Hi All, I used to be a moderator on this site when Capt'n Pugwash started it up (you'd have to be a really old grey beard to remember that).  At any rate I'm not doing much ship model building any more except making for my Sea of Galilee boats and kits.  I have a really nice little library of 7 ship modeling books that are all in excellent condition and I'd just as soon see them being used and put to good use rather than gathering dust on my book shelf.

I'm selling the lot of them for for $70 (many are selling for $40 or more used online) with the buyer paying for the shipping.   Please PM me here if you are interested and I'll post back here when they've sold.

Fully Framed Model Swan Class Sloops vols 1 and 2

Anatomy of the Ship: Frigate Diana and Victory

Rigging Period ship Models

The Dory Book

Miniature Merchant Ships

20210603_083331.thumb.jpg.28000de37c90e57cdb4863389b4bd7d5.jpg

Hi, Scott! Nice to see you pop in, even if only to offload some books. That's a good offer -- hopefully you'll have a taker soon.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Sent you a message!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Hey Chris good to see that you are still here and active!

Thanks to everyone who messaged me about the books.  They are now sold.

@thibaultron there are two types of kits available, a 16" kit which is  square rigged and a 27" kit which is lateen rigged.  These kits are built on a strongback and are single planked.  The original boat won a Gold Award at the Midwest Model Ships Competition quite a few years ago and I think that maybe it was photographed for Ships in Scale?  At any rate a collector from Germany contacted me about the model and asked if it was for sale so I sent it to him, built another and that one sold as well.  I then developed the kits and have been selling them as well as commissioned models ever since. 

I've built models as large as 48" but I'll never do that again as the shipping crate barely fit in our mini-van and the shipping cost via UPS was over $250 (too big for USPS).   I've also been contacted by folks claiming to be in the motion picture industry to build a full sized boat but I turned that down since I can't build anything of that scale although I have built 17' kayaks.

The cost of a 16" kit is $ 108 with free Priority Mail to the continental US (more for overseas) and a 27" kit is $160 with shipping extra.  The posts for the build log of the first boat were lost when the original MSW went down years ago but here is a link to my website with more details.

http://www.semillerguitars.com/sea-of-galilee-boats/

Good to see you back, Scott, even if only for a little bit.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 hours ago, scottacus said:

@thibaultron there are two types of kits available, a 16" kit which is  square rigged and a 27" kit which is lateen rigged.  These kits are built on a strongback and are single planked.  The original boat won a Gold Award at the Midwest Model Ships Competition quite a few years ago and I think that maybe it was photographed for Ships in Scale?  At any rate a collector from Germany contacted me about the model and asked if it was for sale so I sent it to him, built another and that one sold as well.  I then developed the kits and have been selling them as well as commissioned models ever since. 

I made one of the a few years ago. Different and fun. The finished model looks good and is very good value

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I'll have to look, but gave model to my wife's surgeon.

Saw the "original" galilee boat in museum next to the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) . Framed hull pretty well preserved -well worth visit

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Stuglo,

Do you remember if the "original" boat you saw was square rigged or lanteen?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Asked and answered.  The Excavations of an Ancient Boat from the Sea of Galilee by Shelly Wachsmann, 1990  states it was a square sail.  The Migdal Boat Mosaic from first century CE indicates this as well.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)