2021 NRG Photographic Ship Model Competition Open for Entries

The Board of Directors of the Nautical Research Guild is pleased to announce the 2021 Photographic Ship Model Review & Juried Competition. The last NRG model photo competition was in 2015 (click here to view the winners). 

The competition has been updated to make it easier to submit your photographs. All files will be submitted on-line…no more downloading the files to a DVD or driving to the post office. Entrants will also receive a written review of their model. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded for the First, Second and Third place models in three categories: Apprentice, Journeyman and Master. A Best of Show medal will be awarded to the best Gold medal winner and ribbons will be awarded to models with qualifying points.

The competition is open to Regular Members in good standing of the Nautical Research Guild. If you are not currently a member, join the Guild for as low as $40 and enter the Competition. The fee is only $30 per model entered. Winners will be announced at the Annual Member’s Meeting in the Fall. To view the complete rules and download the Entry Form, click here. The forms are in PDF format and can be read with Adobe Reader. Click here for help with viewing PDF files.

It has been a long time between competitions. You have had plenty of time to build some great models. The Board looks forward to seeing your entries soon.

Click here to learn more about the competition, read the official rules, and submit your entry.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember….entries to the photo competition must be submitted by August 2nd!!! Time is running out so get your model entered soon.

Looking forward to seeing it done.

And to all NRG members, don't forget to submit your photos for the model contest.  A medal or ribbon would look very nice in that display case!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on my submissions and found two potentially confusing errors in the NRG information. I mention them publicly here not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but in case others are confused by these before they can be addressed (knowing that NRG is all-volunteer and can't respond instantly to such things). I'm excited about this contest and the opportunity it provides people to share models that might otherwise never make it into physical contests due to travel-based obstacles.

First, on the Instructions page (https://thenrg.org/contests/instructions), the link to pay the entry fee (https://thenrgstore.org/products/2021-model- competition-entry) is mis-formatted: look carefully and you'll see a space after the hyphen between "model" and "competition". This returns (https://thenrgstore.org/products/2021-model-%20competition-entry) which throws a 404 error. If the user manually removes the space, so the link correctly reads (https://thenrgstore.org/products/2021-model-competition-entry), it works fine, but many of our members are not computer-savvy enough to recognize this fix on their own. 

Second, there are conflicting guidelines on how to name photos. The Competition Rules page (https://thenrg.org/contests/rules) suggests the format "HMS Victory–bow quarter.jpg" but the Instructions page (https://thenrg.org/contests/instructions) says that files need to be in the  format "ModelNameBowPortQtr.jpg". This is needlessly confusing and I hope NRG wouldn't reject either approach as both are clear, but it would be best to decide on a consistent requirement. 

Don't worry about the names for the photos - one needs the model name and the view - per the list of required photos. 

Make sure you have renamed the photos to match one of the naming descriptions Eric mentions above - from what your files list it as - a bunch of numbers that might include your name.

I am forwarding Eric's post to our web master to check out and fix.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It appears the link has been fixed - I just tried it and it worked fine.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It's still doing it for me. I just reloaded the Instructions page to be sure. It's the "Pay the $30 entry fee for each model by clicking here" line that still throws an error.

OK.  I will pass this on.  Thanks Eric.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Can someone confirm that submissions as late as the evening of August 1st PST would still be eligible?  Thanks.   

I am the contest administrator.  As stated in the contest rules, "[a]ll completed entries and payment must be received not later than August 1, 2021."  An entry is timely if payment is received by NRG and entry forms and photographs are delivered to me by 11:59 p.m. PDT, August 1, 2021.  "Entry form and photographs delivered to me" means that an email is delivered from wetransfer.com to nrgphotocontest@gmail.com to announce the upload of the entry files, and the email is timestamped on or before 11:59 p.m. PDT, August 1, 2021.