0e2edf8621247824bf0a27c14562.jpeg

image.thumb.png.dfc731fa9789d1afca40a942908eda2a.png

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf: