Cutty Sark by LeoM - Sergal - Scale 1:78

Yes, another Cutty Sark build log. 😉

I have been lurking on this wonderful site for some 2 months and I cannot but start a build log myself about the beloved Cutty Sark.

Let me first introduce myself.

I am living in Belgium, so English is not my mother tongue, forgive me therefore my mistakes  in English.

As a youngster I started building plastic planes, the Cutty Sark and Saturnus V rocket, but also gliders (Kleine UHU from Graupner, Piviere from Aeromodelli and a glider based on my dad’s plans) and a motorplane (Taxi from Graupner) in balsa wood. A sailing boat (Collie) and a motorcruiser (Nautic – both from Graupner) completed the collection. At a later stage I built a tugboat (Oceanic from Revell) and started on a pusher boat Thyssen II from Graupner. While at sea, I built the Harvey 1847 (from Artesania Latina) and Bluenose II (from Billing Boats) with little tools. Children, chores and other hobbies kept me away from modelling.

Now as a retiree, I have more time but also more hobbies, but modelism is becoming more and more important in my daily life. So I started by renovating my Collie, as well as my Kleine UHU and completed the Thyssen II.

Going out and flying/sailing with my models will be for after the pandemic and in the meantime I dusted off my Cutty Sark from Sergal. Renovating Harvey and Bluenose II will help me in improving my skills. I bought several books about the CS as well as general books on POB modelling. I also discovered Modelshipworld and now I cannot wait any longer to get started – or continue as only the bulkheads have been placed on the keel.

As I aim for a very detailed ship and will be consulting Longridge book, comparing with the Campbell plans, I allow myself a 10 years building time frame.

IMG_20210602_143434.jpg

IMG_20210602_143729.jpg

IMG_20210602_143825.jpg

Leo

Edited by LeoM
Improving readability

Leo Moons

Nous sommes condamnés à être libre

Present build: Cutty Sark by Sergal/Mantua 1:78

Previous builds:

- Collie by Graupner RC Sailing boat

- Blue Nose II by Billing Boats

- Harvey by Artesania Latina

- Oceanic by Revell RC Tugboat

- Thyssen II by Graupner RC Pushing boat

Nice start Sir!!

Brings back some fond memories.

Will follow your progress with interest.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the same course.  My Sergal kit was purchased in the late 1980's and not started until 2009.  Construction took 12 years with attention to detail from Longridge, Underhill, and Campbell.  The plans that I had were of little use and had several serious errors.  I don't know if the errors have been corrected so please check, especially the pinrail and rigging diagrams.  The model is largely kit bashed and scratch built.

It can be done!  Take your time, and always think ahead.  To do a full rigged with sails model you will need a lot more rigging points than shown on the original plans, and a lot more blocks and belaying pins and eyebolts.  Lou

Cuty Finished 1.jpg

Cutty Finished 2.jpg

Cutty Finished 3.jpg

Thank you Harry and Lou for your encouragements. Very nice model, Lou, I now know what to aim for. I will be asking some advice, case needed (and you can count on it, there will be more than 1 case 😉 )

Leo

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

• 2 months later...

At last some progress I can show...

I was not so happy with the dimensions of the frames from the kit and compared them with the Campbell plans. I proofed right and after purchasing plans from NVM, I decided to start bashing the kit and making all the frames by myself. That also meant buying a fretsaw and learning how to use it.

As the NVM plans are on scale 1/100, I had to convert them to scale 1/78. I am lucky that I use LibreOffice and the Draw module has a nice function that makes scaling rather easy. Just add a dimension line and enlarge your image so it fits nicely within the dimension.

In the meantime I also started buying some extra books for further research.

So for now, I can show my first batch of frames from 3 - 70, although some sanding and comparing port to starboard half is still to be done.

Leo

P1090362.JPG

P1090363.JPG

P1090366.JPG

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frames are now fine tuned and checked for symmetry. They sit nicely on the keel.

IMG_20211007_113255895.jpg

IMG_20211007_113522872.jpg

IMG_20211007_113925058.jpg

IMG_20211007_114014068.jpg

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Go on!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 3 weeks later...

I am now fairing and squaring the frames. It takes a lot of time but the final look of the hull will depend on it.

P1090415.JPG

P1090416.JPG

P1090417.JPG

P1090418.JPG

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

The jig I build for mounting the frames can be used in different ways: the hull can be moved forward or aft, but can also be inclined by 45° or 90°. So there is an easy access to the different sides of the hull and still be fixed it its position.

P1090420.JPG

P1090424.JPG

P1090421.JPG

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

I have also prepared some moulds to make sure the hull has its correct dimensions. The thick line represents the thickness of the planking. So I can use the moulds both before and after planking: just printing and cutting on each side of the lines. 🙂

P1090430.JPG

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

Hello Barry,

Welcome to the Cutty Sark club, wishing you a lot of fun!

I still have an old kit and there are four brass sheets, so not sure which you mean. 2 concern the bulwarks, but I am not happy with them so I will construct the bulwarks myself. The other are mainly about the deckhouses and I prefer to have them in teak. So a lot of kit-bashing ahead and not of much help to you 😉.

I hope I will be able to help you with other questions in the near future.

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

On 11/15/2021 at 10:53 AM, Barry Rawson said:

Hello Leo, I  am about to start this Sergal Cutty Sark model as well . I have a question about the two brass sheets that are in the kit , have you figured out how they are supposed to be used ? The instructions are not clear . Thank-you for any information . Barry Rawson.

