Colombo Express by Paul Jarman - Revell - Scale 1/700 - PLASTIC- container ship - terminated

Have decided to take a short break from wooden kits and will be building this Revell plastic kit.

It is different from most ship kits. Have never seen a container ship kit before so figured it was worth a go. 

The kit itself is very high quality. There is virtually no flash any where on the parts. Not massively detailed being a container ship. The only real detail is in the ships bridge. Around 70 per cent + of the kit is in the containers. Should look quite colourful when completed.

Paul 

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Need a bit of help with the signature. I linked to the post but it dose not work. When I click on link from another page it goes to the top of whichever post I am reading. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

Paul,

It looks like the link in your signature isn't actually a link, or is a mis-formatted link. When you edit your signature, make sure you select the text you want to serve as the link (such as "Revell container ship Colombo Express", click the link tool (looks like a pair of handcuffs to me and is next to the quotes), and enter the actual link (https://modelshipworld.com/topic/28943-revell-container-ship-colombo-express-scale-1700/) in the URL box. That should result in this: Revell container ship Colombo Express, which is what I think you want.

Have fun with your project!

Edited by Cathead

This will be interesting and intricate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Masking off all the assorted containers, Paul. They really do have all those colors and the stacks are enormous. Used to drive the NJ Turnpike past Port Newark and these ships are immense. Will enjoy following along.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Masking off all the assorted containers, Paul. They really do have all those colors and the stacks are enormous. Used to drive the NJ Turnpike past Port Newark and these ships are immense. Will enjoy following along.

Yes, building,painting,and adding all the decals will certainly test my patience.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

I had forgotten how quickly plastic kits can be built. This level 4 kit is fairly straightforward. The two hull parts went together without any problems. The hull is now painted. It helped that the waterline was marked on the hull. The deck has been painted and fitted. Painting the parts up on the sprues, except fort the containers. There so many to paint up in different colours it will be better to paint them in blocks rather than trying to keep tabs of all the different parts.

Paul

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

main body and the bridge completed. Have not added the PE railings to the bridge. Have picked out all the steps and other details on the bridge. Bit of touching up here and there and some decals to add then on to the containers. Have built the first block and started to paint them up. Each very small square represents a container. Around 140 to each block and 22 blocks in total. So around 2,000 containers to paint up. May take some time. 

I am stopping work on the model for a few weeks as I am about to start redecorating the flat. 

Paul

DSC_9949.JPG

DSC_9961.JPG

DSC_9964.JPG

DSC_9970.JPG

Edited by Paul Jarman

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

• 1 month later...

Had a slight accident whilst decorating. I had put all my models on the floor along with my stash of kits and other smaller items.

Storing all of the large units first and carefuly placing all my kits and models on top of units as I stepped back I stood on the  model.

The damage is far to much to repair so the model  won't get finished. Only redeeming factor is at least it was this model and not one of my wooden one's, they are now safely stored.

As a result if a moderator or admin wishes to delete this build log to free up space feel free to do so.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

Bummer, Paul! Storage space on the forum isn't a problem, so we'll just mark it 'terminated' and hope the next project fares better.

Chin up!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Sorry to hear that, Paul. A very painful event.   I too hope the next project goes well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the thoughts. I did consider buying another model kit as it was just the hull that had suffered but decided not to.

Managed to damage some of my other plastic models as well,but they will be repairable.

Paul

In work

Unfinished kit

Finished

AL-Sanson

That's a real shame, Paul. Hope you don't give up on doing more plastic ships.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

As the others have said Paul, so sorry to hear about your model/s  - we will be here when you are ready to do another build log.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• The title was changed to Colombo Express by Paul Jarman - Revell - Scale 1/700 - PLASTIC- container ship - terminated