010.JPG

Great start!  I did use the brass bulwarks.  I made a plywood frame to mount them on, and painted them black.  BTW my entire model is painted.  Since the real ship still exists, painting it makes a more realistic model.  I stained the deck teak and painted everything in accordance with the color scheme of the ship as it is today.  Lou

• 4 months later...

The hull is now as good as ready for planking, still some fine fairing required in some minor areas. The filler blocks in the middle serve a dual purpose: the mast are in the same position as the bulkhead and therefore 2 bulkheads are joined together; the other purpose is their usual purpose (giving more surface to the planking). I like the view when the hull is lined off with tread as it gives a good impression how the ship will look like. The masts are just installed to give a better view and need to be lined up 😉

P1090445.JPG

P1090447.JPG

P1090450.JPG

P1090451.JPG

P1090453.JPG

P1090457.JPG

P1090463.JPG

P1090464.JPG

P1090452.JPG

Edited by LeoM
Reordering the pictures

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

On 11/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Barry Rawson said:

Here is the picture of the brass sheets , the darker images appear to be a plastic ,aqua in colour and non removable . They seem to have no use that I can think off.

Hi Barry,

The Brass Sheeting, when fitted, is supposed to simulate the "Iron" Bulwarks, Deckhouse Ornamentation, Etc.

I used the Bulkhead Brass with the exception of the Curved Stern piece which did not want to fit....

I had these cut out, inc. Freeing Port holes and attached them directly over the first Planking prior to removing the Bulkhead Stanchions.

It made the process of cutting the Freeing Ports very easy and the Bulwark Rubbing Strip easy to fit also. (The gap between thick and thin sections of the Bulwarks.)

(Have a look at Cutty Sark by HOF00 if you feel inclined to do so.)

For the Deckhouses, Etc. I got some Laser cut Cherry from a company called "DoubleO" Laser Services in the US, but I don't think they are in business any longer....

You might find some on E-Bay maybe?

Anyway, my two Cents worth.... 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Bras Bulwarks.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 4 months later...

Time for an update, I would think: I am halfway my first planking.

I did a rough sanding to see how it will look like

IMG_20220811_170930.jpg

IMG_20220811_170958.jpg

IMG_20220811_171213.jpg

IMG_20220811_171321.jpg

IMG_20220811_171741.jpg

IMG_20220811_171755.jpg

IMG_20220811_171821.jpg

IMG_20220811_171831.jpg

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first layer is not yet finished, but I will add brackets for the copper bulwarks in the frames. As I have to turn the hull up and around for the second layer of planking, I stop the 1st layer here and start the 2nd layer now.

In the meantime I am enjoying the beautiful lines of the ship ...

IMG_20221018_114116.jpg

IMG_20221018_113755.jpg

IMG_20221018_113713.jpg

IMG_20221018_113639.jpg

IMG_20221018_113625.jpg

IMG_20221018_113538.jpg

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

Leo, I started my cutty by Sergal a couple of years ago and have set it aside. It is an enormous ship and so much fun to build. I am 75 (soon to be 76) and I wonder if I have the years left to finish it. I have much of the deck furniture finished and I suppose I should get back to it.  like you I am not sure about the brass pieces.

Happy building 

Ric 

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work so far.  I used a panel cutter to lift the brass parts off the sheet.  It did not turn the edges like a shears would.  Pay close attention to the ruddder details.  Longridge shows a different configuration than shown on the plans that came with the kit.   Lou

On 11/15/2021 at 3:37 PM, LeoM said:

Hello Barry,

Welcome to the Cutty Sark club, wishing you a lot of fun!

I still have an old kit and there are four brass sheets, so not sure which you mean. 2 concern the bulwarks, but I am not happy with them so I will construct the bulwarks myself. The other are mainly about the deckhouses and I prefer to have them in teak. So a lot of kit-bashing ahead and not of much help to you 😉.

I hope I will be able to help you with other questions in the near future.

Overplank the bulwarks on the interior And paint the exterior.  Drill the holes for nails.  LOU

thanks for the thumb-ups and comments 😄

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

• 6 months later...

Oeps, I notice that it is more than 6 months ago since I last posted some progress on my Cutty Sark. Not that I have been working constantly on her, but the brass bulwark caused more scratching behind the ear than I expected. To tell the truth there were more than 526 planks to be laid on the 2nd layer. But having polished the hull the best I could, it is a joy to feel the lines of the hull 😄

And now I will have to start on the 2500+ copper plates 🤔

IMG_20230525_172918.jpg

IMG_20230525_172935.jpg

IMG_20230525_173000.jpg

IMG_20230525_173044.jpg

IMG_20230525_173056.jpg

IMG_20230525_173122.jpg

IMG_20230525_173137.jpg

Leo Moons

Previous builds:

Any day you can 'move the ball a few more yards downfield' is an accomplishment.  'Your hull looks well build to date.  Now, if only Sergal would make a 'decent' Thermopylae at the same scale.  Their 1:124 is a real challenge, and the reason they went with the smaller scale was to have a low price-point.  A better version in a larger scale (it wouldn't take too much to modify their Cutty, since many components are interchangeable) would be a better value even at a higher price.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Being not so much fan of Sergal: what you see here has no single piece in it from the kit I bought. To be honest, that was some 25 years ago and the wood is in poor condition.

Leo Moons

Previous builds: